6" Pour Decision

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

6" Pour Decision

Postby Pour Decision » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:11 pm

I'm just a new member here but have been lurking in the shadows for quite some time.

I finally decided to join the forum and pay it back for all the useful info I have taken from here.

The plan is to build a 6" 4 bubble plate semi modular still on the cheap. I have already made a start by picking up some 6" pipe and a couple reducers from the scrappy. I have set out the sight glass positions and cut the holes already.

Next step is to turn the 6" to 4" reducer into a 6" to 3" reducer.

6" Pipe

6" to 3" Reducer
Pour Decision

equipment: 4" Glass Bubbler

Re: 6" Pour Decision

Postby Pour Decision » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:21 pm

I really wanted a 6" to 3" reducer but the scrappy didn't have one so I had to make one.

I started with the 6" to 4" reducer then added a 3" flange to it. The flange was a left over sight glass flange I made for a previous build. I made a primitive tool out of wood to form the flange.
I annealed the 3" copper before forming it.

Reducer and flange

Forming tool. This side is stage one of a two stage process where I used a press to form the copper.

This first press gave it a tapered flare. Pipe looks flat but is isn't.

Second stage I turned both the die and punch over to flatten the flange.
Pour Decision

Postby Mr Tinker » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:42 pm

Very nice start. Looking forward to seeing this one finished!
Mr Tinker

equipment: 4" Copper Modular Bubbler, 4 Multicap Plates
110l Copper Boiler on Gas
180l Stainless Fermenter

Postby dans.brew » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:58 pm

I like your tool for making flanges... life is a lot easier with the right tools! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby RC Al » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:47 pm

Woot, another 6" build. Looks like your shooting for something similar to wooduck's?

If you are so inclined, I would love anything up to 4 of those 6-4" reducers next time you are at the scrappy, happy to pay postage, haven't seen any ever around here, even one would help :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Pour Decision » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:53 am

I'll Keep you in mind RC AI when I'm at the scrappy next. It's hit and miss as to what he has on offer, so I just grab what I think I'll need. If I see anything you may be interested in I'll grab it.

I did get the idea for this still from woody's 6" but it is going to be quite different. For a start there is no plate tree, all the plates are fitted individually. Another thing with the plates is that they are stainless not copper which you will see in a post soon. Also, the reflux condenser is going to be modular and fitted using 6" (expensive) Tri clamps. I want to be able to put a packed section in for neutral spirit. I'm thinking of cutting the bottom 500mm off the column and turning it into the packed section as it's not really needed at the bottom. This will also save me some money as this stuff is expensive as hell.

I should mention, I'm trying to build this column for under $1000 :laughing-rolling: as that's what I hope to sell my glass plate column for once I finish this 6" column.

Cheers
Pour Decision

Postby Pour Decision » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:14 am

So after making the 6" to 3" reducer I decided to make the 3" 180deg bend. I took a trip to the scrappy and picked up some 3" pipe but had no luck with 3" 90deg elbows. Being impatient and having a limited window of opportunity to work on the column I decided to make the 180 deg bend out of the straight 3" pipe. The first time round the angles were a bit off and the two vertical pipes were nowhere near parallel so I had to pull it apart and do it again. The end result isn't perfect but it will do for now.

Being impatient I made the flange for the reducer before I actually received the tri clamps. I made the first flange from 1/4" tube then once the tri clamps arrived I found out that the overall diameter once flattened was too small. I then made the flange out of 3/8" tube but once again the diameter was too small. I ended up making the flange out of 1/2" and it is perfect.

I should also mention that I'm trying to make this entire column using soft solder only, just like all my columns.

I have to go past the scrappy regularly for work so I dropped in a week after finishing the 180 deg bend and look what I found :-D 2 90 deg 3" elbows. They are going into the shed and I'll remake the 180 deg bend later.

Pour Decision

Postby Pour Decision » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:44 am

A little more progress.

I have made three 4" flanges so far and have contoured two of them to fit the 6" pipe. should get all 4 finished tonight hopefully.

Pour Decision

Postby bluc » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:20 pm

Did this build eventuate?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Pour Decision » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:27 am

Hey Bluc, I'm still building this one and it's almost finished. It got put on the back burner for a little while whilst I built a 4" glasser for a mate and then another glasser for myself, this time a 3" one.

I made the decision not to post any more of the build due to Stig's comment in the welcome centre. He said "Also looking suspiciously like a commercial venture" and when questioned why he said this he has failed to respond.

I am in no way a commercial venture. I'm just a guy who loves to build stuff, especially stills. I have never sold a still and didn't even charge my friend for the materials for his still. I find it disheartening that people can be so quick to judge without knowing the full story. :sad:
Pour Decision

Postby Sam. » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:39 am

When you start saying you making multiple stills and they arnt for yourself it rings alarm bells.

The forum has been burnt in the past so please forgive our suspiciousness.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby clintonb » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:18 am

Hi Pour,

I know you were a bit disheartened by comments and didn't want to post anymore about the build but I would LOVE to see what progress you have made with this build :D :banana-gotpics:
clintonb

equipment: 118L SS boiler with a copper 4 Inch, 8 bubble plated column and a 650mm packed section complete with a carterhead and gin basket.
35L SS boiler with a copper 2 Inch pelican pot and gin basket.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:27 pm

:text-+1:
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby bluc » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:05 pm

:text-+1: :text-+1:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby nuddy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:50 pm

:text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1:
nuddy

equipment: 2" bokabob
4" blockhead bubbler build in progress

Postby spiltdrink » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:41 pm

:text-+1:
spiltdrink

equipment: 1 X Reciprocating saw