Bitsa the bubbla build

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Bitsa the bubbla build

Postby mattyb » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:50 pm

Hi guys

Well the missus got the shits with me hogging the power all day with the 2" bola and has agreed that I need a bubbler so here we go.

Am actually building a 4" glasser from primus glass. Can't source 4" copper so have got my hands on a meter of 4" stainless for $50 so will be using that. Already have a 500mm 2" shotty off my pot for the PC so just started today on the RC which will be 150mm but am just researching now what size tube and how many for the internals.

Nothing new in this build but I am hoping by documenting it people may catch my mistakes plus I enjoy watching build threads even if they are all the same.

So below pic is the progress of the Rc so far. Getting the hang of stainless to copper soldering but does anyone have any tricks on how to get the scorch marks off stainless?
rc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mattyb on Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mattyb

equipment: 4" Glasser

Re: Bitsa the bubbla build

Postby mattyb » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:00 pm

also found this in our shearing shed. Old copper fire extinguisher. Should clean up nicely for a storage vessel.
extinguisher.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mattyb

Postby j0sh2008 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:53 pm

nice mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Looking forward to seeing the build
j0sh2008

equipment: 4" 5star still - 4 plates + 500mm packed section
100L milk can boiler - 2400W & 3600W FSD elements.
2 X 1000L IBC - Recirculating water

Postby db1979 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:39 pm

New bubbler build thread :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:

Watching with interest :handgestures-thumbupleft:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby dans.brew » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:10 pm

Put pleanty of pics up... they speak a 1000 words!
That fire extinguisher will look sweet all cleaned up and full of quality spirit... perhaps put it back on wall in shearing shed, you could sneak a swig when no-one is looking and no-one would be the wiser :laughing-rolling:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby brewster2 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:29 pm

do not want to ruin your day but these are all soldered using old lead solder not the lead free stuff we buy from bunnings.might be dangerous to put your good drinking gear in there. i had one once was going to polish it up but someone swiped it from me.other members might care to confirm my concern <re old fire extinguisher>
brewster2

equipment: 5 star bubbler

Postby mattyb » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:31 pm

brewster2 wrote:do not want to ruin your day but these are all soldered using old lead solder not the lead free stuff we buy from bunnings.might be dangerous to put your good drinking gear in there. i had one once was going to polish it up but someone swiped it from me.other members might care to confirm my concern <re old fire extinguisher>

Didn't think of that. I have seen other people use them. Thoughts people???
mattyb

Postby Sam. » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:02 am

Hate to bust bubbles but I would check that the copper tank isn't lead soldered if your planning on storing high proof spirit in it...
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby mattyb » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:01 pm

well this should keep me busy for a bit and have my plates sorted soon.

bits.jpg

Also picked up 1m of 2.5" tube to make my plates. Nice and thick walls. Guessing 2mm. Took some heat to anneal it!

bits.jpg
Last edited by mattyb on Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattyb

Postby woodduck » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:22 pm

Good job mate. Good luck with the build :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby mattyb » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:27 pm

bit of progress today. top late of the rc cut and drilled. Starting to look like an RC. Hope I get away with the gaps around the edge. The 3/4 tubes will be brazed in.

Speaking of Braze, do I ned to be looking for lead free Brazing rods? I got some from buntings today, 2% and 5% silver.

rc1.jpg
mattyb

Postby dans.brew » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Sam. wrote:Hate to bust bubbles but I would check that the copper tank isn't lead soldered if your planning on storing high proof spirit in it...

Good point Sam... forgot about this!
Would hate to ruin a good few litres of quality rum.
dans.brew

Postby db1979 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Soft solder should bridge those gaps, especially with the aid of gravity (RC on its side with the gap at the lowest point). I've got no idea if silver solder will do it sorry.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby mattyb » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:17 pm

db1979 wrote:Soft solder should bridge those gaps, especially with the aid of gravity (RC on its side with the gap at the lowest point). I've got no idea if silver solder will do it sorry.

Yeah am planning soft solder on the outside and brazing the tubes. Hope you are right. Will start upright and then put on its side if the gaps don't fill I guess
mattyb

Postby dans.brew » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:24 pm

:text-+1:
Soft solder should do it... use some bakers soldering flux to help that solder really flow into the larger gaps.
As db said.. use good old gravity, otherwise you will probably be just fighting it. Good luck!
dans.brew

Postby woodduck » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:21 am

Make sure you clean your copper well after hard soldering cause it burns the shit outta everything. The black shit it leaves will cause trouble with soft solder, soft needs real clean surfaces.

I believe that the hard brazing rods from bunnings should be fine from a lead free prospective (I think all hard brazing/silver solder is?)

Why not soft solder all of it? There's a good thread in there on building a shotty :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby mattyb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:29 pm

woodduck wrote:Make sure you clean your copper well after hard soldering cause it burns the shit outta everything. The black shit it leaves will cause trouble with soft solder, soft needs real clean surfaces.

I believe that the hard brazing rods from bunnings should be fine from a lead free prospective (I think all hard brazing/silver solder is?)

Why not soft solder all of it? There's a good thread in there on building a shotty :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah have read that thread but i like hard soldering the tubes as i find it easy to do the outside without worrying about melting the solder on the tubes. Might give it a try though to see how it goes. I did my PC shorty thhe hard solder way and it was piss easy and no leaks first try.
mattyb

Postby mattyb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:34 pm

So its a rainy day and I am house bound with the kids so thought i would try getting some easy stuff done. I was going to see if I could get the copper tube hot enough on the stove to anneal it and make some plates. Wife comes along before she heads to work and asks what i am doing. I tell her and she says why not throw it in our fireplace...... God she is smart and I am dumb lol how easy was that!!!

fire.jpg

So have the first plate flattened, how does this look for the first template. rods will be 10mm stainless x 4. Am doing Perf plates. is that enough room around the outside of the glass?? its about 2.3mm from edge of glass to edge of plate

glass.jpg
Last edited by mattyb on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattyb

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:14 pm

Nice use of a good looking fire :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You’re not going to cut out the middle of the plate are you?
I’m confused about your comment 2.3mm from edge of glass..
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby mattyb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:26 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Nice use of a good looking fire :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You’re not going to cut out the middle of the plate are you?
I’m confused about your comment 2.3mm from edge of glass..

Sorry should read 23 mm. no the inside circle is where I am putting my grid to drill the holes.
mattyb

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills