Joycy's 4" Bubbler Build

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Joycy's 4" Bubbler Build

Postby Joycy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:08 pm

Thanks Peter, I think you may have helped me realise I was running out of alcohol. I used what I thought was about 15 litres of TFFV wash, I took 200ml a threw it out, got 300ml at 94% then it started acting up. However I turned reflux off at that point and realised it quickly went from 86% - 20% so I am assuming it just ran out of alcohol a lot quicker than I thought it would.
Joycy

equipment: Currently building a 4" bubbler

Postby Joycy » Tue May 21, 2019 9:59 pm

Soooooooooo, shortly after my last post in January, I started a new career that has taken up all of my time for the past 4.5 months. I had just finished my first neutral and found myself with zero time soon after but its time to get back to it! For my first time on the built bubbler, I made an FFV. After some (what I think) was strict cutting I ended up with 5 bottles of good 40% and 6 bottles of average stuff. Saying that, the Mrs blind tested both with Belvedere and found the good stuff as good while picking the average stuff as ok for vodka but not as good as the others. It's been a shame to not have as much time as I would have liked but next up is hopefully a single malt and a bourbon, I have a few 2lt American oak barrels to make use of :-D
Joycy

equipment: Currently building a 4" bubbler

Postby Professor Green » Wed May 22, 2019 11:27 am

It's definitely worth taking harsh cuts on your neutral. I usually only take around half of my yield as hearts, preferring quality over quantity. You're not really losing that much given the volume you end up with for the the cost of making it.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Bobsyauncle » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:43 pm

Hey Joycy, look good! How'd you end up going with the bourbon run? Have you mage any adjustments since you finished the build?
Bobsyauncle

equipment: 4 plate 4" bubbler with packed section
Copper T500

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills