Joycy's 4" Bubbler Build

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Joycy's 4" Bubbler Build

Postby dans.brew » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:17 pm

Joycy wrote:Cheers guys, i reckon the 100mm copper that I got was in such bad condition, it won't shine as good as new copper but I'll do my best to get it as clean and shiny as possible. What kind of a clear coat would go on to keep its shine?

Have you tried a citric acid bath? Between citric, steel wool and fine wet and dry sandpaper it should come up fairly good... well thats what i found worked well anyway.
I got some automotive clear coat from supercheap to go on mine, just need the time to clean my still up again. As long as the clear coat is rated to handle high temps.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Joycy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:11 pm

I have given it a citric acid bath and it has worked wonders, it just seems a little more dull than when new copper is cleaned. I have steel wool and some different grades of wet&dry too so I'll give it a good going over when it is all finished. I might try the clear coat straight off when I clean it first time because it takes it out of you to get it shiney
Joycy

equipment: Currently building a 4" bubbler

Postby dans.brew » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:32 am

I was going to clear coat mine when i first cleaned it up but thought better of it in case i had to re solder anything. Turns out it was a good move as i had a couple spots leak, but my initial leak tests never showed them up.
dans.brew

Postby Joycy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:27 pm

I did have photos if the PC build but I can't seem to find them :?
I've loosely put what I have done together, just to feel that little senseif accomplishment :-D There is still a lot of cleaning to do, the boiler to source and finish, the parrot and the bubble plates, however it is getting there.
Regarding the bubble plates, how tight do they have to be to function properly? I am planning on sitting them between modules but when I sat water in it today, it leaked out eventually. I'm thinking it is not water tight but flow is low enough to function properly? There are no major holes or gaps just not absolutely water tight

20181012_155211-1470x3024.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Joycy on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joycy

Postby dans.brew » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:42 pm

Looking good! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Its a big moment when you can finally clamp components together. I think the main thing with the plates is that they hold full bath depth.. ie the liquid is as deep as the the top of the downcommer allows it to be. A slow leak i don't think should be a problem... a mod might correct me if im wrong.
dans.brew

Postby Joycy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:51 pm

I had just chamfered the inside edge of the module and the outside edge of the plate (which is just a round plate at the minute) just to test it. I poured water in and it sat for about 60 seconds before starting to slowly drain so it is not major but is not water tight. I would imagine it is fairly difficult to get it water tight so just hoping it it good enough to work?
Joycy

Postby db1979 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:04 pm

A slow leak on the inside of the column is no problem as rising vapour pressure will hold the bath. If it's leaking on the outside of the column then there's serious safety issues. But if it's inside then full steam ahead :handgestures-thumbupleft:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Joycy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:31 pm

I was hoping that would be the case, I've only tested the 1 but it was definitely not leaking outside. Hopefully after getting it all together, none of them will leak outside the seals ha.
Joycy

Postby Joycy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:03 pm

Well this bloody happened :razz: walked in to FSD for a 4" ferrule for my keg boiler and walked out with this bad boy. Just the bubble plates and parrot to finish and I'll finally get to start making the good stuff. Feels like Christmas has come early, shiney things make me happy :mrgreen:

20181017_065500-1470x3024.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joycy

Postby dans.brew » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:38 pm

That is one shiney bad boy! :music-deathmetal:
Just think of how much time and polish you will save... :laughing-rolling:
dans.brew

Postby The Stig » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:24 am

Joycy wrote:Well this bloody happened :razz: walked in to FSD for a 4" ferrule for my keg boiler and walked out with this bad boy. [/attachment]

Upselling at my best :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby db1979 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:48 am

Thongs in photo or it didn't happen :teasing-tease:

Nice choice :clap: better make sure your bubbler is going to be nice and shiny too! Mine would look out of place on that boiler :shifty:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Joycy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:59 am

I will have to spend that extra time shining it up, at least for the initial photo :-D What is recommended for initial clean of flux etc after the build? Citric acid bath and a vinegar run? Sacrificial run?
Joycy

Postby db1979 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:19 am

Joycy wrote:I will have to spend that extra time shining it up, at least for the initial photo :-D What is recommended for initial clean of flux etc after the build? Citric acid bath and a vinegar run? Sacrificial run?

Yes to all three.
db1979

Postby dannymars » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:39 am

Joycy wrote:I will have to spend that extra time shining it up, at least for the initial photo :-D What is recommended for initial clean of flux etc after the build? Citric acid bath and a vinegar run? Sacrificial run?

Barkeepers Friend is amazing on copper (oxalic acid)
dannymars

equipment: Homemade pot still

Postby Joycy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:20 am

Barkeepers Friend is amazing on copper (oxalic acid)[/quote]

Is that a rub or does it just soak in it? Is it similar to what citric acid would do?
Joycy

Postby Professor Green » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:36 pm

How good are those milk cans in the flesh Joycy - photos really don’t do them justice do they.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby The Stig » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:39 pm

Professor Green wrote:How good are those milk cans in the flesh Joycy - photos really don’t do them justice do they.

That’s what I keep telling people.
Soon as he seen them his eyes lit up, that’s when I knew I had him :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Professor Green » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:06 pm

:laughing-rolling:

Just out of interest, is it possible to replace the tap style outlet on the butterfly valve with a standard TC connection? It’s the only gripe I have with my milk can.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby The Stig » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:21 pm

With the new ones coming it will be.
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy