Glasser first sav run questions

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Glasser first sav run questions

Postby mattyb » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:48 pm

Hi all,
Finally doing my sac run and got a few burning questions. I have 4 plates and the top 3 loaded but the fourth only has a small amount of liquid and not really bubbling much. Now have taken off about 2 litres and the last plate is dry and the middle plate hasn't got much on it. I used a rum wash and about 5 litres of heads and tails from previous neutral washes. Running it on 2400 watt and it's coming off at 90% . Any thoughts or is there any good tutorials of what to expect when doing a run etc. have been doing lots of reading
mattyb

equipment: 4" Glasser

Re: Glasser first sav run questions

Postby db1979 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:07 pm

Sieve plates or bubble caps? If sieve plates, it could be that you're not getting vapour lock on the bottom downcomer. You could try adding some wash to the downcomer before the start of the run to make sure it has fluid in it, to kick-start the vapour lock. Not sure what could be the cause if you're running caps.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby mattyb » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:10 pm

Yes it is sieve plates. Will give that a try next time
mattyb

Postby bayshine » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:19 pm

Maybe you’re running a bit fast , try for about 2 lt an hour and hold full reflux 20 mins beforehand . Is this a perf plate rig or bubble caps? I’ve always found the bottom plate to not load up or bubble as much as the other plates. Generally more reflux will load the plates more. Maybe you have a vapour leak, as this can ruin how your plates load as well ?
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby mattyb » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:22 pm

Yep it's perf plate. Will pull apart tomorrow and have a bit of a look. Just found a tiny chip in the bottom glass bit not seeing any vapour leak. Will replace and see how we go
mattyb

Return to Plated Column Stills