Chocko's Bubbler begins...!

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Chocko's Bubbler begins...!

Postby db1979 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:42 pm

You've scrubbed, soaked in citric and given it vinegar and sacrificial runs. If the foreshots, heads, hearts and tails of your sacrificial run don't budge any remaining residue inside your still, subsequent runs won't remove it either. Also, most substances aren't coloured, so the cuts jars that are colourless could very well have something nasty in them. Other's cleaning runs that don't have that colour aren't an indication of the success or failure of your cleaning run. If that colour appears in your next run, then you'll have a serious issue.

My guess is that the colour is from polymeric compounds formed in the flame of your torch, basically precursors to soot. They'd be formed due to incomplete combustion, reactions between the complex chemicals within the flame and the flux or by impurities in the gas.

Got a name for your still?
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Chocko6969 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:11 pm

db1979 wrote:You've scrubbed, soaked in citric and given it vinegar and sacrificial runs. If the foreshots, heads, hearts and tails of your sacrificial run don't budge any remaining residue inside your still, subsequent runs won't remove it either. Also, most substances aren't coloured, so the cuts jars that are colourless could very well have something nasty in them. Other's cleaning runs that don't have that colour aren't an indication of the success or failure of your cleaning run. If that colour appears in your next run, then you'll have a serious issue.

My guess is that the colour is from polymeric compounds formed in the flame of your torch, basically precursors to soot. They'd be formed due to incomplete combustion, reactions between the complex chemicals within the flame and the flux or by impurities in the gas.

Thanks for that, I'm learning all the time and love these little bits of info!

No name as yet, it's not a totally unique still so I really have no idea on a name?

Chocko
Chocko6969

equipment: Bubbler now operational!

Postby Lowie » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:17 pm

db1979 wrote:You've scrubbed, soaked in citric and given it vinegar and sacrificial runs. If the foreshots, heads, hearts and tails of your sacrificial run don't budge any remaining residue inside your still, subsequent runs won't remove it either. Also, most substances aren't coloured, so the cuts jars that are colourless could very well have something nasty in them. Other's cleaning runs that don't have that colour aren't an indication of the success or failure of your cleaning run. If that colour appears in your next run, then you'll have a serious issue.

that's very technical DB. Do you read science journals? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:57 pm

No, I think he writes them :laughing-rolling: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Always love your posts DB, couldn’t have built my boiler shroud with out you :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby db1979 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:33 pm

Lowie wrote:that's very technical DB. Do you read science journals? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Not anymore 8-} they're bloody boring :laughing-rolling:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby bluc » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:35 pm

Too busy stillin db :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Chocko6969 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:02 pm

Sorry (at the risk of repeating myself) still no name for the still.!
bubblerrrr_resize_2.jpg

So I've ran about half dozen TPW stripping washes through my still and the initial fore shots colouring from my sac run (and second run) etc has disappeared thank Christ! This makes me fairly certain my old alc from turbos was just filthy, all clean from the start now which is a relief.

I'm getting onto the packed section now (550mm), just curious as to what size holes people have been successful with? I'm making it all modular so the plates will sit the same method as my modules, easy for cleaning etc. I was thinking about 3mm holes about 5mm apart, thoughts please?
Also, is the top of the packed section just left open to the RC, no plate required?
packed 01_resize.jpg

I'm in the process of filling these, top is low wines and bottom will be hearts @ 40% for Gin and/or ageing and oaking. Have been continuously fermenting and have the low wines at about 15ltrs of around 90%ABV so far, ready for spirit runs.
GuinessKegs_1.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice on the plate/s holes for the packed section.

Chocko
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chocko6969

Postby RC Al » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:56 pm

What packing are you planning on?

Some ss 6mm hole mesh might be better or some bigger holes in the packing retainer, depends on what you want to use, having it close in size to a sieve plate hole may cause issues?
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Chocko6969 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:55 pm

RC Al wrote:What packing are you planning on?

Some ss 6mm hole mesh might be better or some bigger holes in the packing retainer, depends on what you want to use, having it close in size to a sieve plate hole may cause issues?

So the more open space the better here? I've seen some that are basically open except for a couple of 'cross-bar' type of retainer.

I've acquired a heap of SS scrubbers, copper scourers and have a pack of SS saddles also, was going to use a combination of these and see how it goes.

Chocko
Chocko6969

Postby woodduck » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:03 am

Pretty sure my holes are around the 5-6mm size too. My top is open.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bluc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:06 pm

Mine are 8 from memory I just made a copper plate..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Chocko6969 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:22 pm

Thanks everyone above, I'll have a crack at 5mm I reckon.

Chocko
Chocko6969

Postby Lowie » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:21 pm

Just to throw a spanner in the works, mine are 3mm and I've got a shit load of 'em...
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Chocko6969 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:00 am

Lowie wrote:Just to throw a spanner in the works, mine are 3mm and I've got a shit load of 'em...

I might give this a go, 5mm and x4 12mm holes just for the hell of it, see how it performs!

Chocko

perf plate holes PS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chocko6969

Postby Justin_P » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:14 pm

Awesome build mate, just read it from start to finish as its very similar to what I am thinking of building. Look forward to seeing more.

Justin
Justin_P

equipment: 5 Star 4" Eliminator and keg boiler

Postby Chocko6969 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:42 am

Justin_P wrote:Awesome build mate, just read it from start to finish as its very similar to what I am thinking of building. Look forward to seeing more.

Justin

Thanks Justin, it's been fun so far and really satisfying when the bloody thing works! I couldn't do it without all of the help from this forum, great advice and don't be afraid to ask stupid questions (obviously after searching first!).

Chocko
Chocko6969

Postby Chocko6969 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:52 am

G'day all,

I've now got the plate for my packed section done, should be OK but we'll soon see I guess.
This PS will have copper mesh, SS mesh and SS saddles, very interested to see how it goes.

While I've been building this PS, I've been running my still doing stripping runs to collect a good stockpile of low wines ready for spirit runs (18ltrs @88%ABV so far). I've also used this as testing for any leaks on modules, especially on soldered areas before I do a final polish and clear coat.

Chocko

packed 02_resize.jpg
packed 03_resize.jpg
Chocko6969

Postby db1979 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:19 am

18 L of 88 % will be 40 L of 40 %. You're gonna make some serious amount of neutral with that :handgestures-thumbupleft:
db1979

Postby Chocko6969 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:47 am

db1979 wrote:18 L of 88 % will be 40 L of 40 %. You're gonna make some serious amount of neutral with that :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sure is, my whole idea is to have a certain volume sitting as stock, once I start using this then I'll be stripping more to replace, call it the circle of life! It's a 30ltr keg so a few more stripping runs yet. I could start spirit runs but haven't quite finished the packed section.

Chocko

GuinKegPressV_resize.jpg
Chocko6969

Postby Chocko6969 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:45 pm

Chocko6969 wrote:
woodduck wrote:Get a good clear coat and put on it before it starts to patina :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I used this, works a treat

https://goo.gl/images/9AsxXq

Thanks for this, I'll do the sacrificial run first I think to make sure I don't have any pinholes in any of the soldering and have to heat it again.

Chocko

Hi Woodduck, I've tried the hi temp clear from ScheapAuto on my learning piece (trombone Z filter in another thread), not sure if I got a dud can or what but the finish was shit, and I'll blow my own horn here and say I've always been very careful and successful with spray paints etc. I soaked in citric, scrub with steel wool, soaked again and then fine wool. Then polished and wiped it all down with isopropyl wipes.

This one above, I did read it all and it didn't mention anything about higher temps, can it handle 100c?

Chocko
Chocko6969

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills