Cooling hoses

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Cooling hoses

Postby The Stig » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:58 pm

I got mine at Bunnings
https://www.bunnings.com.au/kinetic-15m ... r_p5162780
Had to add the 15mm nipples to complete it
Last edited by The Stig on Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Jimmy. » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:18 am

It works out to be about $200 in fittings and such for the style stig put up.
lots of adapters for size changes as well
Jimmy.

equipment: still spirit 25l reflux still with column extension

Postby The Stig » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:22 pm

Jimmy. wrote:It works out to be about $200 in fittings and such for the style stig put up.

Correct but gives me the ability to reconfigure with minimal fuss just like the still itself :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I’m sure it could be done much cheaper if you know somebody or aren’t worried about the change ability
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Jimmy. » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:51 pm

That is true Stig

The connectors/ adapters are cheap off www.5stardistilling.com.au/ ebay. The hose fittings are where it gets expensive and when you pick up 10m of hose not 5m! Plus side is I will have lots of length

All ordered now. Have to wait for all the parts to arrive :(
Jimmy.

Postby Chocko6969 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:14 pm

The Stig wrote:
Jimmy. wrote:It works out to be about $200 in fittings and such for the style stig put up.

Correct but gives me the ability to reconfigure with minimal fuss just like the still itself :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I’m sure it could be done much cheaper if you know somebody or aren’t worried about the change ability

Thanks for the inspiration on the hoses Stig, I've managed this setup getting the fittings at staff discount so it didn't hurt so much!

I've ditched the braided hoses which is a pity because I loved the look but this should perform nicely. Still can't find a suitable IBC so running my sacrificial alc run this weekend if I can find the time!

Chocko

cooling 02_resize.jpg
cooling 01_resize.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chocko6969

equipment: Bubbler now operational!

Postby dans.brew » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:48 am

Nice job chocko! :music-deathmetal:
Those water fittings go well with the shiny copper.
Now you've got the fun job of filling that barrel behind your new toy.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby RC Al » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:00 am

Nice job mate.

Is that framed thing behind the still an uncut sheet of Jim beam labels? Cool mancave decoration. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by RC Al on Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Chocko6969 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:49 pm

RC Al wrote:Nice job mate.

Is that framed thing behind the still an uncut sheet of Jim beam labels? Cool mancave decoration. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yes that's right, there's a bit of degradation on the corners but it's a full sheet of Beam labels from about 1967 (1795 and the label says 'for over 172 years). I got them from eBay in the US back in the early days of online shopping. I was going to chuck them online but really don't want to sell! Nearly $400 to get it framed too.

Need to get this cooling system sorted and struggling to find time at the moment, but definitely firing it up soon, can't wait!

Chocko
Chocko6969

Postby Jimmy. » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:55 am

Finally set mine up after all the bits turned up.
I just used cheap garden hose for the testing of the unit as they didn't have 12mm internal hose in something more suitable.

I got the 1500lph https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-550w- ... p_p4816365
Does anyone run a second bleed on the pumps as the still wouldnt need the full 240lpm flow
Jimmy.

Postby hillzabilly » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:56 pm

Jimmy. wrote:Finally set mine up after all the bits turned up.
I just used cheap garden hose for the testing of the unit as they didn't have 12mm internal hose in something more suitable.

I got the 1500lph https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-550w- ... p_p4816365
Does anyone run a second bleed on the pumps as the still wouldnt need the full 240lpm flow

I fitted a tee piece after the pump and befor the hose exits the coolant tank ,then fitted a valve off the tee wich when opened takes the pressure of the pump and circulates the coolant water in the tank,wich is handy ifn I am only running my 25lt set up on 900wt,then the valve is all open but with 80lt boiler with 3600wt its almost closed .cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Jimmy. » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:07 am

Cheers Hillzabilly
I guess another trip to bunnings is in order!
I ordered all the brass and stainless fittings off ali express which saved huge amounts from buying local and the male to female adapter choices made it easier too!
Jimmy.

Postby EziTasting » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:19 am

hillzabilly wrote:I fitted a tee piece after the pump and befor the hose exits the coolant tank ,then fitted a valve off the tee wich when opened takes the pressure of the pump and circulates the coolant water in the tank,wich is handy ifn I am only running my 25lt set up on 900wt,then the valve is all open but with 80lt boiler with 3600wt its almost closed .cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Not sure why, but this befuddles me... could you put up a picture/drawing...?
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Chocko6969 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:10 pm

EziTasting wrote:
hillzabilly wrote:I fitted a tee piece after the pump and befor the hose exits the coolant tank ,then fitted a valve off the tee wich when opened takes the pressure of the pump and circulates the coolant water in the tank,wich is handy ifn I am only running my 25lt set up on 900wt,then the valve is all open but with 80lt boiler with 3600wt its almost closed .cheers hillzabilly ;-)

I reckon what Hillz is saying is that the pump is probably not a variable speed pump, therefore always trying to pump at full speed. If it's not able to, it may be possible for the pump to have issues with pressure back the way it's trying to pump and strain the electrics and/or mechanics of the impeller (depending on the pump type). If he opens the valve on the tee then this would alleviate the pressure coming from the pump and still get plenty to the condensers. Hope this makes sense.

Chocko
Chocko6969

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:42 pm

EziTasting wrote:

Yeh that's right Chocko.Ezi you will make me use pic and paint x_x .cheers hillzabilly :laughing-rolling:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hillzabilly on Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby bluc » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:58 pm

You reakon that valve is needed hillz I always thought a submersible would be self regulating :think:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:19 pm

I use a 2000wt pond pump,and have found most pumps will not last long when running flat out with very little flow at full load.The amount of cooling water varies with different types of runs and I have multiple size stills and boilers wich too need different amounts,I also think the circulation helps get rid of some of the heat from stillin.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

Postby Lowie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:55 pm

Out of interest, I use these Bunno's hoses but I've also unconventionally plumbed my rig up too. Water comes into the PC at the bottom, out the top into my RC via needle vale (ballvalve closed) and back out to waste (which is generally my swimming pool!). If you look closely at the ball valve set up you can see that when the valve is closed the RC gets full flow through to waste. When I'm finishing my run I close off the needle vale to the RC (it's on the opposite side of the picture), open the ball valve and I now have the RC bypassed (it's now full of water and can't go anywhere but out) with the PC still getting full flow. Works well for me and means two less hoses getting in the way. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby EziTasting » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:10 pm

Thx Hills, kind has been in-befuddled! :happy-partydance:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby timboss » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:09 pm

Great discussion Gents

I fired up the still for the first time in a few years and had the exact same thoughts about the braided lines. My goal is to use a pump that's a little less power hungry than the Ozito.

I have a bunch of PEX left over from a previous project, and it's rated for hot water, so I was going to give that a crack, but I think Matt_Pl's irrigation hose might be the way to go, and probably the cheapest options... Just with a couple strategically placed connectors or some sort to make it easy to dismantle... Just won't look very nice.
Last edited by timboss on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timboss

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer

Postby Chocko6969 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:56 am

timboss wrote:Great discussion Gents

I fired up the still for the first time in a few years and had the exact same thoughts about the braided lines. My goal is to use a pump that's a little less power hungry than the Ozito.

I have a bunch of PEX left over from a previous project, and it's rated for hot water, so I was going to give that a crack, but I think Matt_Pl's irrigation hose might be the way to go, and probably the cheapest options... Just with a couple strategically placed connectors or some sort to make it easy to dismantle... Just won't look very nice.

Yes it's handy information here, I did get an Ozito 350W job, but not wanting to cut the IBC this wouldn't fit through the hole so I ended up getting one of these:
https://www.orangepumps.com.au/index.ph ... sp100.html
Great little pump and low power draw too, pushes plenty and I've also put a tee in like Hillz did to help with back pressure.

Chocko
Chocko6969

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills