Un-plated Pot Still

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Un-plated Pot Still

Postby Westshine » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:03 pm

I have a new 4" x 4 plate column with 100L boiler, I think I've ironed out the kinks enough now to produce a reasonable neutral. I'm stock piling it now until I get about 30L x 92% ABV, then will water down to 40% and put back in the boiler about. 70L in the boiler should be enough to keep the heating element covered by the time I finish.

I'm planning on doing a gin run, London dry style. Putting my botanicals into a cloth bag, soaking for 24hr. Taking the plates out of the still and not running the RC. Just use the column like a pot still and controlling by varying the power to one element (only need one element when its up to temp).

Are there any lessons learned doing this? Will the glass panes cause any problems? Do I need to remove the RC section or just not run water through it?

Thanks in advance.
Westshine

equipment: 4" x 4 plates, 4" Pot / Whiskey dome - 100ltr boiler

Re: Un-plated Pot Still

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:39 am

Have ya read thru http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6277 for some extra info.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Cheersbigears » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:09 pm

If you are worried about the elements, when I started. I fill the boiler with water only at least 50mm over the elements measuring as I go. Than pour in what ever, making sure the calculations were correct on the way up. So it was never over 35% too start and I still dont go over 35% but that's just me. My boiler is 90Lt and it's just over 30 Lts of alcohol to do a full run. I done it once and never again 90lts of 35% wash was about 14-15 hours as I was running it slow at 1.8-2lts an hour. I had it set up as a neutralizer but if you take the plates out i would take the tees out as well. Than you could run it cooler again so less power. No use heating the tees up if nothing is in there is the way I see it. I have never done a gin so....yeah think about the full charge at 40% just on the time.
Cheersbigears

equipment: Built up to a FSD 4" Eliminator and a homemade boiler

Postby Westshine » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:53 pm

Thanks Cheersbigears, I hadn't thought about the time factor will have to be an all day event. I don't have a replacement for the tees just yet so will have to leave them in. I could insulate the tees with a blanket to help on power consumption. I imagine all the additional surface area will ad to the passive reflux.

Another question for the bubbler guys, I have 2 elements one about 50mm the other about 200mm from the bottom of the boiler. When the bubbler is up to speed and I turn off one of the elements, which is preferred to keep on, the high or low element?
Westshine

Postby rumsponge » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:21 pm

I keep the lower one running and switch off the upper element. Because you dont want to run it dry ...
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby woodduck » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:45 pm

As long as you know your elements aren't going to run dry leave them both going for stripping. If your pot stilling a spirit run it will depend on how much power you need, that is of course if you have two different wattages, my guess would be about 2400w with a power controller.

Have you thought about reconfiguring your bubbler to a pot by using the empty packed section as the riser then the 4"-2" reducer then pc? No plates that way.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Westshine » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:48 pm

I wasn't sure if there was a thermal benefit from using lower or higher element. By my calcs I should be ok using either element with 70ltr @ 40% my average takeoff from experience on other stills is ~70ish% ABV. So should leave enough over either element.

This will be a spirit run, I've been stockpiling TPW and FFV's through the bubbler plates and making cuts. I usually discard the first couple of cups that come off and make a tails cut around 40 - 35% ABV, then run tails down to 20%.

I'm running 2 x 3000w elements with a control box, plenty of power. I like the no plates idea and am toying with the idea of buying a whiskey dome and 4" straight section just for pot runs.
Westshine

Postby RC Al » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:14 pm

Elements don't heat very far below them, the heat travels up very quickly. I have read of someone being able to touch the bottom of the boiler with a high placed element
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Return to Plated Column Stills