Cleaning of plates

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Cleaning of plates

Postby Rock » Wed May 01, 2019 7:59 pm

Just wondering who strip and wash plates , (std 5 star bubble caps ), between change of spirit, ie rum to UJSSM.
I've got 3 gens stripped and ready to do some spirit runs.
But I'm more focused on rum, trying to get the stuff to 12 mths is hard.
I've got the packed section for neutral and know I ve hot to clean the mesh.
Any views be appreciated
Rock

equipment: Turbo 500
FSD 4" x 5 plate bubble neutrilizer 600mm
Packed section.
50lt keg 2 x 2400 elements

Re: Cleaning of plates

Postby Lowie » Wed May 01, 2019 8:14 pm

I'm wondering why you strip when you've got a bubbler? It's counter productive.
No need to 'clean' the plates between runs. a good flush out with tap water after your run is enough.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby woodduck » Wed May 01, 2019 8:28 pm

I'm with Lowie, no need to strip with a bubbler that's what makes them so good. Seems to be a bit of a trend at the moment?

I just rince between runs too. If your plates get real black I would give them a citric acid bath then a wash and they'll be good to go again.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Rock » Wed May 01, 2019 9:08 pm

Thanks for your views on the plates, I've been running a UJSSM generation alongside my rum ferments, and wasn't to sure about changing flavor .
I don't mind breaking down the still to basic pot mode for stripping, i weigh up time taking cuts and then select for blending, v strip and store them do a 6 hr run with 3 strips.
But saying this i done last 2 as 80% wash and some 20% of feints and was done in 4 hrs.
Tasting off the still is improving, this also will improve / slash time from above senario.
Looks like I'm into the ujssm tomorrow as a wash , probably 25 lt and 10 ltr of stripped low wines. X 2 runs. Should be a happy shinner.
Any view's on oak type, was going to go with a American oak with light char.
Rock

equipment: Turbo 500
FSD 4" x 5 plate bubble neutrilizer 600mm
Packed section.
50lt keg 2 x 2400 elements

Return to Plated Column Stills