Packed section diameter

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Packed section diameter

Postby Fatguts » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:41 pm

I recently purchased a 4 inch, 4 plate glasser and 4 inch RC. What I dont have yet is a 4 inch packed section. I do have a 1.2 meter long, 2 inch packed section filled from top to bottom with copper mesh. Could I temporarily use the 2 inch packed section on the 4 inch glasser with any success or would I just be wasting my time. Im only playing around with a sugar wash just to get the hang of things. Cheers.
Fatguts

equipment: 4", 4 plate glasser and a 2" all copper reflux still with a 2 meter packed column, 500 mm shotgun condenser and homemade parrot, all sitting on a 50 litre upside down beer keg boiler with 2 X 2400W elements.

Re: Packed section diameter

Postby RC Al » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:04 pm

Yes it will work fine, the actual power handling of a 4" packed section far exceeds a 4" bubblers usual running power, the bubbler should be able to run the 2" easily, it might even be better overall than one half the legnth in 4"

Most ppl have dramas with height so the "short fat" packed section is the best option as it dosent require size changes and works better for a given height

Only drama would be refluxing at the top, unless you have an extra 4x2 reducer handy to put the rc at the top
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Fatguts » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:28 pm

Thanks for the info.
I have a few 4x2 reducers and will be putting the packed section between the glasser and the RC. I know what ill be doing for most of tomorrow...100 litres of stripped ujsm ready and waiting. Thanks again.
Fatguts

equipment: 4", 4 plate glasser and a 2" all copper reflux still with a 2 meter packed column, 500 mm shotgun condenser and homemade parrot, all sitting on a 50 litre upside down beer keg boiler with 2 X 2400W elements.

Postby db1979 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:04 am

I think you'll have issues with vapour speed. Pushing the same amount of vapour through 2" instead of 4" will probably result in flooding. My 2" bubbler runs about 4 times slower than my 4" bubbler (cross sectional area of 4" is 4 times a greater than 2").
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby woodduck » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:25 pm

I've never done it so don't know for sure but I would also reckon you would have flooding issues. It takes a certain amount of power to keep those plates loaded so you can't back off too much.

Only one way to know for sure I guess...

Good luck and report back how it goes.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:15 pm

It all depends on what you are using for the heat source, for years I just used a 3 ring burner and found all of my plates on my 4" bubbler wouldn't load fully. It was even worse when I put on my 500ml packed section for making neutral.

I decided to make my own BD747 burner out of 3/4" copper and man what a difference it made to doing a run, all the plates loaded fully even when doing neutral with the packed section. As far as heatup times on heatup I run the BD747 on around 40psi then for the run drop it to 10psi then tinker with the psi setting to get the plates loaded.

Making that BD747 out of copper and the unit is only 6" long is the best thing since sliced bread as the power source for my still and the best part the roar of it working drowns out the noise of the 12 volt pump running the cooling water :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Now if you are using elements then I can't give any advice as I've never used em.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Fatguts » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:30 pm

I finally got around to trying the 2" column today...better late than never. It was a nice day here in Adelaide so I decided to use everything I had and do it outside. I needed a step ladder to get to the top. I ran the still on one 2200 element and power controller at 100% (didn't really need the controller) Rather than use my 4" RC I went with a little 2" one that I had made for a T500 mod, and that was the only drawback. I needed a bit more heat to get the plates to load better but the RC was struggling, especially when trying to hold it in full reflux. In the end it worked out ok and I had no flooding issues. I think even with the 4" RC it still would not have flooded. I was just messing around and have never run the still in this configuration but I've now got 7 litres of 94%, in 300ml cuts to play with tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fatguts

Return to Plated Column Stills