4" bubbler - Should I or Shouldn't I

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

4" bubbler - Should I or Shouldn't I

Postby vovo » Sat May 30, 2020 2:19 pm

Well after being away for a few years I moved back to Aus and well what do you know 5 Star has taken the trouble to move to Brisbane after being Jealous of our Western Neighbours previously.

1st off, I really enjoy making stuff, so if it is possible without being too much of a PITA then I'd prefer to build but I'll be honest, I have peeked at the SSG.

Anyways:

1. How do you mount the bubble plates in the column? Are these just placed onto a shelf or are they soldered in place or tolerance fit?
2. Are Easy flanges easy enough or are stainless ferrules a better solution? Do the ferrules create a shelf/restriction which inhibits putting in or taking out of the bubble plate (depending on the answer to point 1)
3. Would a MAPP Pro torch be sufficient for silver soldering a 4" pipe onto a SS ferrule?
4. How are the sight glasses mounted? Does this need a ferrule with a triclamp? Could one use a different option by fitting glass within a flared 2" or 3" fitting e.g. that comes with a 100 x 80 reducing tee?

I am sure I have plenty more questions, but taking this first step will hopefully kick off the process.

Thanks
vovo

equipment: None yet - hence why I am here

Re: 4" bubbler - Should I or Shouldn't I

Postby RC Al » Sat May 30, 2020 3:14 pm

1. People with a lathe can machine a lip into the ferrule, otherwise its a squish in between the joins with a bored out gasket or as you said soldered in (not ideal due to proximity to the flange)
2. Plenty of successful easy flanges out there, personally I prefer the ss ones for long term hardiness and a good gasket seal. The pipe will need to be expanded to solder them in, otherwise a tig is the best option for a butt join - it also can be Brazed with oxy gear, you would want the welder to know well what their doing with either case.
3. Yes, Im going about 50/50 sucess rates with just propane - I doubt more heat wont help the issues im getting I believe though
4. What your saying with those sounds like a home built version of what 5 star sight glasses are? A screw on collar? not sure how you plan to attach to the flare otherwise?

Good luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby bluc » Sat May 30, 2020 4:10 pm

Full flame lpg torch on 9kg bbq bottle will get 4" cherry red for hard solder/silver braze. Easily do soft solder. Given the choice though would do it with oxy.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby vovo » Sat May 30, 2020 6:33 pm

Cheers, I think i'll stick to the SS ferrules for now, they'll add a bit of cost but will make it that much easier i think.

I couldn't find any but does 5 Star ever sell the screw in sight glass fittings?
vovo

Postby vovo » Sat May 30, 2020 6:36 pm

bluc wrote:Full flame lpg torch on 9kg bbq bottle will get 4" cherry red for hard solder/silver braze. Easily do soft solder. Given the choice though would do it with oxy.

Just curious as i have had the TS8000 on the wish list for a while and this would be a good justification for one, it is supposedly one of the better performing Mapp torches. Otherwise I'll look into Oxy which does have its own benefits other than this.
vovo

Postby Andrew » Sat May 30, 2020 7:13 pm

vovo wrote:does 5 Star ever sell the screw in sight glass fittings?

Sorry to say that we dont have them yet.
They are on the “to order” list
Last edited by Andrew on Sat May 30, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

equipment: Anything I choose From The 5 Star Range

Return to Plated Column Stills