Complete 4" Sight Glasses

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Complete 4" Sight Glasses

Postby Crusty » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:57 pm

If some idiot wanted to replace the 500mm packed section on a 4" Neutralizer with additional sight glasses, how many would be required or how many extra plates does the packed section equate to? I have 5 Tees but also have 4 sight glasses & the standard Neutralizer setup produced 95.6% ABV from a 40% stripped TPW. Just curious to know what percentage I'd lose with the 4 sight glasses & packed section as a comparison for a neutral, 95% ABV required. Would 6 or 7 sight glasses get me to 95% without the packed section.
Asking for a friend....... :violence-smack:
Crusty

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser
100lt Milk Can Boiler with 1 x 3600W & 1 x 2400w FSD elements
Head Brewer @The Wobbly Chook Brewing Company

Re: Complete 4" Sight Glasses

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:35 pm

G'Day Crusty,
Eh mate long time no see :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: and I did wonder where you got to mate :laughing-rolling:

Ok with my TPW I just do the first run over 4 plates and get 90+% and I call that the stripping run then after airing for a week and at 40% over 4 plates again then after airing there was just a hint of tomato taste so ran it over 4 plates again and got the best Nothing I've made to date. So that equates to 12 plates and triple distilled.

Now if you have all the gear to add more sections just go ahead and do it :laughing-rolling: and see if the tomato taste disappears from the first run, if not just run it again and with using extra plates that taste will be gone I reckon.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Re: Complete 4" Sight Glasses

Postby Crusty » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:48 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:G'Day Crusty,
Eh mate long time no see :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: and I did wonder where you got to mate :laughing-rolling:

Ok with my TPW I just do the first run over 4 plates and get 90+% and I call that the stripping run then after airing for a week and at 40% over 4 plates again then after airing there was just a hint of tomato taste so ran it over 4 plates again and got the best Nothing I've made to date. So that equates to 12 plates and triple distilled.

Now if you have all the gear to add more sections just go ahead and do it :laughing-rolling: and see if the tomato taste disappears from the first run, if not just run it again and with using extra plates that taste will be gone I reckon.

Cheers Bryan

Thanks Ruddy.
I plan on as usual reconfiguring the still to pot mode to strip the TPW. Then do the spirit run. I previously ran 5 plates with the packed section but considering running the sight glasses instead of the Tee's. If there's too much difference & flavour carry over, I'll just run the 5 plates plates with the packed section & use the sight glasses for single runs over 4 plates. No stripping run, just straight from the fermenter into the spirit run.
Crusty

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser
100lt Milk Can Boiler with 1 x 3600W & 1 x 2400w FSD elements
Head Brewer @The Wobbly Chook Brewing Company

Return to Plated Column Stills