How much fores/ heads

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

How much fores/ heads

Postby B-Man » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:38 am

I never really compressed my fores just took 330ml as fores and then the next 330ml as heads.
Lately I have been compressing my fores for 5-10 minutes and running them out 3 times slower and I don't even take a heads jar now.

The only downside is my feints are quite low as is only tails. So I was wondering how much fores do most people take out? Or should I just be adding my fores/ heads to the feints run and take a big fores cut from there?
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Re: How much fores/ heads

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:10 pm

B-Man,
All i do with my 4 plate bubbler is in heatup mode is to leave it in pot still mode until the fores come out then take about 200ml then put the still into reflux to compress the heads. Wait until all 4 plates are fully loaded then open it up to a fast drip to toothpick size flow and for the first litre I use 200ml cut jars.

After leaving for a day for the angels to take their share one can soon smell the heads in the first few cut jars :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Yonder » Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:17 pm

Interestin topic Ruddy. I run a pot & thumper exclusively. About 8 gallons per run. To get rid of the fores, I pitch the first 150 ml. The next 4-500 are heads and go directly into the feints jug cause its 80 abv or better, but still hot with acetal alcohols, I’ll run it thru the next batch. After that, it depends on cuts.. feel, flavor, smell, taste.
Yonder

equipment: 10 gal copper pot w/doubler and a lot of enthusiasm

Postby B-Man » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:20 am

Cheers ruddy. I'll try leaving it as pot still mode to push the fores out.
How many of the 200ml jars end up being heads?
You must run it out faster than I do if I can get fores and heads into 1 330ml bottle.
B-Man

Postby RC Al » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:47 am

I work my cut jars based on expected output and 20-25% ea of heads n tails with small jars through the transition areas. Always taste and feel as you go, even with guestimates doing a one and done on a wash with a bubbler has left me way out on jars and run time needed occasionally, especially with rum n ag stuff where the hydro is near useless.

All this talk of volume is pointless without mentioning charge size/abv and average hearts abv.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby B-Man » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:53 pm

RC Al wrote:I work my cut jars based on expected output and 20-25% ea of heads n tails with small jars through the transition areas. Always taste and feel as you go, even with guestimates doing a one and done on a wash with a bubbler has left me way out on jars and run time needed occasionally, especially with rum n ag stuff where the hydro is near useless.

All this talk of volume is pointless without mentioning charge size/abv and average hearts abv.

Yes im finding with my first frew runs angel yeast corn mash and rum I didn't know what I was going to get so I just took smaller cuts and now have a rough guess of when things are going to start happening.

I did have a ratio down pat when I didn't compress my fores but once I started compressing fores and heads it has thrown everything I was doing out the window.
my feints runs are also no where near as good but im guessing that's because im now taking alot more hearts in my spirit run cuts so the feints runs are alot more tails.

46L
11% abv
average hearts abv 92%
B-Man

Return to Plated Column Stills