Pre heating column?

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Pre heating column?

Postby Fishleg » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:23 pm

Has anyone ever tried pre heating their bubbler column to knock a bit of time off the run?
Takes a little while for all that stainless on a FSD bubbler to get to temp.
Maybe a little bit with a hair dryer or heat gun while you’re standing there watching like a hawk?
Fishleg

equipment: FSD neutraliser with 85 litre keg boiler

Re: Pre heating column?

Postby B-Man » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:42 pm

I have a copper still. I found by the time you hold the fores in full reflux for x amount the column has had time to heat up. And it's just another passive reflux while it's heating up.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby howard » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:20 am

Fishleg wrote:Has anyone ever tried pre heating their bubbler column to knock a bit of time off the run?
Takes a little while for all that stainless on a FSD bubbler to get to temp.
Maybe a little bit with a hair dryer or heat gun while you’re standing there watching like a hawk?

i can see where you're coming from.
as the hot temp creeps up the column, as it hits a colder piece of SS it will condense.
so i reckon you could preheat the column, but instead of standing there watching like a hawk, i usually have lots of stuff to be getting on with.
like cleaning out the fermenters i've just siphoned into the boiler and getting the collection jars organized etc etc.
i usually use the time it takes for the wash/column to get to running temp, about equal to the other shit i have to get ready. ;-)
ie i will strip 2 x 25l ferments and by the time they are finished, the fermenters are already in the fridge with the next 2 x batches (about 4.5 hours).

joking aside, what about running one of those heat belts inside the column insulation? :think:
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby Golly » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:28 am

I'd buy an extra heating element for your boiler, rather than standing their with a blowdryer. I expect you would save all of 2min heating just the column, vs the actual liquid.
Golly

equipment: None yet. Looking at buying the Kegland Reflux still to run ontop of the Brewzilla 65L

Return to Plated Column Stills