Bubble Cap Plated Still

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Bubble Cap Plated Still

Postby MacStill » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:05 pm

Are you using SS ferules ?

If you are you can get silicone "o" rings for them.

If you can get 6mm glass you wont need the outer ferule to hold it in place, just get them to bevel the edges a bit ;-)

100% Silicone would work fine & easy enough to get off with a razor & wire wheel in a drill :mrgreen:

Once you get your peepers on it would be a very rare occasion you'd break one, I havnt yet using 2mm plain glass
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:21 pm

Yeah ss ferrules,midways reckon they don't make a silicon o ring,might get in touch with geordi tomorrow.Spose I could fix em permanent,but I like the idea of taking em off so everything can air out after everything has been cleaned
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby R-sole » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:50 pm

I have silicon o rings designed specifically for this purpose.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby SBB » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:14 pm

5Star wrote:I have silicon o rings designed specifically for this purpose.

And they work very nicely ;-)
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Re: Bubble Cap Plate

Postby Master-Peter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:14 am

maheel wrote:in the design up load what is the tube coming in from the left just above the bubble plate and below the Delfag (is that the delfag?)
it has the angled lines coming out of it

This is a CIP (clean in place) system. I'm sorry to jump in that late. This design is quite common in Germany. Might be a Kothe or Hostein system.
In Germany the government is really anal with taxes. Thats why it is strictly prohibited for the (legal) still owner to open the column without customs supervision. Everything is customs-locked. :angry-banghead: The only way to keep these sytems clean without unlocking (under customs control) is to use these CIP systems - spraying cleaning agents and water into the column after a run.
So this is not needed for the hobbyist at all. Once you go legal under a anal tax system you might consider this.

Cheers
Peter
Master-Peter

equipment: Fitting beer to bottles with a Keg and VM currently.
200ltr boiler and plated still in planning stage.

Re: Bubble Cap Plate

Postby Master-Peter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:17 am

McStill wrote:Here's a pic of the design I'm following.

maheel wrote:in the design up load what is the tube coming in from the left just above the bubble plate and below the Delfag (is that the delfag?)
it has the angled lines coming out of it

This is a CIP (clean in place) system. I'm sorry to jump in that late. This design is quite common in Germany. Might be a Kothe or Hostein system.
In Germany the government is really anal with taxes. Thats why it is strictly prohibited for the (legal) still owner to open the column without customs supervision. Everything is customs-locked. :angry-banghead: The only way to keep these sytems clean without unlocking (under customs control) is to use these CIP systems - spraying cleaning agents and water into the column after a run.
So this is not needed for the hobbyist at all. Once you go legal under a anal tax system you might consider this.

By the way ... if one should wonder what the scrached field above the dephlag is for... this is a loose rolled copper sheet to enhance the vapor contact with copper. The switch in the middle is opened to let bypass the fores. This might really be something to consider if one has room above the dephlag.

Besides: the sketch is not at all to scale!!! It is meant to show the princilpes only. Some details are missing ...

Cheers
Peter
Master-Peter

equipment: Fitting beer to bottles with a Keg and VM currently.
200ltr boiler and plated still in planning stage.

Postby JagCrusher » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:11 am

Hi Mr McStill,
Just a quick question please... what's that thingiemajig after the product condenser and before the parrot? Looks like an expansion chamber... intrigued :think:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JagCrusher

equipment: Lots of empty vodka bottles waiting to be filled!

Postby MacStill » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:17 am

That there is a vent, it's to allow even flow through a parrot so your alcometer doesnt dance, there are a lot of easier ways to get around this but this one is the nicest bling bling air vent I've seen on a bubbler :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby JagCrusher » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:41 am

Ahhh, right! :idea: :D

...but this one is the nicest bling bling air vent I've seen on a bubbler

...and I quite agree! Cheers Mc. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JagCrusher

equipment: Lots of empty vodka bottles waiting to be filled!

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills