The elusive Plated all-rounder

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: The elusive Plated all-rounder

Postby bt1 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:07 pm

Outstanding news!

WD guys for the efforts, results and sharing.

The ablitity to addin a packed low cost section is a welcomed move forward. Wondering if the same concept could be applied to most any design i guess.

From the old Geology days i can't recall any chemical downside either.

cheers
another optional section to add
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby emptyglass » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Just scored a meter of 4" tube.

might even try it out as the next experiment....
emptyglass

Postby crow » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:31 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:40 am

Have you guys done any further testing, have you tried a comparison in the packed section with scrubbers ?

Kimbo did a run with a packed section of scrubbers and got a great neutral.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:51 am

No EG did an experiment 2 weeks back and I have be waiting for him to post his results here :-w
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Have you tried packing the narrow parts of the column on your 4' rum maker mac? I want to try it when I get mine going.
googe

Postby MacStill » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:15 pm

googe wrote:Have you tried packing the narrow parts of the column on your 4' rum maker mac? I want to try it when I get mine going.

Nup, I'll be looking forward to hearing your results :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby bt1 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:24 pm

my first two runs on the plater I used the EG/Crow rock packed section. Bloody nice drop, did a couple of subjective hearts tasters which where really sooth. I've never been able to do this b4....I think Kimbo called it..."distillers privilege"

I don't have a comparo drop as yet. Expect next weekend.

bt1
bt1

Postby emptyglass » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:47 pm

croweater wrote:No EG did an experiment 2 weeks back and I have be waiting for him to post his results here :-w

The first experiment, as you know crow, was 5 plates with 600mm packing, the next one I did was 3 plates with 1m packing. As far as neutral went, not much difference, if any, between the two.

The second one was made with a 3 plate section for flavored drink production. It was very fast running only 3 plates. The product it made was cleaner than traditional pot still product and a bit more "earthy" than 5 plate bubbler product. Its real bonus was heads/tails compression, and constant ABV output, unlike a pot still.

But no mac, I didn't get to trying it out packed with scrubbers. Its not mine anymore. Maybe Obi-Wan might want to try it out for comparison.
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:58 pm

WineGlass wrote:
But no mac, I didn't get to trying it out packed with scrubbers. Its not mine anymore. Maybe Obi-Wan might want to try it out for comparison.

OK cool, sold another one, you're doing well :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I hope mr kenobi can give us some results to compare, I'll be running one on monday with scrubbers in a 500mm section :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby emptyglass » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:39 pm

I can't see why scrubbers wouldn't do as good a job, if not better.
I only tried the stones as they are cheap, and I'm tight.
emptyglass

Postby googe » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:31 pm

Anyone thought of using coffee rock?.
googe

Postby crow » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Coffee rock : thats that hard as shit down the beach hey , hmm its not too porous can't see that it would work any better than marbles or shattered glass
crow

Postby googe » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:52 pm

Thats it crow, its not hard though, I thought it was quite porous from memory. :think: anyway, back to it, just had a thought before and had to share.
googe

Postby emptyglass » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:16 pm

When crow rocked up with the stone and a story worthy of mention in the "crow cronicles" (involing cars, running late, ex trouble and a heap of other stuff) he wasnt happy with what he was able to get, but I don't think it could have worked out better.
The large and fine rock worked well. But I feel it shoud be very porous. The porous-er the better

See what I did there with that...um...porous-er thing....oh,never mind.
emptyglass

Postby crow » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:25 pm

yeah heres the thing : Putting large stones at the bottom and small at the top was i believe an error next time I try this I'll use those 2 grades drainage 30mm and driveway 10mm but I'll go to the garden centre as they have 20mm stuff mix the lot in a cement mixer and fill . This should take up most of the void we had and I now know choking won't be an issue with this product there is no reason to have any void , it will just cause it to be less efficient ;-)
crow

Postby emptyglass » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:34 pm

No need to flog the horse, its already dead.

The idea works.

Didn't you like the vodka? Or didn't you like it happening so quick?

I like to do things as good as I can, but I think your splitting hairs mate. Its probably worth trying and see if different stone size makes a difference, but I think that was some of, if not the best neutral made in my shed.

I did try it with less plates and more stones, and from the single run I did like this, I cant tell the difference.
Plates and packing seem like a winner for neutral.
And the 3 plate set up worked well for flavored drinks. Best of both worlds
emptyglass

Postby crow » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:45 pm

yes and yes but we got slightly above azeotrope I'd just like to see how far above (pure) we can get without a vacuum, Ive read of some jokers getting near as 97% and mash rookie is getting 96.5 same as us , so I'm wondering if this is the ceiling for this cause its for shits and giggles as the ethanol will absorb moister from the air until it eventually gets back to azeo ;-)
crow

Postby googe » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:43 pm

Would this be an option for my little bubbler?, so I don't have to add more plates for Nuet. . Can the section be put above the rc?. Thanks for any help.
googe

Postby bt1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:56 pm

Before the RC would be my choice...then it's all done and your only passing "finished" through RC.

There is a subjective gain with filtering imho but unsure how to apportion results between rock section and running the plater better.
bt1
bt1

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills