Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:22 pm

Pretty simple mate, you're taking off product too fast...... slow it down and watch the alcometer remain stable for a loooooooong time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Site Founder
 
Posts: 16835
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Wide Bay QLD
equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby Crusty » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:47 pm

MacStill wrote:Pretty simple mate, you're taking off product too fast...... slow it down and watch the alcometer remain stable for a loooooooong time :handgestures-thumbupleft:


Well that makes perfect sense. I had a fairly thin stream so I thought but it looks like it was way too fast & not thin enough. The TPW was just a cleaning run so practice makes perfect I guess.
Thanks Mac, much appreciated.
Crusty
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Northern NSW.
equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser
100l Litre Milk Can Boiler with 2 x 2400w FSD elements
Head Brewer @The Wobbly Chook Brewing Co

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby Crusty » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:02 pm

My second actual product run this afternoon. This time a single pass over 4 plates of Macs Rum. Im not sure what my wash percentage was into the boiler but scaled the recipe to 40lts. 4.8kg raw sugar, 4.8kg molasses. After collecting 240mls fores, I began collection in 300ml jars. ABV held pretty steady at 93-94% for a few jars & slowly dropped throughout the run. Tails started arriving at jar 8 & once 1/3 of jar 12 was collected, abv was now at 88%. Removed collection jar, closed down the RC & stripped till I hit 20%. Those tails at 30% & under are horrible & pretty cloudy. Saved them for a future feints run & will add my heads & tails to them tomorrow after deciding on my hearts cut. I wont know my final abv until tomorrow nor my cut volume but Ive collected 11 & 1/3 300ml jars from my initial 40lts. Volume collection sound about average?
Crusty
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Northern NSW.
equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser
100l Litre Milk Can Boiler with 2 x 2400w FSD elements
Head Brewer @The Wobbly Chook Brewing Co

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby Crusty » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:23 am

4.8lts molasses not kg.
Crusty
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Northern NSW.
equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser
100l Litre Milk Can Boiler with 2 x 2400w FSD elements
Head Brewer @The Wobbly Chook Brewing Co

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:36 am

Looks like you get roughly the same yeild as me :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum
Site Donor
 
Posts: 2618
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:20 pm
Location: CQ
equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby Crusty » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:00 am

rumdidlydum wrote:Looks like you get roughly the same yeild as me :handgestures-thumbupleft:


Awsome.
Looks like Im in the right track.
Ill taste & sniff my way through the jars tonight & decide whats in & whats out.
Whats the standard amount of hearts that you keep rummi?
Im hoping the first 2 jars (600ml) are heads, the next 7 are hearts & the last 2 1/3 jars (700ml) are tails. That will give me around 2.1lts of hearts. Does this sound similar to you or maybe Im pushing my luck with jar 9 so may have to leave that one out. Would that be a ball park assumption?
Crusty
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Northern NSW.
equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser
100l Litre Milk Can Boiler with 2 x 2400w FSD elements
Head Brewer @The Wobbly Chook Brewing Co

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:16 am

Crusty wrote:
rumdidlydum wrote:Looks like you get roughly the same yeild as me :handgestures-thumbupleft:


Awsome.
Looks like Im in the right track.
Ill taste & sniff my way through the jars tonight & decide whats in & whats out.
Whats the standard amount of hearts that you keep rummi?
Im hoping the first 2 jars (600ml) are heads, the next 7 are hearts & the last 2 1/3 jars (700ml) are tails. That will give me around 2.1lts of hearts. Does this sound similar to you or maybe Im pushing my luck with jar 9 so may have to leave that one out. Would that be a ball park assumption?

Last time I ended up with about 2ltrs.
One thing i have also been trying is when the %drops to about 90, put it back into full reflux for 15 to 20 min. Mind you i am running the rumthump :music-deathmetal:
rumdidlydum
Site Donor
 
Posts: 2618
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:20 pm
Location: CQ
equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby Crusty » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:18 pm

I am only a newb at making cuts & my yield may be a bit low. Ive decided that jars 3 4 5 & 6 are hearts only so 1.2lt there.
Jar 2 has heads but is quite nice. Jar 7 tails are slightly showing but only just. Jars 8 9 10 11 get worse obviously. Do you think that half of jar 2 & 7 would be ok to add in. This will still only get me 1.5lts total.
Crusty
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Northern NSW.
equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser
100l Litre Milk Can Boiler with 2 x 2400w FSD elements
Head Brewer @The Wobbly Chook Brewing Co

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:21 pm

Up to you mate, are you long term aging or short term?
Include them see what it turns out like and you know your self how far you can push the cuts.
rumdidlydum
Site Donor
 
Posts: 2618
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:20 pm
Location: CQ
equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby Crusty » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:31 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:Up to you mate, are you long term aging or short term?
Include them see what it turns out like and you know your self how far you can push the cuts.


Short term hopefully. I would of course like at least one bottle to make 12 months on oak. I was looking at oaking at 10g/lt. If I'm going to push my cuts it wont be tails. They're nasty shit thats for sure & I think I'll avoid any trace of them. Jar 2 is quite ok so I might add 150mls of that one. My yield seems really low & not sure how this compares to you guys doing a single pass over 4 plates with a 40lt boil charge. I dont mind the small cut & am looking for quality as opposed to quantity.
Crusty
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Northern NSW.
equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser
100l Litre Milk Can Boiler with 2 x 2400w FSD elements
Head Brewer @The Wobbly Chook Brewing Co

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby WTDist » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:34 pm

I would prefer a jar of tails before heads. oak smooths out tails over time, im drinking 3month old cf/wb wash and i had tails in it, doesnt taste tailsy to me but maybe i could let a little more of my heads jar i added in air more, in other words if you add heads, let that jar evaporate as well. flavour will stay but nasty shit will mostly go
WTDist
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:32 am
Location: Brisbane
equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:30 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:
Crusty wrote:
rumdidlydum wrote:Looks like you get roughly the same yeild as me :handgestures-thumbupleft:


Awsome.
Looks like Im in the right track.
Ill taste & sniff my way through the jars tonight & decide whats in & whats out.
Whats the standard amount of hearts that you keep rummi?
Im hoping the first 2 jars (600ml) are heads, the next 7 are hearts & the last 2 1/3 jars (700ml) are tails. That will give me around 2.1lts of hearts. Does this sound similar to you or maybe Im pushing my luck with jar 9 so may have to leave that one out. Would that be a ball park assumption?

Last time I ended up with about 2ltrs.
One thing i have also been trying is when the %drops to about 90, put it back into full reflux for 15 to 20 min. Mind you i am running the rumthump :music-deathmetal:


I should have made myself clear 2ltrs at 65% for oaking. 8-}
rumdidlydum
Site Donor
 
Posts: 2618
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:20 pm
Location: CQ
equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby Crusty » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:19 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:
rumdidlydum wrote:
Crusty wrote:
rumdidlydum wrote:Looks like you get roughly the same yeild as me :handgestures-thumbupleft:


Awsome.
Looks like Im in the right track.
Ill taste & sniff my way through the jars tonight & decide whats in & whats out.
Whats the standard amount of hearts that you keep rummi?
Im hoping the first 2 jars (600ml) are heads, the next 7 are hearts & the last 2 1/3 jars (700ml) are tails. That will give me around 2.1lts of hearts. Does this sound similar to you or maybe Im pushing my luck with jar 9 so may have to leave that one out. Would that be a ball park assumption?

Last time I ended up with about 2ltrs.
One thing i have also been trying is when the %drops to about 90, put it back into full reflux for 15 to 20 min. Mind you i am running the rumthump :music-deathmetal:


I should have made myself clear 2ltrs at 65% for oaking. 8-}


I'm bang on those numbers. I ended up with 2.1lts @65%. Ive got it on 21gms of toasted American oak in an erlenmeyer flask.
After determining my absolute hearts, I worked my way back & forth trying to pick up on the heads & tails & where they really kicked in. Jar 2 for me had desirable flavour but a bite to it so predominately heads. I took 100mls from that 300ml jar for my blend. Jar 7 to me was mostly hearts but the slightest hint of tails & I mean slight. I might of got away with adding all this jar but opted for a 200ml steal from that 300ml jar. Im really happy with this cut & I spent quite some time deciding
what & how much to add if anything to my absolute hearts. Time will tell but Im pretty happy with whats in the flask.
Absolute hearts yielded 1.2lts & Im confident the 300ml addition either side of those hearts will make this a fantastic Rum.
Ive got another 40lt in the fermenter chugging away in preperation for my next run.
Crusty
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Northern NSW.
equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser
100l Litre Milk Can Boiler with 2 x 2400w FSD elements
Head Brewer @The Wobbly Chook Brewing Co

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby bayshine » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:46 pm

Sounds like you're onto it crusty :handgestures-thumbupleft:
If I could suggest...try stripping a whole wash and adding it to the next one and do a spirit run and watch your hearts grow ;-)
Much easier to pic the cuts...
bayshine
 
Posts: 869
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Turquoise coast dubbya aye
equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby Crusty » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:20 pm

bayshine wrote:Sounds like you're onto it crusty :handgestures-thumbupleft:
If I could suggest...try stripping a whole wash and adding it to the next one and do a spirit run and watch your hearts grow ;-)
Much easier to pic the cuts...


I'll definitely try that at some stage. I was just too eager to get this one done.
I just headed out into the garage & grabbed a couple of mls & diluted it to drinking strength to confirm what Ive got & fark me, this is going to be awesome.
Crusty
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Northern NSW.
equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser
100l Litre Milk Can Boiler with 2 x 2400w FSD elements
Head Brewer @The Wobbly Chook Brewing Co

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby jacobraven » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:20 am

Just curious when you stirp with you FSD gear do you go pot or 4 plate it as fast as possible while keeping plates loaded.
jacobraven
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 6:05 pm
Location: NENSW
equipment: 100 Litre Milk Can
Neutralizer
2 2400w

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby EziTasting » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:31 am

jacobraven wrote:Just curious when you stirp with you FSD gear do you go pot or 4 plate it as fast as possible while keeping plates loaded.



Hah just learned this - retuned pot still!
EziTasting
 
Posts: 2062
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:15 pm
Location: FNWA
equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby bayshine » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:17 pm

jacobraven wrote:Just curious when you stirp with you FSD gear do you go pot or 4 plate it as fast as possible while keeping plates loaded.

Either through the plates with rc of or strip down to a pot still,which is the fastest :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine
 
Posts: 869
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Turquoise coast dubbya aye
equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby jacobraven » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:24 pm

Wonder if you could find a middle point running it on a full 4800w on 100l can juggling plates to see what does it best with rc fully open lie 1,2,3,4 plates which ever keeps em loaded and runnign fast
jacobraven
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 6:05 pm
Location: NENSW
equipment: 100 Litre Milk Can
Neutralizer
2 2400w

Re: Running a Plated Column. the easy way

Postby WalterWhite » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:15 pm

Another option for increasing your hearts cut is to just save your tails separately and add this to your next wash.
It increases both ABV and flavour in the wash. I ended up with about 3.6litres of 65% by doing that and it only added about 45mins to my total distilling time.
WalterWhite
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:34 pm
Location: South Australia - on the Fleurieu
equipment: Brian the bubbler aka 4" FSD Neutralizer. 50L keg with 2 x 2200w elements.

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

x