The new hybrid. Vodka, Gin, Whisky, Rum and Brandy, fast.

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

The new hybrid. Vodka, Gin, Whisky, Rum and Brandy, fast.

Postby emptyglass » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:47 pm

I've been doing some more experiments with vodka production. After the last lot of experiments with packed sections, (see viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2308) I did a few things different with this one.

Pleased to say this little puppy is working great. It has so far made a spot on neutral at 2.5 litres an hour pulling an easy 95%abv, then set up as a whiskey still it makes a very flavorful 65-70%abv rum or bourbon (or brandy) for the whole run at a comfortable 3.5 litres an hour.

As for combinations, it can be put together heaps of ways. It can be run as a 3 plate whiskey still, a 3 plate and packed section vodka still, a long packed section by itself, a 5 plate bubbler, a 5 plate with short packed section (again for vodka/gin), a short plain packed section. Did I miss any? Oh, and an 8 plate bubbler.
Basicly, it has been made so that both sections can take plates or packing, hence the sightglasses on both sections. The sightglasses give a good veiw of the packing in action, even if its really not needed. They clip on and off as desired on the day. Its all 15% silver soldered, even if its not needed.

I'm pretty happy with this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emptyglass

Re: The new hybrid. Vodka, Gin, Whisky, Rum and Brandy, fast

Postby emptyglass » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:53 pm

Some more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emptyglass

Postby Kimbo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:19 pm

Well done EG, :clap: :clap: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :music-deathmetal: ( your gunna need a bigger ladder)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Sam. » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:21 pm

That is excellent mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MacStill » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:17 pm

Beautiful rig mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Is this one a keeper or are you going to let some lucky bugger claim ownership?

Well done!
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby emptyglass » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks guys.

I'm thinking it might be for sale mac, but I havn't even thought about the work gone into it yet. This one got a bit of extra polishing and love. Its really a still for a whiskey maker that appreciates a good vodka, or a serious vodka maker who enjoys a fine whiskey. Or someone thats outgrown their slant plate.
I reckon just from the testing I've done, I got enough vodka to last a long time.

If I did sell it, I'd make another one of the 3 platers to keep. They are a ripper. Good flavor, barrel strength for bourbon out the spout, and pretty bloody fast.
emptyglass

Postby emptyglass » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:20 pm

Kimbo wrote:Well done EG, :clap: :clap: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :music-deathmetal: ( your gunna need a bigger ladder)

Yeah, you're probably right Kimbo, but that little one gets me far enough away from the ground to do some serious damage to the old noggin when I fall off. Its not much of a head, but its the only one I got.
Sampling and ladders don't mix, that much I've found.
emptyglass

Postby googe » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:16 pm

Very nice empty :handgestures-thumbupleft: someone will be vert happy of you do decide to sell.
googe

Postby tickle » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:10 am

WineGlass wrote:
Kimbo wrote:Well done EG, :clap: :clap: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :music-deathmetal: ( your gunna need a bigger ladder)

Yeah, you're probably right Kimbo, but that little one gets me far enough away from the ground to do some serious damage to the old noggin when I fall off. Its not much of a head, but its the only one I got.
Sampling and ladders don't mix, that much I've found.

what?! i thought you walked on water and levitated :scared-eek:
another hero down.... :text-lol:
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Postby bt1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:44 am

Very nice kit EG,

The varying configs have me very interested.

bugga, just as I thought I'd finished my new still this comes along.

Back to the shed for another few weeks I guess.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby emptyglass » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:16 pm

Dont worry mate, it happens to all of us.
Just when you think you got there, the journey continues.
I still discover new things that send me back to the shed. But with two littlies in the house, I don't need much of an excuse.
emptyglass

Postby emptyglass » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:22 pm

tickle wrote:what?! i thought you walked on water and levitated :scared-eek:
another hero down.... :text-lol:

The guy that walked on water could only achieve water to wine. We take wines and turn them into whiskey and rum.
I think that levitates us all.

Just don't use a ladder when sampling. sacry! :scared-eek:
emptyglass

Postby JayD » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:57 am

Great build EG...but really I think everyone on this board would not expect less from you... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby emptyglass » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks J,
I guess its probably no surprise to say I'll be selling it. I tried to come up with a still good enough for the vodka guys, and I'm pretty happy to say it does a good job, and makes whiskey too.
And thanks to croweater for his input on these packed columns. He's a smart fella.
emptyglass

Postby audistiller » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:42 pm

WineGlass wrote:He's a smart fella.

Or as my old man would say, a fart smella.

Very nice work there EG, anyone would be proud of that workmanship I would think. Now only if I had a shed, the best I could do at the moment is a parrot on the back step when the wind isn't blowing... :crying-blue:
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby emptyglass » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:55 pm

audistiller wrote:Or as my old man would say, a fart smella.

I could say he smells like a fart, but that would be just plain wrong.
emptyglass

Postby 1 2many » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:20 pm

Mate looking around this is my faverite rig on the web :music-deathmetal: Have you tried the same still
with a 4-2 reducer straight to a standard keg and done a comparison on yield/performance. Would like some estimates or results! Are you still using the volcanic rock packing "scoria" :wave:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby emptyglass » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:11 pm

Thanks 1 2.
I don't usually use a packed section for my rum and bourbon, but I wouldn't hesitate to clip on a section for a neutral run, but I'm a bit of a scoria convert.
Just don't use any rock mac's got for sale, a little bird told me its got a smashed up plastic container in it... :shhh:
I don't drink vodka often, but this set up is a real good rig.
If you were to go down this road, I'd say go 4 or 5 plates, and a shorter packed section, just for more stable running for flavored drinks.
The only reason the packed section has windows is it is a 5 plate column section, borrowed for a trial, you don't need them. I did get to see just how the rocks perform, and see all the very fine surface bubbles permiating through the scoria.
emptyglass

Postby 1 2many » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:36 pm

Yes but what about the question 2"to4" flow rate .Surly that must have an effect on production rate :think:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Brendan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:29 pm

1 2, although I can't answer for EG, what you asked has been done and many times over.

Reports are that there is no reduction in performance...this is in line with theory, which says that vapour speed increases through a smaller opening, so the 'flow' of vapour is the same.

Hope that helps :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills