VM head on tray column

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

VM head on tray column

Postby jim » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:55 am

I am growing more and more interested in a bubblecap or perf plate system, especially seeing how many stripping runs I have to do to get enough low wines for a spirit run.

From what I can see a tray column is a way of stepping up the alcohol content without losing flavor in the way that a packed does. That seems to be the only difference. However I have yet to see a LM or VM head on a tray column, they all use the CM method. Why is this? Both LM and VM should be able to produce enough reflux to run a tray column.

I have a 3" column, which i run packed with a VM head for neutral and unpacked with a pot still head for rum. If I dropped in a 3 plate tree, and ran it with the VM head, would this work well to get barrel strength, high flavor distillate in one go?
jim

equipment: Modular 3" diameter VM/LM/pot still.

Re: VM head on tray column

Postby MacStill » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:29 pm

You mean like this?

P2261965.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby googe » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:53 am

Verticle vm, knew it would work!!.
googe

Postby crow » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:58 am

Fucking hell Mac is there any combo ya haven't tried :roll: maybe a worm and flake as a reflux condenser or something new someone can pioneer
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

VM head on tray column

Postby Sam. » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:45 am

googe wrote:Verticle vm, knew it would work!!.

The off take is still coming off horizontal it's irrelevant that that the valve is down the line.

As long as your not trying to make the vapor go uphill it will work
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby googe » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks Sam, that's all I wanted to know in my other thread :handgestures-thumbupleft: . Sorry for the thread high jack mate....continue.
googe

Postby MacStill » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:08 am

googe wrote:Verticle vm, knew it would work!!.

With the valve like that it collects distillate, it can have it's advantages as a heads dump, close again, heads dump type of operation....

However, I have moved the valve to the horizontal position to allow "standard practice" type of use.

It's more user friendly like this :handgestures-thumbupleft:

P7072078.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Plated Column Stills