new build still drilling

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: new build still drilling

Postby Kimbo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:20 pm

Thats great news Tick, what ABV were you gettin mate? :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby ticknaylor » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:56 pm

Not sure mate when I was setting up I grabbed my alcoholometer out of its case and it was smashed inside the container fucking hopeless second one in two months :angry-banghead: so I just collected in jars gunna post test it tomoz if I can get off work early enough to get to the HBS. Bloody eager to know myself :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ticknaylor

Postby MacStill » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:02 pm

If you've done everything right you should end up with your hearts being around 93 to 94 % :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby ticknaylor » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:06 pm

93% @ 26 degrees so probably coming out at 92% but the alcoholmeter is made in china and my old german one was better I had to of these Chinese ones and they read the same alcohol different to the german one. Íts those 4TK ones. The missus bought me a mini oak barrel for my b day today. Probably only good for flavouring a couple of whiskeys before it loses its char but hey its going straight to the pool room anyway :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ticknaylor

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:09 am

Well done Nick

Nice Little Barrel too !

So now its up and running and obviously putting out the goods,are you going to be "still drilling " those big holes or the sight glasses or not worrying about them ?
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby ticknaylor » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:34 pm

Hey yummy yeah i got the sight glasses just gotta solder them on when i get some time. Think i may have a leak somewhere though ran a mirror over it but from a 25l tpw only got 13 200ml jars that includes fores heads hearts and tails. Then from a uj wash i only got 10 200ml last night abv was good for 4 ish jars then hovered at 80 then finally the fast drop of u get from a bubbler anyone got any ideas a leak is just a guess gunna run some venegar tonight and check again for leaks
ticknaylor

Postby ticknaylor » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:31 pm

Hopefully put my sight glasses on this weekend with the long weekend in W.A. fuck yeah labour day so I finally had a chance to run this thing again and my output was surging a bit followed macs running instructions be stumped what Im doing wrong. Probably coz im a stupid fuck hahaha so heated up fast slowed it down stabilised for 20 mins slowed reflux condenser water flow. flow the size of a toothpick. ABV drop slowly not quickly like the end of the run. I guess like a pot still although I never owned one. Wondering what you guys get ABV and amount collected from 25l UJ
ticknaylor

Postby ticknaylor » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:28 am

Well i'll call it complete now left room for a sixth plate and probably add rock filtering later purely for neutrals. Didnt have enough pipe so i'll just do that later. Been a long journey but It was definitely worth it its not easy feat trying to fit building one of these around your everyday lives it becomes an obsession. Firstly i'd like to thank mac for his wise words and top quality gear send him a pm if you need anything. This guy shares the wealth of his knowledge with everyone probably to the detriment of his business when it comes to building so support the little guy as much as you can you might save a dollar here and there shopping with big companies they don't no fuck all about stilling mac does and he always shares his knowledge :handgestures-thumbupleft: Also I'd like to thank Bt1 ,yummy rum, blond.chap, MR-E, googe, Kimbo, EG blues57 and anyone else for there advice and support could not of built this without your help your legends. Finally im no master but if any newby got any questions feel free to ask I had plenty of stupid questions at the start so don't hesitate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

ticknaylor

Postby bt1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:35 pm

wd bloke...success!

nice long PC for the hotter days... love the SS braided looks well organized and suits.

On the obsession on building....there's no known cure I'm aware off tried study, extra work, a short term fling...gave it all up for man cave time!

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:47 pm

:happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:

Excellent job Mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Go fill your barrel now .
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby googe » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:34 pm

Awesome mate, well done :clap: its a big bugger!!!. Got a name for it?. I like your split coolent lines, does it work ok?. Also where's ya valve hiding?. Good job
googe

new build still drilling

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Looks great, nice effort!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby punchy21 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:56 pm

Awesome job mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: Nice to see your sight glasses all lined up :D

When are you planning to take her for a spin?? Err scratch that, just noticed you already have 8-}
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills