new build still drilling

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: new build still drilling

Postby ticknaylor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:40 pm

arghh fuck Im a silly bugger I was so happy bout getting all the pipe I forgot to check it before I left oh well spose I'll go back next weekend and get the more expensive ones if my old boy doesn't have an expander lying around better get on the phone coz he's got a shed full of stuff he doesn't use anymore :))
ticknaylor

Postby MacStill » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:06 pm

I've probably got a few here if you need them in 4" and 2", you can have em for what they owe me.

Chuck us PM ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby ticknaylor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:38 pm

The still build has slowed down a bit lately mainly because I been flat out working and I'm waiting for a mate to hard solder some 6mm copper rings for me, oh and I need to buy some more annealed 6mm tube. Anyway always a good thing not to rush the build or this happens

Gonna have to try to hard solder the rings while there on the dephag because some dickhead flange both ends :angry-banghead:

Anyway thought I might start making the copper sight glasses just wondering how people went about shaping the curves where the sight glass joins to the column whether there was a template out there to use as a guideline when cutting with tin snips. Otherwise I was going to get one of the draftys at work to do it.
ticknaylor

Postby MacStill » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:42 pm

MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby ticknaylor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:54 pm

cheers mac legend :D
ticknaylor

Postby googe » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:51 pm

Im going through the sme thing atm mate regards to doing flanges first :angry-banghead: Have you thought about cutting of your flanges and just redo them after you do the rings?. I cant do that due to length issues but if i had your setup i would. Good luck mate.
googe

Postby Brendan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:16 pm

Hey boys, I can confidently say that you can braze the ring while on the 4" pipe.

Ask me how I know...because I did the same fucken thing last night and flared the end before I put the ring on :angry-banghead:

It was more of a spot heat on the join with the MAPP torch to get it red hot quickly, got the silver solder in there fast and got the heat away. Only left a slight discolouration spot on the 4"...would be hard to heat the whole ring to red hot as the 4" pipe acts as a big heat sink and draws the heat away...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby ticknaylor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 pm

yeah that's good to know Brendan, I think I might just be able to cut it googe but it'll be tight cause of the length issue aswell so I'm gunna attempt to hard solder it on next weekend if it doesn't work i'll cut it and reflange I was really pissed when I realised my fuck up such a silly mistake glad I'm not the only one I was feeling pretty silly afterwards :laughing-rolling:
ticknaylor

Postby googe » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:21 pm

Yeah building and not drinking is like sex with out the happy eanding, its fun but just not the same :laughing-rolling:
googe

Postby Brendan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:44 pm

I had a perfect flared end on the pipe, and actually started bending part back in to straight...and then I was like fuck that, it's the best one I'd done...there had to be another way! :think:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby ticknaylor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:22 pm

:laughing-rolling: googe there always a happy ending...... for me maybe not the missus :)) Yeah Brendan I'm not keen on redoing 4 inch either I never done it before i'm a bit wary coz the shit costs so much.

Anyway this build is back in business wont be waiting till the weekend to get those rings done managed to hard solder with this.

I used 2% and 5% both worked when I built my boka I was struggling to get enough heat in with a handheld mapp I borrowed but the 4kg bottle works sweet. Although its only 6mm pipe i dont think it would have enough kick for bigger bits of pipe. by the way its a 4kg bottle so it doesn't need a regulator DONT attach a hose straight onto the bigger bottles you'll blow yourself up :scared-eek:
ticknaylor

Postby googe » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:27 pm

Hey mate, what sort of torch have you got on that bottle?. I'm looking for a smaller one for mine. Cheers
googe

Postby ticknaylor » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:43 pm

The tip is off primus handheld propane burner. You can by the handles from bunnings there pretty expensive just for a stupid handle but I already had the primus gas tip and my little primus bottles past its ten year expiry. The tips have a "'primus thread'' so the handle allows you to connect the burner to a 1/4" thread. so I think the handle was $25ish and the 1/4 to 3/8 hose was $28ish so it was $53 or a new refillable bottle was $45 there the same as these except I think these kits have a bit more fruit.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_pro ... e=products

I think a tip was 30 odd ( not 100% sure though I just seen them there when I was pricing) so you're looking at $80 odd or you could get the whole kit shown there. You'll have to work out if its economical for you bud cause I already had that primus tip I'm not sure what else is available out there. Rudd industrial only had oxy set ups when I checked there. Hope that helps mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ticknaylor

Postby googe » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:39 pm

Thanks mate, helps alot :handgestures-thumbupleft: I might go have a look or go to a gas store and see what they have to say. Thanks again.

Cheers
googe

Postby ticknaylor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:26 am

Built these today the parrot is made of 1 inch tube, some 3/8 my old boy had, two 1 inch end caps and a 1.5"to 1" reducer, I plan to put a cap to stabilise whien I get around to it and possibly some cork to bleed out foreshots, that's why I used the end cap at the bottom it'll allow me to drill a hole to size

Built this aswell, after after having a few brews with mac the other night I decided my condenser was shit 8-} well he helped me decide that :laughing-rolling: if I had of known that flanging the end of easy flanges was an old way of doing it I might not of fuck it up as much. Anyway I went with the mac way and surprise no leaks :handgestures-thumbupleft: . This meant soldering the first plate in then dropping solder and fluxing up through the top plate soldering the bottome plate in then putting the 3/4 tubes through soldering them, doing both easy flanges and finally soldering the 1/2 inch tubes for water supply last.

The missus dog insisted I wear safety glasses

Cheers :dance:
ticknaylor

Postby MacStill » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:41 am

That condenser looks great, much better than the other one :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby googe » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:38 am

Nice work mate, looking good :handgestures-thumbupleft: .
googe

Postby ticknaylor » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:35 pm

Ran this baby the other day blind as I haven't had time to do the sight glasses she f#$king pisses alcohol :dance: got my first generation of uj going just wondering if I should take the plates out when I strip the washes i'm a bit unsure how to strip with a bubbler im assuming two run through 5 plates might strip out flavour so the plan was to run the bubbler with no plates and just the product condenser going?
ticknaylor

Postby MacStill » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:37 pm

Stripping is a thing of the past now mate, just run the sucker and blend your first few runs (generations) :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby ticknaylor » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:43 pm

thanks mac :handgestures-thumbupleft: I made a TPW to do a cleaning run could not believe how fast she belts out piss. :happy-partydance:
ticknaylor

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills