new build still drilling

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

new build still drilling

Postby ticknaylor » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:25 pm

Started the new build over the last couple of days so far three plates drilled, tried to be a cheap arse and use some old pipe from the scrap yard for the last 2 plates which was a bad idea got a black residue on it when I tried to clean it I'm pretty sure it was use for gas judging by the way the end of the pipe was sealed. But vinegar clr etc wont move this shit. Anyway long story short shouldn't of tried to be cheap I'm off to parkwoods this morning to get some brand new 2". I'll upload some pics when I work out how the fuck you upload a pic over 1 meg. I figure I need 4 more 4 inch plates ( two more for column and 2 for defag), a piece for the join between the 90 bends and a section for the product condenser. Just wondering anyone whos built these whether 1m of 2 inch will be enough ? Cheers
ticknaylor

Re: new build still drilling

Postby blond.chap » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:31 pm

Hey mate,

I'm just finishing mine off, I got 1m of 2" and built the following out of it:

- 400mm condenser
- join between the 90deg curves
- 4 short (~30mm) sections to build flanges out of
- 3 3" plates in the reflux condenser
- 3 2" plates in the shotgun condenser
- 1 4" perforated plate

Then I ran out, if you're looking to get 5 4" plates and a 400mm condenser, I'd go for more like 1.5-2m.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby ticknaylor » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:57 pm

yeah thanks mate thought 1m might be a little short cheers
ticknaylor

Postby ticknaylor » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:45 pm

The dog sleeps outside but the cooper pipe goes on my bedside table so I can look at it while making sweet love to the missus :laughing-rolling:

ticknaylor

Postby ticknaylor » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Some old tube I practise easy flanges on when building my boka I flattened to make the plates

Marking the plates up

Was thinking a another 5 plater attachment to make neutrals until I drilled these bastards :o

ticknaylor

Postby bt1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:56 pm

Giving stick one's thing...

but the rod...geez..take it easy that extra "motivation" can lead to all sorts of hassles

Last thing you need to do is howl out "refluxer" in the throws of the final act bloke :laughing-rolling:

If you want to get real flash you counter sink drill the back of plates with a slightly larger drill gets rid of the burs and may stress may, contribute to the vapour speed god...imho

why the two blank outs per plate?

a semi-retired stick
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby ticknaylor » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:11 pm

hahaha, good point the blank out is where the cordless went flat before I could drill the down comers and the other ones the cup location. quick question might be blatantly obvious but you use an offcut of 1" soldered on as a cup?
ticknaylor

Postby bt1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:23 pm

Rod Master, if I can call you that in a friendly manner.

I avoided the 2nd blank out by doing the Googe free thinking inspired foot..

(fire up the time warp theme)
it's just a jump off the plate...
and turn to right..
Hold your feet in tight...

nice ring to it ... googe footed? :laughing-rolling: It will sweep the surfing community by storm!

err,
seriously now bt...

EG don't use cups uses fluid bath of lower plate..or least he did
Mac uses suspended spider design or cups off the plate I think ...memory fading here a bit...

I used a foot ..cos a bloke never has enough(yep u guessed it!) :laughing-rolling:

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2115&hilit=foot&start=20#p29581

Save the space keep your hole count up... move off plate I reckon...but EG and Mac and Kimbo could confirm bloke if you need 2nd opinion...

drill happy
bt1
bt1

Postby ticknaylor » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:34 pm

great idea but I don't think I can be arse fabricating them and I see it as something I could stuff up and ruin the whole thing if I did. bit more research to do I spose
ticknaylor

Postby ticknaylor » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:57 pm

So I'm gunna put off the plate tree till I sort out what to do with the with downcomers and cups. So I thought I'd build the product condenser which will be 2" with 4 1/2" pipes 500mm long. Wondering if anyone could help.....
1) Put each of the 1/2" pipes halfway between centre of pipe and edge of plate 90 degrees to each other?
2) Input and out put pipes for water supply anysize preferable I know I need to solder a screw fitting for water but not sure what size pipe?
3) Do I need a third plate in middle to stop pipes touch I thought this would impede the flow of cooling water upwards in the condenser
4) anything I'm missing here

Any help would be awesome I f*cked around all last night on HD looking for templates and build examples its just to big the HD google search just leads ya on a wild goose chase through a lot of bollocks looking for the helpful stuff like I couldn't even get it to find olddogs MK2 flute build because so many f*&ckers quoted it in other posts :angry-banghead:
ticknaylor

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:57 pm

Hi Nick

This may help.Its from my VM /LM condenser. It's 1.5" not 2" and 3/8 not 1/2 but get the idea.

No templates just made it with good reason like you seem to have .Personally wouldn't worry about a plate in the middle ,once soldered /welded,this shit won't need any extra bracing.

I brazed brass threaded bush as in/out .Used 3/8 so I can use a couple of adapters to hose ends .Probably should have gone 1/2" in hindsight.

Just make the fucker.how ever you do it,it will work.
How ever you do it,you'll wish you did it differently :doh:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby MR-E » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:08 pm

ticknaylor wrote:So I'm gunna put off the plate tree till I sort out what to do with the with downcomers and cups. So I thought I'd build the product condenser which will be 2" with 4 1/2" pipes 500mm long. Wondering if anyone could help.....
1) Put each of the 1/2" pipes halfway between centre of pipe and edge of plate 90 degrees to each other?
2) Input and out put pipes for water supply anysize preferable I know I need to solder a screw fitting for water but not sure what size pipe?
3) Do I need a third plate in middle to stop pipes touch I thought this would impede the flow of cooling water upwards in the condenser
4) anything I'm missing here

Any help would be awesome I f*cked around all last night on HD looking for templates and build examples its just to big the HD google search just leads ya on a wild goose chase through a lot of bollocks looking for the helpful stuff like I couldn't even get it to find olddogs MK2 flute build because so many f*&ckers quoted it in other posts :angry-banghead:

H.D is the wrong place to look, they don't spoon feed :obscene-tolietcrapper:
Have a look at Macs older builds for examples of how he puts the D.C's & cups in place.

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MR-E

equipment: Cooking on gas,50ltr keg, 3"Bok &
4" column with 6 perf plates

Postby MacStill » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:16 pm

Copy that E

Examples

plate tree.jpg

PA031864.jpg

P3121995.jpg

P5062034.jpg

IMG_0960.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby ticknaylor » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:27 pm

Cheers yummyrum your right mate I been stalling because I wanna make this build awesome, time to get out the torch and just do it. cheers for the kick up the arse :handgestures-thumbupleft: Cheers Mr E i'll look at macs old ones I'm pretty sure I studied em all on here just BT1 made me think about different designs with his foot idea so I thought more research was in order to achieve the best design. Personally mate I don't want to be spoon fed I'd rather make up my mind from comparing information and working out the best way unfortunately HD has to much information and its not archived correctly so you can waste hours sorting through shite

Cheers NT
ticknaylor

Postby MR-E » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:38 pm

ticknaylor wrote:Cheers yummyrum your right mate I been stalling because I wanna make this build awesome, time to get out the torch and just do it. cheers for the kick up the arse :handgestures-thumbupleft: Cheers Mr E i'll look at macs old ones I'm pretty sure I studied em all on here just BT1 made me think about different designs with his foot idea so I thought more research was in order to achieve the best design. Personally mate I don't want to be spoon fed I'd rather make up my mind from comparing information and working out the best way unfortunately HD has to much information and its not archived correctly so you can waste hours sorting through shite

Cheers NT

Sorry mate, wasn't having a dig at you :oops: having a dig at H.D, they almost, always tell you to do your research, there are a few exceptions :-D
MR-E

equipment: Cooking on gas,50ltr keg, 3"Bok &
4" column with 6 perf plates

Postby ticknaylor » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:44 pm

Yeah cheers mac,
The top one is the one I was looking at and gunna build till bt1 showed me his way of doing things might just stick with it use the KISS theory. sorry in advance if I'm pissing people off with dumbarse questions still pretty amateur :? So can I just use a 20mm section of 1inch soldered to the plate as cups or do have to use a plumbing end cap coz I cant see what difference it would make. Probably a blatantly obvious stupid question im guessing. The rest I've sussed out 3/4 downomers 10mm sticking out of top of plate bout 110mm long. All good MR E any opinions/advice is welcome that's what makes an online community :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ticknaylor

Postby MacStill » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:45 pm

ticknaylor wrote: Personally mate I don't want to be spoon fed I'd rather make up my mind from comparing information and working out the best way unfortunately HD has to much information and its not archived correctly so you can waste hours sorting through shite

Cheers NT

Oh you wont get spoon fed here, we love to provoke thought and steer people, and I dont totally disagree with HD's attitude either.

The way I see it, you go looking for info and on your journey to find that your inadvertently finding other info, and learning great stuff along the way :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So can I just use a 20mm section of 1inch soldered to the plate as cups

Exactly how the first two pics are done, good pick up :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby ticknaylor » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 pm

cheers mac yeah gunna get the blow torch topped up for the weekend tomoz 8-)
ticknaylor

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:23 pm

McStill wrote:The way I see it, you go looking for info and on your journey to find that your inadvertently finding other info, and learning great stuff along the way :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So can I just use a 20mm section of 1inch soldered to the plate as cups

Exactly how the first two pics are done, good pick up :handgestures-thumbupleft:

God ain't that the truth.
Thanks McStill .Seen alot of Bubbler builds and just picked up on this .Always "ASSUMED END CAPS" :doh:
Sometimes you really got to read the words.
Sorry Nick for the diversion
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby bt1 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:32 am

tick,

I admire your spirit and outlook...that stuff inside your head type spirit...

wd you'll make a cracker of build I have no doubt.

bt1
bt1

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills