6 Week Bubbler Challenge

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: 6 Week Bubbler Challenge

Postby Brendan » Sun May 12, 2013 11:47 pm

MacStill wrote:Aint gunna stop us hangin shit on you though.... :teasing-neener:

That's all right :handgestures-thumbupleft:

tumblr_lnh1fu3w4S1qdku4ro1_500.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby emptyglass » Mon May 13, 2013 12:03 am

I bet you did a bit more than giggled, I reckon you might even need to change your jox after that.

Well done mate.
emptyglass

Postby Brendan » Mon May 13, 2013 4:17 pm

So The Demon finally got an ethanol run! :shifty:

Did the saccrificial run this morning, and holy snappin duck shit are these things good!

I used the 6 plates, and packed section on top, and....farkin BOOM (note: boom of excitement, not actual boom) :happy-partydance:

96%.jpg

That's at 22.5 deg celsius... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brendan

Postby MacStill » Mon May 13, 2013 4:23 pm

.... cant ask for much better than that :clap: :clap:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Brendan » Mon May 13, 2013 4:25 pm

Here's some observations from the run...was slightly confusing after hearing other feedback on here for a few reasons....

1) Boiler power...I got it up to temp on 4800W, backed it off to about 3600W and once the plates were loaded, they seemed very "high". Higher than I had expected from seeing other's videos anyway. I mean it wasn't flooding up to the next plate, but it was foaming well over the DC and the cup as well. I started backing off the power to see how far down I could go...have heard a few say that theirs would drop out at 2400W but only need a little bit more...well put it to 2600W and was still fairly charging, so turned off an element just to see what it would do and it worked fine...about how i expected all the plates to look...so I pretty much did the whole run comfortably at 2400W. :think:

2) Also, my 130mm high 3" RC with 4x 1" vapour tubes is meant to be overly sufficient for the rig according to everyone's feedback, however....with fairly cool cooling water, I had to back the boiler power back below 3000W before I could achieve full reflux....with the pump throwing everything through the RC, and boiler above 3000W, I was getting a trickle out of the output :? So it was about 2900W before I could leave it sitting in full reflux without any output coming out... :think: (Maybe that's good I don't know, but seemed different to what I was expecting...)
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Mon May 13, 2013 4:34 pm

Here's a few videos...

This is the rig punching a bit above 3000W (I think?)...I would've had a small trickle coming out of the output

Another video from somewhere during the run...

And here it is a bit under the 3000W mark looking about as I expected it to :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I must once again thank Mac and the forum here at AussieDistiller for providing the community that we have here that allows a lot of us to be able to achieve things like this, by learning and sharing information. :clap:
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Mon May 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Who says bubblers aren't very good at making neutral?

I'm calling bullshit on that... :D

Here's a little video of The Demon running with 6 plates plus the 500mm packed section (packed with copper mesh)...it's only running at about 2400W, and the output is maintaining 95-96%ABV @ well over 2L per hour :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Brendan

Postby 1 2many » Mon May 13, 2013 5:04 pm

Wow Brendan totaly amazing build , you must be stoked at the perfomance of that rig well done

Good vids too.

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Linno » Mon May 13, 2013 5:20 pm

Brendan wrote:Here's some observations from the run...was slightly confusing after hearing other feedback on here for a few reasons....

1) Boiler power...I got it up to temp on 4800W, backed it off to about 3600W and once the plates were loaded, they seemed very "high". Higher than I had expected from seeing other's videos anyway. I mean it wasn't flooding up to the next plate, but it was foaming well over the DC and the cup as well. I started backing off the power to see how far down I could go...have heard a few say that theirs would drop out at 2400W but only need a little bit more...well put it to 2600W and was still fairly charging, so turned off an element just to see what it would do and it worked fine...about how i expected all the plates to look...so I pretty much did the whole run comfortably at 2400W. :think:

2) Also, my 130mm high 3" RC with 4x 1" vapour tubes is meant to be overly sufficient for the rig according to everyone's feedback, however....with fairly cool cooling water, I had to back the boiler power back below 3000W before I could achieve full reflux....with the pump throwing everything through the RC, and boiler above 3000W, I was getting a trickle out of the output :? So it was about 2900W before I could leave it sitting in full reflux without any output coming out... :think: (Maybe that's good I don't know, but seemed different to what I was expecting...)

hey Brendan great vids and still mate, :clap: :clap: i have also found my bubbler runs best around the 2400w mark.... also i dont think its a real bad thing having a drop of output here or there while its in reflux.. i usually reflux for about 20/30 mins after the plates load and i will collect about 60mls in the parrot.
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby emptyglass » Mon May 13, 2013 6:52 pm

Done well Brendan.
Its a good feeling when it all comes together.

And they are nice and fast too.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
emptyglass

Postby Bushy » Mon May 13, 2013 8:06 pm

Well faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark me!
Well done Brendan. You ran the still. :happy-partydance:
If you all don't mind, i'm gonna call it.
Since Jan 21 it's been 112 days, or 16 WEEKS
16 weeks of joy, laughter' tears and success. Thank fuck thats over :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The worst bit is, this is the last piss take, in regards to the six week challenge anyways :-D
Well done Brendan. Really.
Enjoy your new toy

Bushy
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby SBB » Mon May 13, 2013 8:26 pm

Well done Mate, Thats a top looking build :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: Now its time to reap the benefits of all that work and hassle.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Brendan » Mon May 13, 2013 8:43 pm

Bushy wrote:Well faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark me!
Well done Brendan. You ran the still. :happy-partydance:
If you all don't mind, i'm gonna call it.
Since Jan 21 it's been 112 days, or 16 WEEKS
16 weeks of joy, laughter' tears and success. Thank fuck thats over :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The worst bit is, this is the last piss take, in regards to the six week challenge anyways :-D
Well done Brendan. Really.
Enjoy your new toy

Bushy

Thanks everyone!

Haha Bushy, I think I finished building after 9 or 10 weeks, but hey I meant to call it 16 Week but left the 1 off :laughing-rolling:

Pretty happy to have it all running problem free...now I just need a 1000L+ cooling water tank!

After seeing that thing pump out neutral, I don't think my pot OR my VM are going to get used now! :snooty:
Brendan

Postby Bushy » Mon May 13, 2013 9:45 pm

Good onya Brendan. :smile:
Yeah mate, once you have the bubbler you don't even think about runnin anything else. My little column is gettin rusty and poor ol potty had an organ transplant into the Behemoth.
The best spirit money can't buy.
I'm only new but welcome aboard :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Oh yeah and the build ain't done till you got somethin out of it. I reckon.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby googe » Mon May 13, 2013 11:11 pm

Nice work mate, glad the run went well for you, great result :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

Postby Brendan » Tue May 14, 2013 8:22 pm

Ran 40L of Weet-Bix low wines (30%ABV) today...so was a major run and good test of the bubbler!

It held 96%ABV @ 2L/hr for well over 5 hours :D

Collected about 9L of really clean hearts to dilute for vodka :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Tue May 14, 2013 10:17 pm

Here's a shot of the 'cutting bench'...9L of 96%ABV :handgestures-thumbupleft:

CutBench.JPG

And a little video of the run pumping out the good stuff :D

Brendan

Postby MacStill » Tue May 14, 2013 10:23 pm

Absolutely stunning build mate, reckon anyone would be proud to have that in there still house..... awesome job ^:)^
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Brendan » Tue May 14, 2013 10:43 pm

MacStill wrote:Absolutely stunning build mate, reckon anyone would be proud to have that in there still house..... awesome job ^:)^

Thanks Mac :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I reckon anyone would be proud to have a 'stillhouse' :))
Brendan

Postby emptyglass » Tue May 14, 2013 11:09 pm

I think that calls for some music.

If you listen closly he's actually saying "we got a still, thats called the red eye love"
emptyglass

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills