Bt1 build blog V2 - Glass

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Bt1 build blog V2 - Glass

Postby crow » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:31 pm

Bt I'm gas all the way mate, can't work out the fasination with the invisible bitey stuff but ....
This is one area I would really consider using an electric boiler, just to many things could go wrong . Be safe dude, no one wants to hear about members getting hurt or worse :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby tickle » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:43 pm

BT,
Do you suppose this build was easier because of construction materials, or because of expreiance? I know my second build went much smoother than the first one! Experience and methods or material?
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Postby bt1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:17 am

Howdy,

See a minor risk diff but it will be well tested and yep have the fire stuff at hand.

tickle, this is still number six so reckon I should have some tricks learnt. They help but this build is simplier...it less demanding that a std column...
No round plates to fit in
simpler design idea
no sight glasses
no hard joins it simply bolts together...or at least I'm planning it to.. :?
all the stuff required is off shelf and readily sourced
quick to build

we'll see how it goes when it's tested could be a winner may not be...Can get a larger thicker dedicated glass but not until May so if glasses don't cut it will need to wait a bit for the new ones.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Camikaze » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:42 am

Glad to hear it all coming along mate.

Let us know how she performs with the steam run. And don't forget the photos! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Just my :twocents-02cents:
If it were me, I would wait until May, when you have the dedicated glass for the maiden alcohol run. Use the cheap glass for the fabrication and mock up etc to get things all nice. When the good glass arrives, wack 'er in and fire it up.

But thats just me. Be safe mate, no one wants a burnin' BT. :auto-ambulance: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby bt1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:55 am

Howdy,

Well assemble is underway...

A picy or two and some findings so far...
Image000.jpg

I ended up going with small 4G SS 9mm sheet metal screws to retain gaskets and glass as the thought of precision cutting 28 6mm pins from a piece of 2.5mm heavy gauge ex cable wire and soldering in certainly did not appeal....this is after all a simpler design idea.

The gaskets are slightly notched so it's forced against the retaining screws. It works, holds the gasket firmly and added bonus is screw head rests on gasket surface to also also.

Seating and tension is not an issue it bites well into cork gaskets without issues.

Might re do one plate as it was silver soldered and the map gun heat anneals the sheet...causes loss of stiffness for the small plates something to remember soft solder in the down comers only.

Image001.jpg

Weather and two still runs permitting should be done today.

bt1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bt1

Postby bt1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:01 pm

Howdy,

Well she's about done... 3 weeks from go to woe...less than 16 hours I reckon...it really is a straight forward build
Spot of testing next week.
Image003.jpg

Spacer at bottom to get some distance from heat source also acts as a large volcanic rock filter, small rock filter at the top pre RC. I doubt I'd ever build a new still without volcanic rock filtering after the results so far...

Will be good to do a run to see what actually happens in detail on all plates.

cheers
bt1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bt1

Bt1 build blog V2 - Glass

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:26 pm

Please video run #1. I'm no expert here but are you worried about pressure? What if this glass blows out full of vapor and you're running gas? Nude flame + 90% alc airborn... Is this gonna be safe?

Have you done a water run first ? Or am I over thinking this? As I say I have no build experience so I can't judge, maybe others have some safety thoughts here maybe?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby crow » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:39 pm

nar can't see where there would be any pressure , i am a little concerned about glass over flame but That is more to do with heat expansion stressing the glass, particularly the bottom plates at the tail end. Chances are there won't be a problem and the lamp glass should be able to take the heat ranges we are talking about here. The other concern EG raised was it getting hit or bumped, just a bit risky for gas for me but it sure is an interesting build and it will be no doubt very interesting to see the run (personally just wish there was no flame involved) good luck with it bt hope it all goes smooth :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:40 pm

those lantern glasses are so fragile, careful a bee dont bump it :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bt1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:33 am

Howdy,

Yeh as Crow mentioned there's no pressure here it's an open system as usual. On temps issue see no issues as they're in normal operation have a gas mantle running so we should be well over the 100c mark.

Guess it will come down to testing next weekend.. start with a few steam runs and a reduced volume heads cleaner.

bt1
bt1

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:38 am

Bt1, That looks really cool.
What are you using for gaskets ,looks like cork ?

I can't see any undue stress on the column until you attach the PC ,then there will be a mixture of forces.

Not an engineer but I would imagine a downward force ( compression) on the glass on the side closest to the PC
An upward force ( pulling) on the bolts but not on the glass on the opposite side to the PC
And a sheer force diagonally from bottom closest to PC to top furthermost from PC.

Still we can postulate all we like .Go ahead and fire it up Bt1 .can't wait mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby bt1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:59 am

howdy Yum,

yeh cork at the mo...would love to use this new heat proof silicone but can not find anything in a flat sheet of it to cut from. Mostly like use EPDM but again it's not a std size so sourcing is a pain.

cheers
bt1
bt1

Postby bt1 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:38 pm

Howdy,

Found a supplier in SA for EPDM sheet...once I have pricing I'll post.

been thinking...why do I need a 4"/100mm RC...to reduce weight and bulk why not go straight to a 2" reducer and into a 2" 4 x 1/2" tube RC.

Seems with the very small 4" RC I'm running at half height a 2"/50mm RC would more than be capable of the job. Thoughts?

bt1
bt1

Postby blond.chap » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:04 pm

bt1 wrote:Howdy,

Found a supplier in SA for EPDM sheet...once I have pricing I'll post.

been thinking...why do I need a 4"/100mm RC...to reduce weight and bulk why not go straight to a 2" reducer and into a 2" 4 x 1/2" tube RC.

Seems with the very small 4" RC I'm running at half height a 2"/50mm RC would more than be capable of the job. Thoughts?

bt1

My 3", 75mm RC with 4*1" inner tubes knocks everything down, to the point that it can be hard to get coolant flowing slowly enough. Go the small RC is what I say.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby tickle » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:17 am

Give it a shot...you know I love two stage...2" would work I think,too

Cant wait to see it run!
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Postby bt1 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:29 pm

Well, one rather small 2"/50mm RC.

Packed to the "max" with 3 x3/4"/19.7mm...lol vapour tubes.

Bit of fun to make for a couple hours...not used to working in this scale but it's done should do the trick for new glasser.

IMAG0002v2.jpg

cheers
bt1
bt1

Postby JagCrusher » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:28 am

Hi Bt1,
Nice build :handgestures-thumbupleft: ... I'm thinking of something similar and have a quick question please... what size threaded rod/studding have you used to hold it all together... 6mm?

Cheers!
JagCrusher

equipment: Lots of empty vodka bottles waiting to be filled!

Postby bt1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:36 am

Yep,

6mm 304 grade SS rod. Also got the nuts from same supplier...Adelaide United Fastners 75 cost about $5.50.

The screws which where a god send are 4G size x 9mm #2 Phillips head as SS sheet metal screws.

Enjoy.. it a rapid build and fairly low cost...I've got to do a few more runs to be completely confident with it.

btw there will be thicker clear borosilcate glasses ready in about May.. these are full sized 100mm/4" glasses I'm told.

cheers
bt1
bt1

Postby JagCrusher » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:46 am

Many thanks for the info... much appreciated!

Am looking forward to any further updates from you runs :handgestures-thumbupleft:

All the best,
Jag
JagCrusher

equipment: Lots of empty vodka bottles waiting to be filled!

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:09 pm

Hey Bt1

"Enjoy.. it a rapid build and fairly low cost...I've got to do a few more runs to be completely confident with it."

That sounds like you've had it running yeah ??

What did you run ? Did it look cool :drool:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills