Rock Filtering bonus

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Rock Filtering bonus

Postby blond.chap » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Kimbo wrote:
crow wrote:yeah don't know about that, EG ran stuff though that 10 plate set up and well yeah it was vodka but it wasn't my idea of neutral though as in a hint of some flavour and a totally different mouth feel to neutral. it was almost like an ultra light white rum (can't think what they call that rummy vodka drink)

So that was a Molasses wash Crow? how D'ya recon a TPW would go, coz I've run a tpw thru my bubbler and it came out with stuff all flavour.
A molasses wash has a lot more flavour to begin with. :think:

I would be very interested to hear that one of you guys has done a side by side comparison with a 4 plater alone and then a 4 plater with a rock section :happy-partydance:

Coincidentally I've got 2 identical rum washes going now, one will be run through 4 plates for a dark rum, the other will be with the plates and packed section for a white rum. Looking to run them next weekend I'll let you know how it turns out.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Kimbo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:58 pm

Brilliant, let us know mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Has anyone got a couple of TPW's to do the same test?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby emptyglass » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Hill wrote:Have you done anymore tests with this empty? I'm getting my packed section cut this week and just reading up on how long to make it.

All I can say is make it as long as you ever think you'll need. You dont have to run it full and you can experiment with different depths. 500mm seems long enough.
I've tried 600mm and 1000mm, but on a different number of plates, so I cant say if the length really matters, but about 1/2 the main column's length would be a good start point, imo.

Kimbo wrote:
crow wrote:yeah don't know about that, EG ran stuff though that 10 plate set up and well yeah it was vodka but it wasn't my idea of neutral though as in a hint of some flavour and a totally different mouth feel to neutral. it was almost like an ultra light white rum (can't think what they call that rummy vodka drink)

So that was a Molasses wash Crow? how D'ya recon a TPW would go, coz I've run a tpw thru my bubbler and it came out with stuff all flavour.
A molasses wash has a lot more flavour to begin with. :think:
I would be very interested to hear that one of you guys has done a side by side comparison with a 4 plater alone and then a 4 plater with a rock section :happy-partydance:
Yeah, it was a molasses and a bit of bourbon. But the TPW run came out fantastic, even for a bourbon fan. I was very impressed with the results. But I only make neutral once or twice a year, its hard to justify for that little use.
emptyglass

Postby CH3CH2OH » Sat May 25, 2013 3:38 pm

are you guys mounting your packed section below your plates or above?
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Postby Brendan » Sat May 25, 2013 3:43 pm

CH3CH2OH wrote:are you guys mounting your packed section below your plates or above?

Above...mostly.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills