Plate disabling systems

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Plate disabling systems

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi is there any photos around of plate downloaders
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Re: Plate downloaders

Postby MacStill » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:42 pm

you mean downcomers ?

IMG_0965.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG

IMG_0979x.JPG

Before the cup goes on.

IMG_0981 x.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:46 pm

No downloader i saw a photo today [cant find it again ] of a column with little valves [taps] coming out from each plate they called them plate downloaders
Aussiedownunder01

equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby MacStill » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 pm

your talking about a plate disabling system, never heard it referred to as a downloader 8-}

Plate-Tree-and-Drainage.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:50 pm

MacStill wrote:your talking about a plate disabling system, never heard it referred to as a downloader 8-}

Yep thats it just interested to learn more about them i see most of the larger stills have them
Aussiedownunder01

Re: Plate disabling systems

Postby Brendan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:58 pm

Just right click on the plate, and download it :-B

image.jpg

Sorry, couldn't help it :laughing-rolling:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby bt1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:18 pm

I built a two disabler.

It changes abv, theory says allows more flavour.

Not convinced.

A plate take off now that's another story....see some merit but have yet to research it past the chem industy blurb of taking separate factions.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby crow » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:27 pm

My thoughts (for what they are worth) on this is that the whole idea was kinda superseded by the modular concept . that is you are unlikely to want to disable or enable plates mid run so rather than going to all the hass of building and running this its easier to just decide how many plates you would like to run for a given run and add or remove them , problem solvered :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Kimbo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:36 pm

crow wrote:My thoughts (for what they are worth) on this is that the whole idea was kinda superseded by the modular concept . that is you are unlikely to want to disable or enable plates mid run so rather than going to all the hass of building and running this its easier to just decide how many plates you would like to run for a given run and add or remove them , problem solvered :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-imwithstupid:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:41 pm

The idea has merit IMHO, but it's a lot of rooting around for little gain.

By having 5 plates and allowing to disable 2 will do a couple of things.

being you still get the heads compression of a 5 plater, then disable desired plates for the run to get the flavour and ABV of a three plater.

makes cleaning/flushing bubble cap plates easy.

Personally I wouldnt bother unless I was going to run wash's in excess of 150 to 200 L.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:46 pm

Ok well i got to ask : wouldn't this system run slower than a normal bubbler ?
I did see one design I liked which had the plates on a butterfly system like you have in a carbie now that seemed not to hard to do and very easy to opporate
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:48 pm

Cant see how mate, it'll run as quick as you want to push it via heat and reflux ratio
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:41 pm

Here's a link to OD's Plate disabling still http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=20947

Heres a couple of pics of it .Hope Old Dog doesn't mind .

Can't find the exact link but OD in summary was not all that impressed .Again OD chime in please.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby googe » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:30 pm

crow wrote:Ok well i got to ask : wouldn't this system run slower than a normal bubbler ?
I did see one design I liked which had the plates on a butterfly system like you have in a carbie now that seemed not to hard to do and very easy to opporate

That's an awesome idea crow!!! :think:
googe

Postby emptyglass » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:12 am

crow wrote:Ok well i got to ask : wouldn't this system run slower than a normal bubbler ?

I'd love to see it. I am curious as to how he/she sealed the cross shafts, and also got a good enough seal with the column wall when the plates were called into operation.
Oh shit, nearly forgot, did the downcomers swing with the plates? I guess they would have, so probably had j cups on each plate....I guess...
Must have been on one of those European sites that I cant understand.
:))
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:15 am

was on artisan I think, not sure it ever got completed.... but yeh :wtf:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 am

actually it was described as in I don't think it was built. I'm pretty sure by OD yeah from memory the idea was to have an axle set up sealing it would be not to hard and the idea was to just use some sort of key (like a spanner would work) on the pin/axle that would extend out. yes naturally it would have to be perf plates with a J or hey a centre cap would work to I guess. Who ever it was you came up with this got shot to bits for all sorts of reasons but none of them were particularly logical, like always when someone describes something before its ever been done ;-)
PS yeah ok Mac might have been , it was a long time ago I saw it . I have made reference to it here in some other thread maybe six month or more ago
crow

Postby punchy21 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:35 am

crow wrote:actually it was described as in I don't think it was built. I'm pretty sure by OD yeah from memory the idea was to have an axle set up sealing it would be not to hard and the idea was to just use some sort of key (like a spanner would work) on the pin/axle that would extend out. yes naturally it would have to be perf plates with a J or hey a centre cap would work to I guess. Who ever it was you came up with this got shot to bits for all sorts of reasons but none of them were particularly logical, like always when someone describes something before its ever been done ;-)
PS yeah ok Mac might have been , it was a long time ago I saw it . I have made reference to it here in some other thread maybe six month or more ago

Was it this one?? :think:

http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3 ... =61&t=5020
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby crow » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:09 pm

Nup not the right thread
crow

Postby emptyglass » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:54 pm

Plate disabling is probably good for the commercial guys, or a still thats mounted in permanantly. That would let you set the still for a particular product, and run it.
But for most of us, like mac said, go modular and set it up with the apropriate plates, or remove/add plates to a plate tree.

I think MR made a plate drian that went from the top plate to the bottom plate, in an effort to achive higher purification, but his comments were that he got better success with packing.

I guess if your still is 20 feet tall, with 40 plates, you are not going to want to strip it down, so they could be real handy there.
emptyglass

Return to Plated Column Stills