Liquid bath depth vs. flavour

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Liquid bath depth vs. flavour

Postby Brendan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:00 pm

I have been reading a few threads lately relating to liquid bath depths and their result on flavour.

It seems to be general consensus that a lower liquid depth = more flavour (lower %ABV), and deeper liquid level = less flavour (higher %ABV). The theory is that the liquid bath acts like a filter medium, so the more liquid, the harder for the ethanol vapour to work through (more chance of condensing, so only higher alcohols get through).

I'm interested to hear if anybody has experimented with their flavoured products and liquid level/downcomer height. I know Mac uses and recommends 25mm and this works well for his Rum...I'm wondering if a lower bath depth might be more preferable for whisky/whiskey.

Myself, I'll be sticking with Mac's suggestion of 25mm as I'm after a lighter whisky anyway...due to the modularity, I can easily de-solder and change the height of my downcomers later if desired. Just thought I'd see if anyone has made conclusions for themselves with this topic. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Re: Liquid bath depth vs. flavour

Postby emptyglass » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:27 pm

You might also have read that the vodka dudes might, in an odd way, be best placed to comment on flavor carry over. Interesting observation.

But some guys on hd are running true thump towers, with fluid depths of up to 4 or 5 inches and they make flavored drinks. They seem happy (see; LWTCS and Rockchucker to start with)

Its said that 3 distilation cycles are enough for flavor, and 12 to 13 for vodka, but how do you achive a "true" distilation cycle. Or more rightly, how do you know your still is producing the distillation cycles you think it should be?
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:53 pm

I've run bath depths of 20 to 35mm and cant say I noticed any real difference in flavour carry over ;-)

Adjustable down comers would help decide for you, I use reducers for down comers in some of my stills through the plates for this reason, so you can stick a piece of pipe in them to increase bath depth, however they are limited by the height of the riser under the cap if using caps.

Sieve (perforated) or valve trays would be better than caps (IMHO) for experimenting with bath depths due to a riser isn't used in the tray design.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bt1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:30 am

Howdy,

The new still is 15mm set downcomers for the reason mentioned instead of the std 25mm... reckon if I'm going AG then why the hell not.

Secondly have being toying with a wave plate, a corrugated 1cm wave with adjustable downcomers to see if it will induce more vapour bursting in the high ridges, vary plate dynamics a little...It might control or restrict weeping to the plate valleys depending on how slow you want to run it.

Downsides are going to be reduced seperation I guess and the impact on abv, less mixing due to reduced plate agitation across whole surface..truly just a idea.
It can be folded at a workshop fairly easily but drilling it is dam near impossible.

I reckon also it could be a biatch to fit given the high points of folds dig into column walls somewhat.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Linny » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:52 am

tried drilling first then folding ?
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Kimbo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:24 am

The drilling part is easy mate, if you want the holes in the ridges then just turn the plate upside down for drilling. ;-)
as for the plate catching on the inside of the column, maybe a small weir or "band" will help.
My opinion is that you wont see a scrap of difference to the plates you are already running. :-B
But this hobby is all about experimenting, so let us know how you get on mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby tickle » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:38 am

I have plates with with downcommers that just cover my caps, and another set that submerges them by 4". Cant say I could notice a difference, either in taste,or in how it runs. I default to the deeper plates usually,but only cause I like watcging the bubbles at the higher levels 8-)
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Return to Plated Column Stills