Nye trays/plates

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Nye trays/plates

Postby bt1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:16 am

Wondering as I've some time and copper spare, if anyone has had a crack at a version or use of big boys industrial Nye plates...

clearly needs re scaling for our work but seems like a viable option to use instead of drilling...keen on the shaped pressed as it can add the vortex effect at our relatively low vapour speeds.

I've seen about 8 designs discussed and reviewed and read a few new patents for a few more. They seem very tailored to specific gravity , inputs and could be a great result if the design was right for us....reading on this is ongoing so opinion and understanding is not set.

This could be the next logical step in the plate area for flat plate design, avoiding the complexity of valved tray design and difficulties of running and controlling with any degree of accuracy.

Any ideas on a company or tool maker who could make a hard steel punch, or do the whole job suitable for plate punching instead of purchasing a full plate that's not scaled or punched specifically for our smaller scale needs?

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Re: Nye trays/plates

Postby googe » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:52 pm

From what I've found, kind of reminds me of old scaffold board grip, the ones with holes punched with what looks like a 4 point punch. Shouldn't be to hard or expensive to get a punch made or to get it punched. You got any links you would care to share so we know exactly what your after bt?.
googe

Postby bt1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:05 pm

bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Sam. » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:15 pm

I have nothing to back this up, but I am thinking that these designs would operate completely different on a commercial scale as to what we are doing.

I have no doubt they could be replicated or scaled down to our sizes but at the end of the day I i'm not sure if there would be any difference to the end product :think:

But hey, nothing ventured nothing gained :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MacStill » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:47 pm

:O)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Plated Column Stills