3" Bubbler??

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: 3" Bubbler??

Postby googe » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:42 pm

The only reason I could see for back pressure yummy is if the rc was a metre long and your pump was 1ml an hour :)) .
googe

Postby emptyglass » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:14 pm

I like to run two valves. I use a pump and I find its more about flow than pressure for me.
At the start of the run, its nice to shut the P.C. down to a dribble, most of the flow goes through the R.C. for max reflux.
If I leave the P.C. valve open, I'll get a little dribble, similar to a prostate problem, I guess. A higher pressure pump and this wouldn't happen, or mains.
Close it and nothing gets past. Sometimes dosn't matter, but its nice to know you got full control.
emptyglass

Postby rustee » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:50 am

Ahaaa.... the (mates rates) shipment is in - guess what im doing tonight.

fittings.jpg

If all goes to plan (and it usually doesnt) i should be doing a cleaning run on the weekend. :dance:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rustee

equipment: 3" - 4 Plate Bubbler
Offset head 2" LM column still
50L keg boiler on gas

Postby Camikaze » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:14 am

:happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:

Bet someone's a happy chappy!

Now....get cracking! :D
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby rustee » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:57 pm

Alright i have everything together - just need to apply a bit of spit and polish. :-bd Doing a cleaning run tomorrow to check for any probs.

complete.jpg

Also need to sort a better solution for the parrot.

Just as an aside - is there a trick to stop the site glasses from chipping around the edges?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rustee

50L keg boiler on gas

Postby JayD » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:01 pm

Looking good... :handgestures-thumbupleft: with your sightglasses only tighten them to they seal...no need to squeeze the sphincter muscle.
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby googe » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:12 pm

Looks like everything went to plan :handgestures-thumbupleft: we'll done mate, looks really good, I like that design. Good luck with the run tomorrow.
googe

Postby Bushy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:05 pm

Fuck Rustee. That looks sensational. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby emptyglass » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:48 pm

rustee wrote:Just as an aside - is there a trick to stop the site glasses from chipping around the edges?

Make a very short ferrule for the other side.

IMGP3770B.jpg
emptyglass

Postby googe » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:24 pm

Could you use a flange from some 1/4' or a cut out of sheet empty?.
googe

Postby 1 2many » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:35 pm

Bushy wrote:Fuck Rustee. That looks sensational. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: Top job Rustee looks Awsome bet your hanging to get her hot. :D
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby emptyglass » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:49 pm

googe wrote:Could you use a flange from some 1/4' or a cut out of sheet empty?.

You could cut one from flat sheet, even some flattened out tube would do. Even a couple of wraps of teflon tape will stop the glass chipping.
I'm anal on quality, and I know my glasses wont leak doing it this way. Forming the copper like an easyflange also stiffens the backing ring, but leaves it soft enough to conform to the forged/cast finnish on most tricalmp insides. Copper at the back and front, the clamp tightens evenly.
As I said, I'm anal.
emptyglass

Postby rustee » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:30 am

Hi guys. I had an opportunity to test out my new likker fountain sculpture on the weekend by running some tow through. Achieves 100% reflux no probs. I took a couple of short vids of it during the run but can't figure out how to post here. Does anyone have a suggestion for this? The rc seems a bit slow to react so I might need to do a couple more test runs before I put the good stuff through. Also I reckon I might need separate outlets for the rc and pc instead of them branching into one. Any thoughts on this?
rustee

50L keg boiler on gas

Postby MacStill » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:33 am

rustee wrote:Hi guys. I had an opportunity to test out my new likker fountain sculpture on the weekend by running some tow through. Achieves 100% reflux no probs. I took a couple of short vids of it during the run but can't figure out how to post here. Does anyone have a suggestion for this? The rc seems a bit slow to react so I might need to do a couple more test runs before I put the good stuff through. Also I reckon I might need separate outlets for the rc and pc instead of them branching into one. Any thoughts on this?

If you dont have a youtube account you can email em to me & I'll put em up for :handgestures-thumbupleft:

mcstill@aussiedistiller dot com dot au
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby rustee » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks mac. I will send em this arvo when I get home. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rustee

50L keg boiler on gas

Postby googe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:15 am

"likker fountain sculpture" I like that lol. Good stuff mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: .
googe

Postby bt1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:43 pm

I'd be keen to see the finished setup cos the plumbing layout you posted earlier i don't understand...it looks like drain is connected three ways?

the RC speed is about volume and flow as you know. I got over the volume issues by using tickles mid length condenser drain...it would be around a second or two before i see the change at parrot.

Might be worth a spot of thinking time...consider especially on a reasonable pump the water coming from PC to the RC could be dead cold also.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby rustee » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:57 pm

bt1 wrote:it looks like drain is connected three ways?

Yeah it is BT and I reckon its a bit of a problem. I am considering changing it so the RC has a separate outlet. I reckon the three way connection interrupts the flow from the RC when the RC valve is only slightly open. :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah: I will post a pic shortly and it might make it a bit clearer. :wtf:
rustee

50L keg boiler on gas

Postby rustee » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:25 pm

Here you go - heres a couple of pics

WP_000229.jpg

WP_000230.jpg

Oh yeah and the lower connection on the PC is just structural support it doesn't have water flowing through it.
rustee

50L keg boiler on gas

Postby bt1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:53 am

Howdy bloke,

I've looked at it a couple of times and sry I'm not getting it. It looks like a closed loop...I cant see water feed in...I know I'm not seeing it right but I can't sort it out in my head.
regardless, if you reckon you have feed control/ flow to the RC via the RHS valve and that makes sense then there's only two things I can think of...

The ball valve ain't sensitive enough...I started with one changed to a 12 turn gate valve even then its like 1/10 of turn adjustment for the whole run...perhaps ball valve is allowing too much flow and your not seeing the change at parrot as a result...ie 5mm shift at near valve close = 3/4 of your flow adjustment...balls ain't linear in flow.

The common drain/exhaust for RC is allowing counter flow....easy to check without cutting and new hoses..put a small piece of clear tube inline so you can see.

The ball valve flow would be the most likely imho

I wish I could help more cos it's a very nice looking piece of kit and deserves a good solution.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills