3" Bubbler??

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: 3" Bubbler??

Postby tickle » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:22 am

Hard to see on my phone; but it looks like the inlet is way down on the pc, hard to see BT. Tell us bout the run...it looks like the "inside" valve would have to be almost completly closed in order to get flow to the rc. If that's the case, you might be sending a bit more flow through the rc than you might think...it kinda looks like that inside valve controls how much water goes donw the drain. To me. If it does, the second valve won't do too much; if you set the drain/inside valve to balance flow out to the rc..then adjust the rc valve, it just upsets the balance you set. You "might" end up chasing your tail...this change affect that, that affects this...sorry if I'm off base, squinting at a crapppy phone, will look again at home on the lappy. Like BT said, nice kit. You will get it to work perfect. Hope I helped
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Postby googe » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:45 am

Yeah tickle is right about the inlet bt, have a look back to page 3 rustees got a pic of the setup better. Like I said earlier I don't think the frst valve is necessary. I think Macs got the best idea about having warm water from the PC feeding the rc. You need a smaller rc or like bt said a reduced level in the rc. I use a 1/4 gate valve now and it's really responsive, but only after the rc has been warmed. I'm still not happy with how long the initial takeoff is but that's because my rc is to big. They kept telling me, make.it small make it small, I didn't listen and now pay for it lol. Good luck mate.
googe

Postby JayD » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:04 am

googe wrote:Yeah tickle is right about the inlet bt, have a look back to page 3 rustees got a pic of the setup better. Like I said earlier I don't think the frst valve is necessary. I think Macs got the best idea about having warm water from the PC feeding the rc. You need a smaller rc or like bt said a reduced level in the rc. I use a 1/4 gate valve now and it's really responsive, but only after the rc has been warmed. I'm still not happy with how long the initial takeoff is but that's because my rc is to big. They kept telling me, make.it small make it small, I didn't listen and now pay for it lol. Good luck mate.

Ok, Googe you have identified a part of your still that pisses you off..rework it, dont put up with it.
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby rustee » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:03 am

thanks for the input guys. Before I go making any major alts I will take bt1 advice and get some clear tube so I can see what flow rates are happening for different valve positions.
rustee

equipment: 3" - 4 Plate Bubbler
Offset head 2" LM column still
50L keg boiler on gas

Postby bt1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:25 pm

Guys,

Rustee let us know cos nothing like these head teasers... gets one thinking

googe / jay...
i've just finished a small 4" only 65mm i call it a TC...tuna can/ tiny condenser as a RC lol...
let me see how it goes and I'll post some results..hopefully it does the job and we can all benefit.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby rustee » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:10 pm

OK heres the deal. I got some clear hoses and did a bit of investigation. It appears that when the valve to the drain is open, there is not enough back pressure to push water through the other partially open valve and through the RC to the outlet junction. If i close off the valve to the drain completely and have everything running through the RC i can control flow rates from a "horse piss" right down to a "mouse piss". My question is - will the "mouse piss" be enough to knock down everything finding its way to the PC?? If so the drain valve is not really needed, unless your trying to tear through tails collection.
rustee

50L keg boiler on gas

Postby tickle » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:41 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: will it? Moslt likley. But putting the valves back in so you have total control. Might make you happier in the long run. Bit of a control freak here thought. Its a stellar build, you will be happy no matter what,
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Postby emptyglass » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:52 pm

A "horse piss" is what you want to knock it all down. You might use a bit less than that once you get it de-bugged, but full reflux requires a bit of flow.
A "mouse piss" will possibly be where you want it for collecting.
emptyglass

Postby rustee » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:03 pm

WineGlass wrote:A "horse piss" is what you want to knock it all down. You might use a bit less than that once you get it de-bugged, but full reflux requires a bit of flow.
A "mouse piss" will possibly be where you want it for collecting.

Thanks EG i was asking if the mouse piss flow through the PC would be enough to condense product. This design should work its pretty much the same as whats in the compleat distiller (p57) just that ive used ball valves and not gate valves - which might be the overriding issue.

Im gonna do another practice run on the weekend paying careful attention to how the valves effect the run.

I pretty much went with this design because i wanted a single inlet and single outlet. What sort of system are you guys using for cooling?
rustee

50L keg boiler on gas

Postby emptyglass » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:16 pm

Yes, a mouse piss will condense product, but not all of it.
You've got 2 main stages of a run, the first bit where you need all of it condensed, the next bit where you are collecting only requires some reflux- a mouse piss does this bit.

I run ball valves, they are sensative, only need a few mm at the end of the handle to make a difference, but they work fine. I run 2 drains, as this way you can monitor the output of the RC, via the drain hose attatched to it. The drain from the PC is needed, but it dosn't have to be monitored.
I run both drains into a collector, then into the cooling system.

All you need is a way to check how much flow is going through the RC. You could use a flow meter and keep the system closed, or any other way you see feasable.

Once I get a feel for the still, I can pretty much set the valve and forget it, but it can take a few runs to find the setting.

Edit; Mac runs a pretty slick system with a single valve.
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:26 pm

Here's Rustee's vids :handgestures-thumbupleft:

MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby rustee » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:59 pm

Hey - thanks MacStill :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rustee

50L keg boiler on gas

Postby MacStill » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:02 pm

it took a while but we got there :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby googe » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:12 pm

That's a ripper little bubbler!! :handgestures-thumbupleft: I can't see the second vid?. Was gunna ask if you sorted the coolent line issues you were having but don't know if it's in the second bid?.
googe

Postby MacStill » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:21 pm

googe wrote: I can't see the second vid?.

Something wrong with your eyes ?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby googe » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:32 pm

MacStill wrote:
googe wrote: I can't see the second vid?.

Something wrong with your eyes ?

Nope :-B
googe

Postby rustee » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:21 am

googe wrote:That's a ripper little bubbler!! :handgestures-thumbupleft: I can't see the second vid?. Was gunna ask if you sorted the coolent line issues you were having but don't know if it's in the second bid?.

Thanks googe im pretty happy with the outcome. Re the cooling, I fixed the issue I had by having two separate outlet lines instead of them merging into one. I found that there wasn't enough pressure coming from the rc outlet for it to flow with a merged setup. All good just another hose and a few alts to the hard lines :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hoping to do a feints run soon. Will post results after this.

Also a big thankyou to all of the people who have provided input and advice throughout this build. :clap: :text-thankyoublue:
Last edited by rustee on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
rustee

50L keg boiler on gas

Postby bt1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:25 am

Good news!

a fine result here
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby rustee » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:05 am

OK heres how the run went. Gas on 2.44pm plates loaded 3.08pm. Held in full reflux for 22 minutes before collection started. You will notice a slight drop in the ABV at the 35minute mark. This was due to a slight cooling line problem. 8-} Refluxed again until plates fully loaded and then started to pull product again. I was amazed how much product this thing pulled. I started with a 12L charge of 40% feints, which puts it at about 4.8L of 100% alchohol total and i pulled about 4.4L out at about 90%. Doesnt leave much in the boiler. Cant wait to do a run with the UJSSM ive got down at the moment. Initially the Dephlag was pretty slow to react. i think it took about 2minutes after making changes to when i seen product appear in the parrot. Should have listened to BT and made a shorter RC. Something i will remedy later on. All in all i am pretty bloody happy with this little rig. Just need to give it a name now and am open for suggestions. :happy-partydance:

feints run.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rustee

50L keg boiler on gas

Postby JayD » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:17 am

rustee wrote: shorter RC. Something i will remedy later on. All in all i am pretty bloody happy with this little rig. Just need to give it a name now and am open for suggestions. :happy-partydance:

PeeWee came straight to my mind, be buggared if I know why? ;-)
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills