Bushy's Bubbler Build

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Bushy's Bubbler Build

Postby googe » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Good stuff mate, looks nice :handgestures-thumbupleft: . Is it around 95%?. if you think your happy now, wait till you taste the finished product, I still cream my shorts every time I have a rum from mine :laughing-rolling: . What sort of pee trap did you do?. The one I did was simple. It's amazing how.little water they use hey!!.
googe

Postby Bushy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Cheers Googe.
Yeah mate she's sorta stabilized at 95.
Is that where I want it? Could cut the flow to the RC, which seems to be workin beautifully, and get the percentage down.
or what????
Fuckit, i've read Macs runnin post a heap of times too.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Camikaze » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:20 pm

Bushy wrote:
Oh and thanks Cama. You poor bastard. :-D

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby googe » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:08 pm

95% sounds good mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: . I'd leave it alone if it's plodding along happy and your abv is stable. That's how I do mine from Mac telling me, I don't have a thermo or windows so run it off the ABV, output. Most here like a toothpick size stream. it's a bit confusing doing the first run cause ya don't know how things are ment to be happening hey lol. Sounds like your doing well. Good luck mate .
googe

Postby Bushy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:40 pm

Done my first run.
50 litres of Macs bourbon K.O. Only been puttin in 6 kilo of raw sugar. Got all the plates loaded.
Looks like my fears of a dodgy j trap were unfounded cos the bottom plate loade up well.
2013-03-22_12-52-22_594.jpg

Let it stack for half hour then bumped the flow down on the RC, which is a fkn winner, and started to get drips.
1.10 - Trickle starts
1.30 - 1 full pint of fores and heads 96%
1.35 - hearts put their hand up.
1.47 - 1 full pint of the cleanest alcohol I have ever tasted 95%
2.02 - same again
2.07 - Hello tails. Turned off RC and lettin it run into feints demi.
Run done
Can't believe the flavour of those two pints.

Next run will be next week. Goin to put a TPW through.
I been thinking about the rock section. Don't think I want rocks above my beautiful plates. I noticed when I ran a wash that wouldn't finish through my little column, it puked a bit and coughed sediment in to me cuts jar. Admittedly I never boiled the rocks or anything, but sediment on the plates could be bad. So under the column they go.
Made up the basket and cooler extension this mornin.
2013-03-22_14-14-13_664.jpg

2013-03-22_14-21-10_119.jpg

We'll see how she goes.

Drink on

Bushy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bushy

Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Brendan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:46 pm

I like the shine you've put on her Bushy :handgestures-thumbupleft:

That's how a still should look...can't stand the rustic, just been soldered look with heat patches everywhere...just looks like a dirty illegal moonshine operation :roll:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby emptyglass » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Good stuff mate.
You could always pack the section with structured copper packing. Either way, you should get a few more plates worth of value out of it.
emptyglass

Postby SBB » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:07 pm

Bushy wrote:1 full pint of the cleanest alcohol I have ever tasted 95%
Bushy wrote:Can't believe the flavour of those two pints.

Good stuff isnt it , I can never resist a couple of samples mid run. White Rum straight of the still with Coke :D
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Bushy's Bubbler Build

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:16 pm

What the hell is a pint brother? Speak metric I beg you;-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:57 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:

What the hell is a pint brother? Speak metric I beg you;-)

Well I'm a kinda old fart .(47)But I remember pints of milk being delivered by the milko .( in glass bottles,It was my job to put the tokens out :laughing-rolling: )

Pretty sure they were 600ml

But BB you just struck a chord with me as I was just thinking today '"Thank fuck for Aussie distiller " all the measurements are metric ( apart from the copper pipe dimensions ,but we can handle that 8-) .Used to shit me to tears on HD all that Fahrenheit talk and then mixing Liters and ounces in the same sentence .

No offense Bushy just gang bangin you on this one :violence-smack:

Its just a personal crisis thing as the first year I went to school they changed from imperial to metric half way through the year. Its scared me for life ~x(
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby emptyglass » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:10 pm

Pints or litres, I dont care, its probably the best stuff bushy's made.

You just have to remember to say "stomache, your drinking imperial tonight".
Sure beats the shit out of 700ml at a time.
emptyglass

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:42 pm

Yeah Empty ,in the bigger picture you are right .

Bushy I really like those 3" Sight glasses.Those shots with levels of fluid and bubbles on top were inspiring . :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You're go get it done attitude were also a kick up the ass .I've had nearly everything I need to do one of these for several months and I'm still procrastinating.

Enjoy the hooch
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Bushy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:04 pm

A pint is a pretty standard drink size guys. I just happen to have a box full o the bastads.
The milk bottle size I had to get was a quart. Milk sizes didn't go metric for a while. Prbably had too many bottles.
Two pints was a quart.
I don't know, I'm a bit fucked up with me measurements. Did me time with me ol man. He'd say got out and cut 18 " of 50 by 1/4. K dad. So the old and new are on the same tape and they go together. It's cool though because if i'm measurin somethin and it's on 18 inches exact its easier than the metric equivalent.

EG. Structured copper packing? I thought u were a rock fan. I'm tryin the rock. May have to insulate that section. Bloody things a six footer with that on or 183 cm for the nerds.

Yummy. You kick some arse brother. Plan yr build and hook into it. Humbling though to hear that I may be providing some inspiration. :oops:

Eightball time at the Bushy Barn

Salute

Bushy
Bushy

Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby MacStill » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:35 pm

Insulate the rock section Bushy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby emptyglass » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:40 am

Bushy wrote:EG. Structured copper packing? I thought u were a rock fan. I'm tryin the rock. May have to insulate that section. Bloody things a six footer with that on or 183 cm for the nerds.

I am.
Just trying to understand why you are worring about a bit of rock dust on the plates. It will wash down to the boiler if the rock is dirty, it won't go into the bottle.
And the still is meant to make a drink, not be a polished copper ornament. Its hard to look at the beast that you made and dirty it all up, but if you rinse the rock well it wont be a prob.
Besides that, it will get its own funny looking coating (patina) in time. It wont stay shiny inside.
Although, I dont have a problem with shiny things.

And if you price up some copper packing, its more expensive than a set of new plates. So it was a bit of a loaded question. My bad.
emptyglass

Postby waza » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:59 am

:D
Brendan wrote:I like the shine you've put on her Bushy :handgestures-thumbupleft:

That's how a still should look...can't stand the rustic, just been soldered look with heat patches everywhere...just looks like a dirty illegal moonshine operation :roll:

I dont mind the shinny ones, but I do like the rustic ones, kinda equate them to Rat Rods in the hot rod world. :D
waza

equipment: still looking.

Postby Bushy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:11 am

Your bad?
Sorry to have made you feel that way bloke.
Wasn't so much the polish of the plates i was worried about. They only copped a wire brush. I was worried that the sediment may block the perf holes.
That, and something BT said about packed section overrefluxing for the plates drain ability, has led me to put the packed section underneath.
I reckon it will work. It's a 700 long section. So there should be a fair amount of scrubbing before it gets to the plates. The plates fraction it off. Voila! Clean neutral.
I'm gonna try it anyways. Will get back on the results.

Oh by the way. The shiny part of the still has already gone from pink to this fkn beautiful gold color. Can't wait till it turns brown and I can stop lookin at it. ;-)
Bushy

Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby SBB » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:11 am

Bushy wrote:That, and something BT said about packed section overrefluxing for the plates drain ability,

Maybe im misunderstanding this, but how can there be any more reflux to cope with from the rock, than there is when your on full reflux without the rock??......everything copes ok then.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:14 am

SBB wrote:
Bushy wrote:That, and something BT said about packed section overrefluxing for the plates drain ability,

Maybe im misunderstanding this, but how can there be any more reflux to cope with from the rock, than there is when your on full reflux without the rock??......everything copes ok then.

I agree with SBB here :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If your plates are flooding you have a problem with your downcomers, not the amount of reflux your getting ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Bushy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:44 am

Yeah ok. The little light has turned on. Based on the amount of vapour produced by my 2400 watt boiler, my plates handle full reflux. The rock section shouldn't alter that.
Wonder what bt did that caused flooding?
Bushy

Lava Rock Behemoth

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills