bubbler on the cheap

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

bubbler on the cheap

Postby googe » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:06 am

Hey all, talking to phil earlier got me thinking, don't know if this is a good idea or not but was wondering if we could share ideas to make bubbler building as cheap as possible for people thinking about doing it but are scared of costs. For me it didn't cost much cause I used alot of scrap and did alot of leg work finding cheap parts, didn't use a thermo or parrot yet and am happy with my results. Little things like that bring costs down.
googe

Re: bubbler on the cheap

Postby Linny » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:52 am

Yeah , i havent gone sight glasses.... i can always modify a few modules if i had to.... Im like you, think ive spent the following

-Scrap Copper (4" and 2.5" lengths) $80
-Bunnings copper (1x 3/4", 2x 1/2") $40
-Solder (1x benzo, 1x Aqua solder, 1x bakers fluid) $80
-Butane gas (2x cans) $20
-brass fittings/valve (1x valve,4x 20mm compression) $28
-Reducers and Elbows from Eagle Plumbing $81
(2x2.5" Elbows, 100mm-64mm reducer, 100mm coupling, 64-50mm reducer)
-Triclamps and seals and 4" ferrule (6x4",1x2") $120

Approx Total $450

Ive been Lucky for that fact that 2.5" tri-clamps are hard to find and Brendan Helped me out with some 2" pipe. Kelby got me onto our local Scrap yards and my next door neighbour is a boiler which meant i didnt have to worry about tools etc.
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

bubbler on the cheap

Postby Sam. » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:11 am

You could always do a write up for the newbies corner.

But don't forget to include the safety issues of using scrap copper and what can be done to make sure it is clean.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Brendan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:10 am

The best part about going modular is that when you use scrap copper, you can easily get your hand in the pieces to sand layers back, leaving you with nice new copper :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Any longer tube in contact with the product (ie. vapour tubes in condensers), I would always go new. They're small anyway, so they're cheap. But if you can find 4" copper at the scrapyard, cut it up and sand it back to new! :D
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby googe » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:15 pm

Good idea Sam, go for it Linny :laughing-rolling: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Making your own flanges are alot cheaper than buying Ferrule clamps.
There are many ways to make the reflux and product condensers, they don't need to be standard size or follow any written rules as to pipe sizes, if you have got only a certain size pipe and it doesn't suit the sizes you've read about, ask and someone will inform you if it would be ok to use.
googe

Return to Plated Column Stills