The Backyard Bubbler run #1

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: The Backyard Bubbler run #1

Postby 1 2many » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:33 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:
WineGlass wrote:I agree with Mac, you are going to want more than 2400w, but not much more.
You could possibly get away with 3600w, but its going to run hard. Just saying, as you may be able to swap one of your elements for a 3600watt as a stop gap till you get a controller.

Then you'll see the magic of perf plates when it just stops at the tails. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Well done on the first run BB, the first of many.

Thanks empty. It was amazing seeing plates load and bubble and deliver spirit just like in your videos. As you watch it refluxing and redistlling and rising and falling its almost hypnotic. You really appreciate the journey the spirit takes.

Many times I nodded and went "oh that's good!".

Stop it i am getting exited , i want to see it, the bubbles in the window :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby MacStill » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:35 pm

1 2many wrote:
Stop it i am getting exited , i want to see it, the bubbles in the window :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

P5062036.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:38 pm

1 2many - watch mac & empty's videos. You will have a bubbler chubby.

The great thing is that after all the vids and pix I've seen I could easily tell when it was close to working. Even without all the plates perfect you could say "yep...that's a bubbler with the perforated plates working Nd the down comers working " so watch all the vids here and read Mac's instructions and you'll see the dance of the alcohol fairies!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby 1 2many » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:40 pm

Ask and ye will receive thanks mac nice pic , it would be really cool to see it live as in moving :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby MacStill » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:42 pm

1 2many wrote:Ask and ye will receive thanks mac nice pic , it would be really cool to see it live as in moving :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:44 pm

1 2many wrote:Ask and ye will receive thanks mac nice pic , it would be really cool to see it live as in moving :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I promise I will video and post my next run. Try this from empty glass: EG's bubbler vids
Last edited by MacStill on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed the linky thingy
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:46 pm

MacStill wrote:

:teasing-neener:

Yeah this...this will give you bubbler lust. And don't load Mac's candy pot still thread. That will give you pot still lust:-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby 1 2many » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:00 pm

Mate , Mate that was beautiful :clap: :clap: , I am going to have one of those. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby emptyglass » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:12 pm

1 2many wrote:Mate , Mate that was beautiful :clap: :clap: , I am going to have one of those. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The bubbler bug has another happy victim.
emptyglass

Postby 1 2many » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:26 pm

Make no mistake EG I have the bubbler bug. :D
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:35 pm

I did a test of my 750w water pump today in my 1000L tank. All good, the pump punches out water at far better than the garden tap and there's no waste.

I'm so addicted I'm doing another half bubble half pot run tomorrow on the next 40L fig wash. I hope by throwing more recycled water at the reflux I can get a better run ahead of the voltage controller arriving.

I'm now 75% convinced the fig wash is rubbish but there is a lot of booze in it. Having filtered all the scraps I guess at least 12-15% so I'm gunna bash through another hybrid HOT run tomorrow and see what I get.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills