Baking sheet silicone seals

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Baking sheet silicone seals

Postby Brendan » Fri May 10, 2013 8:31 pm

Yeah they're good mate.

The silicone is a worry because so many people use them, and just bury their heads in the sand...but the effect really is serious...

It's definitely made me look for an alternative before I do my first drinking run...I wonder if wrapping silicone seals in PTFE tape would have any benefit? :think:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby blond.chap » Fri May 10, 2013 9:37 pm

Good experiment mate, id be very interested in seeing how the silicone behaves in foreshots, I don't think it's near 100% acetone, but it is a lot hotter. I've got some of my seals wrapped in ptfe, so I might do the rest after this.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Brendan » Fri May 10, 2013 9:59 pm

blond.chap wrote:Good experiment mate, id be very interested in seeing how the silicone behaves in foreshots, I don't think it's near 100% acetone, but it is a lot hotter. I've got some of my seals wrapped in ptfe, so I might do the rest after this.

I should be doing my sacrificial alcohol cleaning run tomorrow afternoon, which i'll keep the foreshots from and test it overnight...if it does have a similar result, I was thinking that a silicon seal well wrapped in PTFE tape should be okay? I mean the compounds/vapours don't absorb into it, so it would be like an everlasting gasket (that last for fuck all), but with a silicone base inside for the flexibility...
Brendan

Postby rustee » Tue May 14, 2013 10:06 am

Nice post Brendan. I would be interested in the results from soaking in foreshots. Maybe presoaking in acetone might be an option too if you don't want to wrap in Teflon tape? :think:
rustee

equipment: 3" - 4 Plate Bubbler
Offset head 2" LM column still
50L keg boiler on gas

Postby Brendan » Tue May 14, 2013 10:11 am

Rustee, it's funny that you came on now and saw this...

I took a glass of foreshots last night from the TPW run yesterday, and soaked a big piece of the red silicon baking sheets overnight...and this morning, NOTHING! :happy-partydance:

The foreshots were clear as water after about 12 hours, so I'm feeling a lot better about their use now :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I can only assume that foreshots don't contain a high percentage of acetone, which would seem contradictory to the smell...or industrial acetone is just a whole mother nasty compound that differs to what we produce in our fermentations...? :think:
Brendan

Postby blond.chap » Tue May 14, 2013 10:19 am

Brendan wrote:I can only assume that foreshots don't contain a high percentage of acetone, which would seem contradictory to the smell...or industrial acetone is just a whole mother nasty compound that differs to what we produce in our fermentations...? :think:

That's a little more comforting.

It may well be that there isn't a whole lot of acetone in there, foreshots are probably mainly ethanol with a small component acetone.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby crow » Tue May 14, 2013 2:32 pm

yes for certain fores are not 100% acetone or even anything like it , it is a mix of compounds most likely methanol making up the majority but that would the compound would vary greatly from wash to wash. This thread is a timely reminder that I have some great charts on my lappy but I can't post them in there present form (might have to harass the nephew to help with this)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bt1 » Tue May 14, 2013 4:33 pm

yeh good news!

I'm 8 runs in on new seals and can't see any effect. happy!

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills