BareKnuckles' 2 Plate Dragon Hybrid(Sir Stillsalot)

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

BareKnuckles' 2 Plate Dragon Hybrid(Sir Stillsalot)

Postby BareKnuckles » Thu May 09, 2013 1:39 pm

Thought I would throw up a photo of my 2 plate dragon hybrid....2 - 4: SD bubble T's in 19" of copper mesh packed copper... Thanks for looking....
20130426_172336.jpg

-BK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BareKnuckles

equipment: 2 Plate 4" into 2" Hybrid

Re: BareKnuckles' 2 Plate Dragon Hybrid(Sir Stillsalot)

Postby blond.chap » Thu May 09, 2013 1:43 pm

Very nice, do you find that the 2" packed section limits the output rate?

I particularly like that you just have a 2" RC, how much heat do you feed to the boiler?
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby crow » Thu May 09, 2013 1:44 pm

nice looking setup you got there mate . did you do the copper work your self and have you done a run with it yet
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Thu May 09, 2013 2:00 pm

Nice mate, I.always thought it had 3 plates when I seen it on MD, what's the 3rd sightglass for and can you put an extra.plate in if you wanted?. Good work.
googe

Postby BareKnuckles » Thu May 09, 2013 2:10 pm

blond.chap wrote:Very nice, do you find that the 2" packed section limits the output rate?

I particularly like that you just have a 2" RC, how much heat do you feed to the boiler?

Thanks m8...That's the short RC, I have a longer one for more reflux as well. I run on propane for now so I'm not sure the amount of heat. I kind of run by feel, smell and taste( and watching the SG's and parrot ). I can't say I've had output issues with the 2" packed sections but I have nothing to compare it to other than using a section with no packing. I have a couple of copper sections that I can change out for different products.

crow wrote:nice looking setup you got there mate . did you do the copper work your self and have you done a run with it yet

Thanks man... I do all of my own copper work. I have an interesting method of installing the stainless ferrules. I submerge them in liquid nitrogen for a couple of seconds and slide it in the copper. A few seconds later it's tighter than Dick's hatband... ;-) I've got 6 or 7 runs in with it in this configuration and a couple others...
googe wrote:Nice mate, I.always thought it had 3 plates when I seen it on MD, what's the 3rd sightglass for and can you put an extra.plate in if you wanted?. Good work.

Waiting on the 3rd plate to come in. I'll slip it right in there.... That's what the top glass is for... I can also see the reflux coming from the packed section.

-BK
BareKnuckles

Postby Brendan » Thu May 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Nice setup BK :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I like your method of inserting the stainless ferrules too.

You've got some thick cooling hoses going on there, you could push a fair amount of water through them! :o
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby googe » Thu May 09, 2013 7:22 pm

What sort of plates are you running?.
googe

Postby BareKnuckles » Thu May 09, 2013 11:18 pm

Thanks guys... No water issues...LOL My whole cooling system is always under construction... See statement below.
Googe, they are the SD bubble caps and downcomer. Nothing fancy... I have some Ideas bouncing around in me noggin about a new perf-plate build...We'll see.

I'm the type of feller that can't leave well enough alone :scared-eek:

-BK
BareKnuckles

Return to Plated Column Stills