4" plated column. Stainless vs Copper

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

4" plated column. Stainless vs Copper

Postby Potmash Boka » Sun May 12, 2013 5:31 pm

G'day all, finalised the drawings for my build, but as 4" copper is scarce in Darwin I have been thinking of doing the main body of the column in staino and putting copper plates in between. Mainly because I can easily get staino up here and I can TIG the whole thing. Fixed four plate bottom with two additional separate plates to go above also a packed column and a gin basket.
What are the brains trusts thoughts?
Cheers
Potmash Boka

equipment: 2" pot and 4" thumper, 4" pot, 2" SS reflux, 2.5" Boka. 4" 5 plate bubbler( almost done, need to some bits and to make the column round again). SS boiler, 80L keg, 50L keg and a 30L keg boilers.
Various pieces of copper pipe laying around for future experiments.

Re: 4" plated column. Stainless vs Copper

Postby googe » Sun May 12, 2013 5:37 pm

Are you doing it module?, you would have to to be able to weld 4 fixed plates in wouldn't you?, and.what sort of plates? . What would the top plates be?, slip in perf or bubble caps?. More info would help the experts know how to help :handgestures-thumbupleft: .
googe

Postby blond.chap » Sun May 12, 2013 6:37 pm

Hey mate, nothing wrong with using stainless for the main body as long as you have some copper (just the plates seems to be enough). Have a look at the plated column designs in the plated section of the forum. You're probably best off using the "plates on a thread" method rather than welding them in. Something like blue's build here:
http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2945&p=46279&hilit=tree#p46279
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby bt1 » Sun May 12, 2013 7:03 pm

Howdy,

straight up 4 -5 plates seems to the norm so no issues having fixed plates below and a couple of modular plate sections above.

I"ve not heard anything definitive on plate types perf vs. bubble, perf being easier and lower cost, providing the copper you'll need in a SS column imho.

On the issue of plate tree vs. a tig'd plate I'd go tig'd purely for the fact a plate tree weeps down the column walls until the patina heels the minuscule gaps... solid edge to edge plates do have a advantage in terms of heating and product imho. Struggling with how this would be done other than tigging sections = modular in the first place?

Re the packed section for neutrals, just made sure it's removable and flanged for ease for when it's not needed.

The design outline suggests mixed drink prefs... suggest focusing on what's important and best effort for the others.... compromise rarely brings satisfaction.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Potmash Boka » Sun May 12, 2013 7:47 pm

I think I need to clarify, stainless body with a small internal lip for copper perf plates to seal on. Make the bottom 4 or main column a set of four copper perf plates bolted down the centre with brass booka rod.then a further two segments that can be bolted with triclamps. The rest the usual all with flanges. :happy-partydance:
Edit. I prefer molasses rum and all grain whisky.
Potmash Boka

equipment: 2" pot and 4" thumper, 4" pot, 2" SS reflux, 2.5" Boka. 4" 5 plate bubbler( almost done, need to some bits and to make the column round again). SS boiler, 80L keg, 50L keg and a 30L keg boilers.

Postby googe » Sun May 12, 2013 7:55 pm

To clarify, you would have a single lip at the base of the column, that the bottom plate of a 4 plate tree sits on, is the lip on the bottom plate only or all of them?with 2 single modules above that, then gin/packed column above that.
googe

Postby Linno » Sun May 12, 2013 8:57 pm

Gday PB

if you can weld these materials i would do away with 'the main column' idea. if you are going to make the packed section and basket adaptable with ferrulles and triclamps them you may as well make the whole lot like this. a couple of reasons...

1. it is easy to clamp your plates between the sections ( i have a modular staino FSD bubbler and this is very easy way to clamp in the plates, cap or perf, i have cap). this also gets rid of your brass rod - i think there is some debate about using brass in the vapour/liquid path.

2. you can change the plate qty for your runs - esp rum where you may want less plates for more flavour.

there is also more benefit for cleaning and storage.. just throwin a couple ideas out there for you.

cheers
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby MacStill » Sun May 12, 2013 9:00 pm

:text-+1: :text-imwithstupid:

And as seen in one of the Docs vids you can pull the modular SS system apart and chuck it in ya mrs dish washer :D

He's a braver man than me, but I love the idea :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bt1 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:22 am

Howdy Pot,

sounds good, why not. Do me a fave and flick the brass rod and use either 304(Industrial grade) or 316 SS(marine grade) rod & SS nuts....no possible safety issues then.
The drink choices would really suit this as there's not a lot between the different needs....you've done the homework..

Clearly your a good welder and I for one would be keen to see how you go about this one, especially the lip for the plates.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Potmash Boka » Mon May 13, 2013 10:06 pm

Here's how to put the plates in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Potmash Boka

Return to Plated Column Stills