Flat out - the 3" semi modular plate build

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Postby Goanna » Wed May 29, 2013 6:55 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369817703.337323.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Goanna

equipment: 2.5'x2" Keggomax CM Reflux Still
2200W element in 50L Beer Keg Boiler
2x30l & 50l Fermentor

Re: Flat out - the 3" semi modular plate build

Postby Goanna » Wed May 29, 2013 6:59 pm

Well there you go, May 12 till 1:00 am May 29. It seem like a lot longer than that.

Stand by for build pics and noob to noob tips.
Goanna

2x30l & 50l Fermentor

Postby Goanna » Wed May 29, 2013 7:19 pm

I fired "The Mistress" up for the first time last night. She was very cold to start with but warmed up slowly, I lavished all sorts of attention on her, paying attention to her every move and mood. Complimenting her on how beautiful she looked with her lovely copper complexion and the occasional flash of pink. Gradually the heat within her started to rise and I am sure she was teasing me all the way even though she pretended to be 'all innocent'.

There was a lot of steam and fogginess to start with and I wondered if it would ever happen, then one by one her lenses cleared. Moist patches appeared to start with, which got wetter and wetter until she started flooding on 3 out of her four plates. Was it really going to happen?

Then slowly but surely she started to flow. Just a trickle at first but then a steady stream.

There was a lot of awkward handling of pipes, levers and knobs as I tried clumsily to find her sweet spot. But then after a couple of false starts and stops it happened.

500 mls of 93.5%.

Once she started it just kept coming and coming.

Completely satisfied, exhausted and mystified I pulled the plug, slapped her on the boiler and said "That's it, I'm stuffed, time for bed. See you tomorrow night?" ;-)
Goanna

2x30l & 50l Fermentor

Postby Gas on » Wed May 29, 2013 7:32 pm

Nice work there Goanna :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Its a great feeling when you get your first bubbler up & running. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wont be long now,I bet you'll be making a bigger bubbler. The bug bites! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sweet avatar you got their... do you want a swap? :)) :))
Gas on

equipment: baked beans & rum

arfa 5 star bubbler

Postby Dominator » Wed May 29, 2013 7:49 pm

Goanna wrote:I fired "The Mistress" up for the first time last night. She was very cold to start with but warmed up slowly, I lavished all sorts of attention on her, paying attention to her every move and mood. Complimenting her on how beautiful she looked with her lovely copper complexion and the occasional flash of pink. Gradually the heat within her started to rise and I am sure she was teasing me all the way even though she pretended to be 'all innocent'.

There was a lot of steam and fogginess to start with and I wondered if it would ever happen, then one by one her lenses cleared. Moist patches appeared to start with, which got wetter and wetter until she started flooding on 3 out of her four plates. Was it really going to happen?

Then slowly but surely she started to flow. Just a trickle at first but then a steady stream.

There was a lot of awkward handling of pipes, levers and knobs as I tried clumsily to find her sweet spot. But then after a couple of false starts and stops it happened.

500 mls of 93.5%.

Completely satisfied, exhausted and mystified I pulled the plug, slapped her on the boiler and said "That's it, I'm stuffed, time for bed. See you tomorrow night?" ;-)

Is it just me, or did any one else get all hot and bothered reading this?
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Sam. » Wed May 29, 2013 8:30 pm

It was like reading a "Distillers People" :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby db1979 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:51 pm

Goanna wrote:I fired "The Mistress" up for the first time last night. She was very cold to start with but warmed up slowly, I lavished all sorts of attention on her, paying attention to her every move and mood. Complimenting her on how beautiful she looked with her lovely copper complexion and the occasional flash of pink. Gradually the heat within her started to rise and I am sure she was teasing me all the way even though she pretended to be 'all innocent'.

500 mls of 93.5%.

I'm sure there's a law against that! :think: :))
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Re: Flat out - the 3

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:49 pm

Goanna wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369817703.337323.jpg

Looks good so if you get 93 % what will more plates and a scoria packed section give
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills