Daves 5 plate McMagic

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Daves 5 plate McMagic

Postby MacStill » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:13 pm

So hows that rum going ?

You getting the hang of it yet with the new still ?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby DaveZ » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:38 pm

Rum's run 'n' done and airing in jars overnight, 3/4 of the way through a neutral run now and then I'm shit of ferments :crying-blue:

I'm not sure what the rum is going to turn out like, smells pretty rank to me but I'm not really a rum drinker. Guess I'll pick the best out of it and age it for a while and see how it turns out.

2nd gen BWKO is already bubbling away and 3rd gen McRum won't be far behind :happy-partydance:

Loving the new bit of gear Mac, bit of a learning curve but I think I'm on it. Puked the rum wash this morning which was interesting to say the least :scared-eek: Watching that brown shit rocket up the column as I ran for the switch :laughing-rolling: A little dash of olive oil and all was good again.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Daves 5 plate McMagic

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:19 pm

Good work on the run marathon. I did three back to back to back yesterday of about 100L of MtnMoonshiner's corn/apple/pear/raisin whisky recipe.

Sounds like you've stocked up the shelves.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby MacStill » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:32 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:I did three back to back to back yesterday of about 100L

I done 1 run of almost 80L in just on 4 hours with feints added today, I'm exhausted :laughing-rolling:

:teasing-tease:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Daves 5 plate McMagic

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:04 am

MacStill wrote:
BackyardBrewer wrote:I did three back to back to back yesterday of about 100L

I done 1 run of almost 80L in just on 4 hours with feints added today, I'm exhausted :laughing-rolling:

:teasing-tease:

Jealous again! Time to measure my shed roof I reckon...surely I can fit an 8" column on a 220L boiler out there?
:-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby DaveZ » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:20 am

BackyardBrewer wrote:Good work on the run marathon. I did three back to back to back yesterday of about 100L of MtnMoonshiner's corn/apple/pear/raisin whisky recipe.
Sounds like you've stocked up the shelves.

It was a bit of a marathon, but had to be done, got my sister coming to visit tomorrow :scared-eek: She's a non-drinking, goodie two shoes who doesn't even approve of me drinking, let alone having a full on brewery going in my kitchen :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Lucky I live in the middle of nowhere and she don't visit often.

Anyway, will attempt the cuts on the rum run soon, I think it smells a fair bit better than it did straight off the still, but we'll see. I'm coming down with a cold so my nose aint 100%.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby DaveZ » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:19 pm

Don't know if I screwed the rum wash up somewhere, but that shit smells terrible. I only ended up keeping about 1.8 litres @ 65% to age on charred oak. Give it some time and see I guess. At this rate I'll have enough feints by the end of the day to do a feints run :roll:
DaveZ

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:34 pm

Waste not want not Dave :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby SBB » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:36 pm

Dave send me a litre from the middle of the run, you keep the 0.8. Ill let ya know how bad ya screwed up :D
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby DaveZ » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:19 pm

Hahaha so I'm guessing it stands a chance of improving then. I really only kept the best of what came out with maybe a tiny bit of the tails. See how it goes, I'm a patient man
DaveZ

Postby SBB » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:02 pm

dave just bung a bit , a real little bit if its still 90ish abv in a glass n taste with coke, report back.....lol.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills