How does a plated column design work?

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Postby 5 o'clock » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:38 am

To all of the plated column still experts...

I have been trying to find a single thread about plated column theory but can't.

Moderators, If one exists please guide me to it and delete this. Sorry that this will be an essay.

Does a plated column work like a series of thumpers, but with the ability for some liquid to move back down the column through the down comers to improve reflux efficiency?

I could be really wrong but have been struggling to put it all together in my head for a while.

How I understand it follows...

a perforated plate works by allowing vapour to rise through the small holes where it meets a layer of liquid. this transfers heat and reboils the lower boiling temp components in the liquid such that they rise up through the next plate. As such each plate has a higher purity than the one below.

A bubble cap serves a similar purpose to the perforated plate, just in an simpler build method with all steam rising through the centre of the cap and being forced laterally into the liquid rather than moving vertically through it?

Each plate has an open ended down comer pipe sitting above it to allow excess liquid to fall back down to the level below. The bottom of this pipe has a cup which fills with liquid to prevent vapour rising through it.

Do the sight glasses serve any real purpose other than looking really cool? Do you control the reflux coolant flow or heat input based on what you see on the plates? If so what are you looking for?

Am I close to understanding this and if not where am I wrong?

Sorry about the basic questions but as I said I am having trouble getting my head around this. I am not much of a tradesman, my shed is full of half finished projects and my house still has two rooms that I started renovating before I had any of my 4 kids. Wife might be more upset with this but I just point out the room full of half finished patchwork, kids clothes and knitting and we are both silent for a while.

If I start out trying to build one of these I want to know that I am going to be able to finish it. Spending the $$$$ with Mac looks like the most likely path to ensure completion of the project.

Thanks for the help that everyone contributes on the forum guys, I look forward to getting home to do more research on this hobby each night.

Cheers,

5 o'clock (somewhere)
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Re: How does a plated column design work?

Postby newbiboozer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:45 am

I'd also like to know the theory on a plated typy column still. Have never been able to fing anything that explains it well. I do have my take on it but not sure if it is correct but what you have sounds right to me.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Postby blond.chap » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:54 am

Hi mate, this thread explains the theory:
http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3541

Its phrased as an answer to why controlling stills by temperature doesn't work, but should give you a decent idea of the theory.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Dominator » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:05 am

From my understanding of plated columns you have a pretty good idea of how they work. I will add this.

Reflux controls the speed at which you collect product, the same as a normal reflux column. By holding the still in full reflux, the fractions will separate in the column, then you reduce your reflux to take your hooch. Taking product too fast will empty your plates resulting in the still running more like a pot still.

The sight glasses are to monitor the bath level on your plates. This is controlled by both your reflux and your heat input. Too much heat will flood your plates, not enough heat and you wont properly fill your top plate/s.

I believe the general consensus is you only really need the top and bottom sight glasses. Having SG's on all your plates will make it easier to run your still in the beginning, they can also be run with out any SG's at all.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby 5 o'clock » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:16 pm

Thanks for the confirmations guys.

Now I understand how they work, I just need to work out how to get one and hide it and the bank statement in the shed for long enough to say "it isn't new - I've had it for ages"

Cheers,

Richard
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Postby kingy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:55 pm

When you work out how to do that let me know I'm interested!!
kingy

equipment: 4inch modular up to 5 plates and a packed section
50 litre 2x 2400w elements boiler
100 litre E herms brewery with a 130litre gas boiler

Postby Stevem109r » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:03 pm

That's another forum of it own lol

Sent via electronic carrier pigeon :)
Stevem109r
Site Donor

equipment: HBS Reflux
Mac Pot