4" bubbler build.

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

4" bubbler build.

Postby Potmash Boka » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:49 pm

The start of the 4" bubbler. Got 2m of pipe for $180. Work will begin in about a week when I get home. It's going to be a 4 plate tree, then an additional 2 plate section can be added, with a 4" shotgun RC down to 2" 90 elbow into a 2" shotgun PC. Now to message Mac next week for the ferrules and clamps( have to wait for tax to come in). :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Potmash Boka

equipment: 2" pot and 4" thumper, 4" pot, 2" SS reflux, 2.5" Boka. 4" 5 plate bubbler( almost done, need to some bits and to make the column round again). SS boiler, 80L keg, 50L keg and a 30L keg boilers.
Various pieces of copper pipe laying around for future experiments.

Re: 4" bubbler build.

Postby Linny » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:01 pm

Sourcing 4" copper is the hardest part .... its all down hill from here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Potmash Boka » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:52 pm

Ok Guru's, when doing easy flanges how tight do you need the coil wraped? Started doing them today but can't get the coil to stay tight, it likes to spring out a bit , couple of mm. :sad: Is the normal for doing theses or should I tension the lot up and then clamp it to cut for rings? Help please.
Potmash Boka

equipment: 2" pot and 4" thumper, 4" pot, 2" SS reflux, 2.5" Boka. 4" 5 plate bubbler( almost done, need to some bits and to make the column round again). SS boiler, 80L keg, 50L keg and a 30L keg boilers.

Postby MacStill » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:04 pm

When you smack em flat they'll tighten up ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Potmash Boka » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:19 pm

Thanks Mac, I just very interested in how much slack you Pro's leave for the expansion when they flatten. Hopefully tomorrow I get my new TIG so I can flatten them and TIG the inside of the pipe to the flange. Going to solder the outside(top) so they look like their soldered just for the shinny bling factor. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Potmash Boka

Postby MacStill » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:28 pm

Sounds like a lot of fucking around for an easy flange mate, perhaps you should call it the FAF :laughing-rolling:

When you wind the coils they'll spring back a bit, just cut em and they'll fit.... never bothered with measuring the gap.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:47 pm

The gap were ya cut them kinda makes up for the spring, as Macs said they squash up tight when they are flattened.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:04 am

The easiest way to figure this sort of stuff out is to make one up.
That way you know and can adjust all those that follow. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I call the first one "The mule"
It gets all the ideas worked out on it before making the ones you use. :-B

Did that with my sight glass seats.
The first was ok but with problems.... the next five worked well.

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby crow » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:51 am

I just followed the directions in the work bench section. First one I did was perfect and I am far from skilled at sticking copper together. The instructions are spot :handgestures-thumbupleft: on, I did hard solder mine though soft solder not being my forte
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Bushy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:42 pm

MacStill wrote:Sounds like a lot of fucking around for an easy flange mate, perhaps you should call it the FAF :laughing-rolling:

When you wind the coils they'll spring back a bit, just cut em and they'll fit.... never bothered with measuring the gap.

And it's surprising how much gap takes up when you flatten em. If they're too tight before you start they can be a pain in the arse flange.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Potmash Boka » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks for the info guys. The new dilemma is do I go for a 7,8 or 12 tube RC? Going to go 3/4 tube inside the 4" outer.
Bugger it I might make a 7 and 12 just cause I can. :laughing-rolling:
Potmash Boka

Postby MacStill » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:11 pm

Potmash Boka wrote:Thanks for the info guys. The new dilemma is do I go for a 7,8 or 12 tube RC? Going to go 3/4 tube inside the 4" outer.
Bugger it I might make a 7 and 12 just cause I can. :laughing-rolling:

9 x 3/4" tubes in a 4" RC is nice, and works great too :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Potmash Boka » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Might do an 8 and a 9 as well. Test out e different reflux capacity of each. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Potmash Boka

Postby MacStill » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:19 pm

5 is more than enough, you'd be better off testing volume rather than tubes ;-)

ie 5 tubes at 80mm long :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Potmash Boka » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:09 am

What's the general consensus for PC? Length wise. I've seen some guys make them 550 long, I was planning 600 long( already have a piece cut) with a 5 tube bundle.
Comments please.
Potmash Boka

Postby ticknaylor » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:23 pm

Mines 450mm and I have to back if off a liitle to collect. Problem is with ya first build ya go over board trying to make it kickarse but when you run ya column youll realise you overkilled it 600 is way to much in my opinion
ticknaylor

Postby Potmash Boka » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:57 pm

Well I got 2m of 1" and a 6m length of 3/8(10mm) today, I've decided the RC will be 4" diameter 100 mm long with 7 tubes at 1". The PC will be 2" at 600 long with 7 tubes of 10mm, this way I can use it with the pot column or the bubbler. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I've managed to score a 1" needle valve for each condenser for 1l of product when it's built. :dance:
I will post some photos of the condensor's next week as I make them,all going to be TIGed as well.
Potmash Boka

Postby tickle » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:34 am

Hey guys,
With regard to Pc length, I dont think too long is too long if you get my drift...longer will need less coolant flow, and of course there is a point of diminishing returns. Now, reflux condenser length is different....too long is a pain in the ass due to a Kinda flywheels effect...make adjustment,wait for result.....make another adjustment.......wait.....wait....repeat process.....you get the point. Take mac's advise, deal with column. Some guys run the water through the Pc first to preheated it to cut back on the "flywheels" effect. There are lots of ways to deal with it. But, with Pc..longer means less water flow, if consumption is a concern. :teasing-blah:
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Postby Potmash Boka » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Rings are cut for easy flanges, 2" cut tubes and end plates cut, 4" tubes and end plates done. Just have to find the 4" pipe cutter and cut it to length( 100 mm) and then start welding it all up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Potmash Boka

Postby Potmash Boka » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Ok, so I TIGed the end plates onto the RC tube, welded fairly well but needs shitloads of heat to get it to flow. Tacked the tubes in, and was now wondering if I could get away with brazing the tubes with 2% silver rods instead of thevTIG.
Can anyone see any problems with this ie braze in contact with the vapour path.
Potmash Boka

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills