Newbi's bubbler build.

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Newbi's bubbler build.

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:37 am

All I run mate is a single gate valve on the RC and run the water through the PC at full noise,I've seen them set up with valves on both bit I just like to keep it simple so I don't get confused :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease:
Feed in at the bottom and outlet at the top :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby newbiboozer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:45 am

Thanks mate so I'd assume there is no need to run prewarmed water from the PC to the RC then.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:51 pm

Some do,I don't bother,set it up so you can try it both ways :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby newbiboozer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:26 pm

So today I had a few bits on my modules and RC I wanted to reflow the solder so bunged them in the oven for a pre-heat. Come back 20 minutes later n FARK !!!!! Long story short I got the whole lot in pieces again melted all my solder out. Pissed off felt like throwing it all in the bin. Anyway started putting it back together again. Very painful and a lot messier than the first time doesn't seem to fit back together quiet the same. :angry-banghead: ~x( ~x(
newbiboozer

Postby dogbreath vodka » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:32 pm

Ouch.... mate that sucks big time. :handgestures-thumbdown: :handgestures-thumbdown:

Sorry to hear about you re-kitting your still.

Sounds like some late nights ahead.

Chin up, get into it and you'll be back on track in no time.

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Bushy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:47 pm

This is bad. If we had a fuck up of the month competition, you win!
FFS. Heartbreaking. Heavy sigh.
Whack it back together. Gonna be hard to get those branches exact again but it'll still work.
Like ol mate says, chin up.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby JayD » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:52 pm

you have learnt a hard lesson...never leave your work or still unattended as the worse can and will happen given the right circumstances. did you take a picture of the mess ? not to laugh at you but to serve as a reminder to stay on duty when anything is on put up a photo when you put humpy back together again... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby newbiboozer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Yeah its coming back together better than I thought it would but Witt be a lot of sanding and clean up. I'm confident it will come back as good as ever. The Mrs hasn't spotted all the solder in the bottom of the oven yet.

Dunno what I was thinking hey I per heated before in the oven before but only to 200 c this time I had the whole thing in there and wound her up flat knacker. Yeah I'll cop the fuck up of the month status. :angry-banghead:
newbiboozer

Postby newbiboozer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:09 pm

JayD wrote:you have learnt a hard lesson...never leave your work or still unattended as the worse can and will happen given the right circumstances. did you take a picture of the mess ? not to laugh at you but to serve as a reminder to stay on duty when anything is on put up a photo when you put humpy back together again... :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah JD I have learnt a valuable lesson no excuses but didn't think the melting point of solder was that low but like us said I shouldn't have left it unattended is the bottom line. Didn't take any pics I was too passed off at the yime but I'm sure you can imagine a hundred drops of solder in the bottom of the oven and copper bits everywhere. Maybe no one else is that stupid but I hope someone else might learn from my fuck up.
newbiboozer

Postby JayD » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:14 pm

newbiboozer wrote:
JayD wrote:you have learnt a hard lesson...never leave your work or still unattended as the worse can and will happen given the right circumstances. did you take a picture of the mess ? not to laugh at you but to serve as a reminder to stay on duty when anything is on put up a photo when you put humpy back together again... :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah JD I have learnt a valuable lesson no excuses but didn't think the melting point of solder was that low but like us said I shouldn't have left it unattended is the bottom line. Didn't take any pics I was too passed off at the yime but I'm sure you can imagine a hundred drops of solder in the bottom of the oven and copper bits everywhere. Maybe no one else is that stupid but I hope someone else might learn from my fuck up.

Mate dont beat yourself up over this...I have made buggar ups like yours and so has every one else if there man enough to admit it...
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby newbiboozer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi so after the oven episode Humpty Dumpty is all back together again and has an RC to. I'm just battling to seal the joint where the stainless ferrule for the sight glass goes in the front of the module. I have the right flux now and the solder is sticking its just when I get a nice little fillet of solder running that looks good and clean it all falls out the back. Maybe too much heat. Anyway I am back at work today so a few days away from it and I'll have a fresh go on next days off. Been doing a bit on my boiler and element controller as well as I have none of that either. Once I get it sealed its just a PC and a parrot and lots of cleaning up. I don't recommend resolsering the second time it's much messier. Anyway PC should be a piece of piss as the RC was easy even though most seem to say they have drama with it those tees have been the biggest pain in the arse. I got me 60 liters of molasses so better get my finger out n get this thing done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
newbiboozer

Postby Dominator » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:52 pm

Looks awesome mate. Then oven incident would have been heartbreaking. Good to see you got back into it. The PC should be a piece of cake, mine didn't take me too long. What size are you planing for your pc?
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby newbiboozer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:57 pm

Dominator wrote:Looks awesome mate. Then oven incident would have been heartbreaking. Good to see you got back into it. The PC should be a piece of cake, mine didn't take me too long. What size are you planing for your pc?

PC will be 2" and am thinking 450mm long with 5 or 6 x 1/2" tubes. What do you think.
newbiboozer

Postby Dominator » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:11 pm

Yeah should be fine. 5 x 1/2 will be sweet, I think 6 might be a bit tight. I made mine 550 I think, with 7 x 3/8 and it easily knocked down 4800w. Wish I had made it shorter now.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby dogbreath vodka » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:07 pm

Your well on your way now mate.
The finish line is just up ahead.
:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby db1979 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:44 pm

Dominator wrote:Yeah should be fine. 5 x 1/2 will be sweet, I think 6 might be a bit tight. I made mine 550 I think, with 7 x 3/8 and it easily knocked down 4800w. Wish I had made it shorter now.

I got 7 x 1/2" in my 2" RC. Was a bit tight but I wanted to reduce the coolant volume to as low as I could get. Yeah I know we're talking about PCs and not RCs but if 7 is doable than 6 will be easier.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Dominator » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:53 pm

db1979 wrote:
Dominator wrote:Yeah should be fine. 5 x 1/2 will be sweet, I think 6 might be a bit tight. I made mine 550 I think, with 7 x 3/8 and it easily knocked down 4800w. Wish I had made it shorter now.

I got 7 x 1/2" in my 2" RC. Was a bit tight but I wanted to reduce the coolant volume to as low as I could get. Yeah I know we're talking about PCs and not RCs but if 7 is doable than 6 will be easier.

Well, I guess I will eat my words. :angry-banghead: :teasing-nutkick:
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby newbiboozer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:27 pm

Just getting my parrot and vent set up. Can anyone tell me if 1/4 tube is big enough to go from the vent to the parrot tube.
newbiboozer

Postby MacStill » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:14 pm

newbiboozer wrote:Just getting my parrot and vent set up. Can anyone tell me if 1/4 tube is big enough to go from the vent to the parrot tube.

I would go a little bigger mate, let that baby breathe ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby newbiboozer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:39 pm

I've been back into the project after a bit of a slack attack. I have most of it done now just a ton of clean up and build the boiler to go under it but getting close now. I just dummied it up for a look and work out the parrot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
newbiboozer

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills