Dominator's Multicultural Bubbler

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Dominator's Multicultural Bubbler

Postby Dominator » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:26 am

I have only got about 27L in the boiler (50L keg). I heat up on 4800w and once it gets near boiling I cut back to 2400w, I have never had any puking issues running the same way with my 2" pot still. Also, I can see through the sight glass in my fill port that the foam never gets near the bottom of the column. The RC has no problem knocking all the vapour down, I hold it in full reflux for a while to make sure the plates are loaded because I don't have SGs at the moment. It will be interesting to see what happens when I get my new SGs, hopefully it is just a bit of wash in my product.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Dominator » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Now I see why everyone says you have to get a bubbler. I chucked everything from the other day back into the boiler, payed heaps of attention during the heating up to make sure the wash/foam did not reach the top of the boiler, once I could hear the top plate bubbling I left it in full reflux for about 10mins, collected 150ml of fores at about 2 drops a second, then opened her up, heads were all cleared after 500ml and then it was jar after jar of 93% hearts. I had a glass of distillers privilege and while it tasted quite young it is miles infront of my pot stilled counterpart which was barely drinkable off the still.
It has just crept down to about 91.5% so I reckon tails are on the way, still smells good though. Thanks everyone for your help, I can't to try this after some time on oak and I am itching to get a BWKO and TPW on so I can try them too.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby greenguy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:19 pm

Gota be happy with that
Im hanging out for my boiler to get back from the welders running out side in the cold while blowing 40knots sucks :laughing-rolling:
Was 150 mills from a 27 litre charge ??
I all ways take 500ml from a 40ish litre charge may b i take to much as for shots hmmmm meh better to be on the safe side
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Postby Dominator » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:31 pm

greenguy wrote:Gota be happy with that
Im hanging out for my boiler to get back from the welders running out side in the cold while blowing 40knots sucks :laughing-rolling:
I all ways take 500ml from a 40ish litre charge may b i take to much as for shots hmmmm meh better to be on the safe side

Yeah that was for about a 30L charge. To be honest, I really dont think I will reuse heads a feints, the smell so potent and there is only about 500ml so I will probably just chuck those in the container I use to keep my foreshots and I recycle it by adding it to the mower jerry can, use it to clean windows/mirrors, chuck it on the fire to get it started etc.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby Bushy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:34 pm

Dominator wrote:
greenguy wrote:Gota be happy with that

Yeah that was for about a 30L charge. To be honest, I really dont think I will reuse heads a feints, the smell so potent and there is only about 500ml so I will probably just chuck those in the container I use to keep my foreshots and I recycle it by adding it to the mower jerry can, use it to clean windows/mirrors, chuck it on the fire to get it started etc.

:text-+1:
I just throw the heads and keep the tails. Reckon i'm not alone there either. Of course cleaning yr bumpers with it is a very good use :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Dominator » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Here are some pic's from the build process.

The PC is 550mm of 2" with 8 x 3/8 internal tubes, the 3/8 was soft drawn/annealed so I made them wonky through the condenser to increase its efficency. As a result, it has no worries knocking down 4800w and could handle heaps more.

The plates are FSD perf plates, for the price and quality you would have to be mad to make your own. I made my own down comers using 5/8" copper pipe, I expanded the top of the D/C to 3/4 and soldered a 1" cap to the bottom. Bath depth is 25mm and the vapour lock is about 5mm.

Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby Dominator » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:05 pm

Like I said earlier, the idea of this build was to make a user friendly, versatile, quality bubbler and try to keep the cost down. That is why I went for a plate tree. It reduced the number of easy flanges, clamps and seals needed, however I can add/remove plates without too much hassle.

I soldered a piece of 3/8 copper to the plate at the bottom of the tree to keep the threaded rod centered.

Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby Dominator » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:12 pm

A package arrived from Mac today with some SG's and some of his new flat faced seals. All I can say is it is the usual excellent quality and service that can be expected from FSD. :clap: The seals make it heaps easier to fit the SG's, no mucking around with a stanley knife, cutting the ridge off and the fit is perfect first time round. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby Dominator » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:14 pm

Got some polishing done today, here she is set up for a white/light rum run tommorow, 4 plates and a 500mm packed section full of SS scrubbers.

I just need to sort out an extension fot the output to reach down to my parrot. :think:
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:22 pm

Glad they arrived mate, just don't do em up too tight.... they'll seal up real easy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills