Dominator's Multicultural Bubbler

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:32 pm

Do you have seals either side ? That looks like only one seal to me? There's a problem right there if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re:

Postby MacStill » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:43 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:Do you have seals either side ? That looks like only one seal to me? There's a problem right there if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing.

No that's not the problem, this type of set up only needs a seal between the glass and the ferrule ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: Dominator's Multicultural Bubbler

Postby Dominator » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:07 pm

Thanks mac. I might give the copper discs a go if I get time tomorrow. Was a bit reluctant to go that way because I have never used a bubbler so I am a bit intimidated about running blind.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby MacStill » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:37 pm

Dominator wrote:Thanks mac. I might give the copper discs a go if I get time tomorrow. Was a bit reluctant to go that way because I have never used a bubbler so I am a bit intimidated about running blind.

As long as your ABV is steady and the output consistent you'll be right, just run it low n slow and you'll get a decent result :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby ticknaylor » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:14 pm

Bushy wrote:
MacStill wrote:Linno has been using the same sight glasses for nearly a year now, he's never broken one, and pulls his rig apart after every run.

Now that right there is dedication. ^:)^
I find the tri-clamps are really loose when the rigs cold and have fallen victim to tweakin em up, when it's cold, and then glass has cracked during run. Lesson learned. Check em when she starts to heat up. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Reckon yr right about the seals Mac. The gap on that clamp is a bit large. Better send him a couple of extra seals just in case.......you know

:text-+1: I try to undo them all half a turn after each run because I know the next run im gunna tighten them back up so they don't keep getting tighter and crack.

I thrown my little 2 inch glasses 7 feet in the air when they burnt me middle of a run because I found a leak in a flange all I had was a chip borosilicate is strong shit :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ticknaylor

Postby Bushy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:17 pm

ticknaylor wrote:
Bushy wrote:
MacStill wrote:Linno has been using the same sight glasses for nearly a year now, he's never broken one, and pulls his rig apart after every run.

Now that right there is dedication. ^:)^
I find the tri-clamps are really loose when the rigs cold and have fallen victim to tweakin em up, when it's cold, and then glass has cracked during run. Lesson learned. Check em when she starts to heat up. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Reckon yr right about the seals Mac. The gap on that clamp is a bit large. Better send him a couple of extra seals just in case.......you know

:text-+1: I try to undo them all half a turn after each run because I know the next run im gunna tighten them back up so they don't keep getting tighter and crack.

I thrown my little 2 inch glasses 7 feet in the air when they burnt me middle of a run because I found a leak in a flange all I had was a chip borosilicate is strong shit :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Fuck mate. I didn't say juggle em, just tighten em up a little bit when they're hot.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby ticknaylor » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:27 pm

hahaha yeah some of the best lessons are learnt the hard way which definitely applies to my stilling journey :))
ticknaylor

Postby Dominator » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:38 am

I flattened out some spare 2" I have and made a couple of discs, so with some luck today I will give her a run. :pray:

I was just having a browse of the FSD web store, and after this debacle the SSG tee's @$100 are very tempting. :))
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby greenguy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:22 am

What a bummer
im glad i went with the SSG'S im a clumsy fucker and no doubt would have broken them
the bubbler is looking good though :handgestures-thumbupleft:
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Postby Dominator » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:13 pm

Did a sacrifical alcohol run today and I am bloody wrapped. Had some leaks to start with but once they were sorted I pulled a constant 93% through the run at 2LPH. I could not get it to run any faster, even with the RC running as slow as possible. It could be to do with my cooling set up as I run cold water to my RC and not warm water from the PC.
Regardless I am more than happy, the distillate started comming off yellow, kinda looked like urine, if it was not for my SSG fill port I would have thought it was puking, but by half way through it had cleared up and was nice and clean.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby dogbreath vodka » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:41 pm

Dominator wrote:Did a sacrifical alcohol run today and I am bloody wrapped. Had some leaks to start with but once they were sorted I pulled a constant 93% through the run at 2LPH. I could not get it to run any faster, even with the RC running as slow as possible.

More heat?

Glad things worked out for you quickly. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

BUT

:text-worthless:

:D

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby JayD » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:01 pm

re broken sg's... What I have found with the three inch sg I have there is a slight bevel on one side and the other is flat, we put the flat side to the seal so the clamp goes over easier and only tighten it enough for a good seal...a very light smear of vasoline helps too...
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Dominator » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:49 pm

Yeah I considered that DBV but I didnt want to add in the secomd element untill I have some sight glasses, would rather run a bit slow than flood the column.

Thanks Jay, I will do that when I get my new SG's.

Heres a pic for you DB. my brewing/distilling corner is coming together.

Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby 1 2many » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:18 pm

Dom you will be rapt with the FSD SSG there awesome you wonn't brake that glass in a hurry. Set up looks grouse mate what material are you using for you blanket ? :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby dogbreath vodka » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:44 pm

I reckon you will be filling those empties real quick with that still. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

But the copper really does need a polish to match up with the bling bling stainless. :D

Tell ya Missus you're going to the shed to polish your pipe. :-D
That should get some reaction.

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Dominator » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:49 pm

Yeah 1 2, I have got the SSG for my fill port. They have a serious piece of glass in them. My blanket is made from air cell insulation. It was used on the external walls of the house my inlaws built recently so I grabbed some off cuts.
Yeah I will get to the polishing eventualy.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Dominator wrote: I pulled a constant 93% through the run at 2LPH. I could not get it to run any faster, even with the RC running as slow as possible.

That's not too bad for your first run blind, and about as good as you can expect first run anyway.... give it a few runs and I'll be surprised if you cant improve take off rates, you only just met so give her time before you expect her to put out too much :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Dominator » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:05 pm

Thank Mac, I was pretty bloody happy with the run.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby Dominator » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:35 pm

Done another run today, however my distillate is still coming out yellow. ~x(
My cleaning run yesterday the first jar (I collect in 250ml lots) was yellow then the second not as bad and so on untill about the fourth of fifth jar then it was pretty much clear. I put that down to just crap coming out of the boiler/still. But today it happened again, by the third jar it had cleared up this time. It is not puking and I don't know what would cause this. :think: Guess I will have to chuck todays run in the fores jar and put another wash down. :angry-banghead:
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:20 pm

Mate if it's coming out yellow then it does sound like its puking. I reckon that's wash in your distillate. Now is it too much heat? What are you throwing at this? Or could it be not enough cooling in the column to knock it back down?

You're on the right track though, nothing lost yet - just chuck it into the next run.

Oh and consider easing back on how much is in your boiler too, that might help.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills