Side by side test of 5Star bubble caps v others

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Side by side test of 5Star bubble caps v others

Postby troglodyte » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:37 am

MacStill wrote:2 posts and you want to argue already, I kind of get the feeling your intentions here aren't great ;-)

I can tell you the opening of the DC makes a huge difference, and that the size of the opening is more important than the tube that delivers the distillate to the lower plate.

I know this because I've built & run stills with different variations of DC's, and since making the opening larger my flooding issues have disappeared.... FACT!

Mac pm sent. I'm not trying to cause trouble, have no bad intentions. The reason your larger opening helps with flooding is because it holds a larger fluid volume which helps bubbles to escape, before they get into the downcomer tube, where they want to rise pushing fluid back onto the plate stopping it from draining.

Trog.
troglodyte

equipment: 2L pot still

Re: Side by side test of 5Star bubble caps v others

Postby Dominator » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:56 pm

jim wrote:The larger opening keeps the froth from clogging the drain. As the bubbles settle down, the liquid drains through the smaller hole. Its really two different states. Commercial plates deal with this by having a "calming zone" where no froth is generated near the DC, but having an oversize opening has much the same effect.

:text-+1: I was thinking the same thing, thanks for confirming it for me.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills