Side by side test of 5Star bubble caps v others

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Side by side test of 5Star bubble caps v others

Postby the Doctor » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:17 pm

Firstly I appologise for posting this on another forum but felt that it is a pertinent test which is important to those who have or are thinking of a bubble cap still. Please remove if against policy.

I did a test today of the new 5 star bubble caps versus my old bubble caps, I placed the two different cap plates into my 4 inch still for a whiskey run with a total of 3 plates. And I must say that the difference was imediately evident. The new 5 Star plates held more product in an active bubble state. It balanced beautifuly and was just so much better. I will do a side by side video to show just how much better. I am going to replace all my plates now. Not only do they perform better... they are all stainless and copper...NO BRASS. which is an essential for me. Very happy. I could not believe the imediate difference that these new plates made. I am not used to seeing the entire plate bubbling at the rate it was. The throughput was quicker and the quality, superb. Well done Mac, I thought they were good, but until now as I had not placed them in the same still side by side. I had no idea how good ...but mate they are superb, cheers.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Re: Side by side test of 5Star bubble caps v others

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Thats good news Doc .So I'm guessing the brass makes diddly squat difference other than being a nasty . So what is physically different between the two plates that makes 5stars work so good ?
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Jonno » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:38 pm

It'd be interesting to know what the actual physical differences are. Maybe the height of the caps are higher?
Jonno

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:52 pm

Jonno wrote:It'd be interesting to know what the actual physical differences are. Maybe the height of the caps are higher?

I'l buy a 5star one :handgestures-thumbupleft: ,You buy the other one :laughing-rolling: .we'll get our micrometers out and swap notes :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby greenguy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:01 pm

Making me even more excited doc
I can't wait to get bubbling :handgestures-thumbupleft:
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Postby Jonno » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:16 pm

I've got the other one ;-) hence I wanna find out lol
Jonno

Postby jdonly1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:18 pm

greenguy wrote:Making me even more excited doc

Same here,ours should be getting close :D
jdonly1

equipment: 50 litre pot still
315 Litre boiler and 4 inch stripper
2 inch VM on 50l Keg (now retired)
4 inch VM (aka the BIG PRICK) on 315litre boiler
Soon to come 6 inch Mac bubblier on 205 litre boiler
6 inch stripper on 300 litre boiler

Postby the Doctor » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:19 pm

Guys the biggest difference seems to be the exit holes on the riser is both larger by about .3mm the riser to downcomer heights are better thought out. The fluid bed is deeper but not flooded as the bubbles are active to the plate floor. There was definately more product on the plate and the bubble activity was much more active. I felt that the one plate increased the speed of my run...and I just ordered another 5 plates. So I am one happy camper. I hope I can get a break to shoot some video to do a split screen of the plates or I could put a go pro camera in the actual still. Even my distillery assistant Ian came up to me and said holy cow why is one plate flooded...I gave him my torch and said have another closer look...and he said he could not believe the volume of product that was happily bubbling away. We sat down with a coffee and just watched it for our break...it is bloody good when something works that good out of the box.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby 1 2many » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:33 pm

Funny you said that Doc with the gopro i had visions of doing the same thing ,have the black edition just use your smart phone to view and record , and now playback. ;-)
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby MacStill » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:03 pm

It's been said before I copy things, but It's evident, simply copying something against developing and improving, are two completely different things.

After hand crafting & building so many so many plated columns, then running them, there's certain things one learns about these rigs..... and how they work is something I've always been interested in improving.

Sure there's similarities in pics to other designs, but that's where it ends..... period!!!

Lets get serious about distilling, the 5 star way :happy-partydance:

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:33 pm

Bloody Hell Mac....here I am typing a similar thing on a different forum....I come back here and you've said it
Find ya own bloody subject to talk about :teasing-tease:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:38 pm

SBB wrote:Bloody Hell Mac....here I am typing a similar thing on a different forum....I come back here and you've said it
Find ya own bloody subject to talk about :teasing-tease:

OK the floor is yours, I'll get back to doing the things I do best :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Just ordered a bunch of parts the weldless crew are gunna love :-B
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:44 pm

Yeah right get back out in the shed where ya belong :teasing-tease:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:20 pm

SBB wrote:Yeah right get back out in the shed where ya belong :teasing-tease:

OK b-(
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby the Doctor » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:19 am

I have a bit on the dance card today but will try to shoot some vidseo of the two caps side by side. I am starting a spirit run so once everything is balanced, I will give it a shot.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Dominator » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:59 am

the Doctor wrote:Guys the biggest difference seems to be the exit holes on the riser is both larger by about .3mm the riser to downcomer heights are better thought out. The fluid bed is deeper but not flooded as the bubbles are active to the plate floor. There was definately more product on the plate and the bubble activity was much more active. I felt that the one plate increased the speed of my run...and I just ordered another 5 plates. So I am one happy camper. I hope I can get a break to shoot some video to do a split screen of the plates or I could put a go pro camera in the actual still. Even my distillery assistant Ian came up to me and said holy cow why is one plate flooded...I gave him my torch and said have another closer look...and he said he could not believe the volume of product that was happily bubbling away. We sat down with a coffee and just watched it for our break...it is bloody good when something works that good out of the box.
Doc

It is crazy to think that things that seem so minor, like the riser to downcomer relationship, can make such a difference. It just goes to show how much effort Mac puts into developing his gear, and not just 'copy other designs' or throw it together. CONGRATULATIONS MAC! The small advances and developments you make every day are what put, and will keep, FSD on top. As they say, the proof is in the pudding and this time the pudding is the results of a test by very experienced distiller, thanks Doc. :handgestures-thumbupleft: Now hurry up and make with the videos. :))
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Jonno » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:02 am

I just measured measured the hole in my risers and they were a 4mm hole. Actually i lie, its to hard to measure that size lol i just put a few drill bits through till it wouldn't go through anymore :laughing-rolling:

I might buy myself some of your caps mac to do my own side my side. From the few times i've ran my the bubbler and that's only a few times it looks pretty vigurous bubbling but i dont know what others look like :laughing-rolling:

See how we go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Jonno

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:13 am

Jonno I think you have other issues that need sorting out before you go doing comparisons, from what I've seen you're yet to run yours properly :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:28 am

jdonly1 wrote:
greenguy wrote:Making me even more excited doc

Same here,ours should be getting close :D

I'll be taking delivery of a few 6" rigs shortly mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Jonno » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:17 pm

MacStill wrote:Jonno I think you have other issues that need sorting out before you go doing comparisons, from what I've seen you're yet to run yours properly :teasing-neener:

Your right, i'm still working it out haha, these bubblers aren't as simple as some make it out to be :laughing-rolling:

I'll get there in the end :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Jonno

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills