Plumbing a plated still

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Plumbing a plated still

Postby greenguy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:45 pm

Hey guys
Since my new toy is all most here what do you all recommend on plumbing for my FSD 4" SSG ?
Iv been running a pot still with a worm for a long time so any help would be great I'm pretty sure its 1/2" bsp on the still
If there is a thread point me in the right direction

Pics would be great explaining whats going on :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Mitch
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Re: Plumbing a plated still

Postby MacStill » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:04 pm

1/2" BSP is correct :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I use a gate valve on the inlet side of each condenser, and split the feed with a "Y" from the pump, then each condenser has it's own outlet line back to the tank.

The SS braided plumbing lines are great, the ones used for plumbing toilets, taps etc in houses.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby greenguy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:20 pm

Sorted will go get some braided line today and a Y i will be running of the mains for the time being i don't pay water my land lord does :handgestures-thumbupleft: will get some gate valves of the net too

Do you guys go inlet at the bottom the outlet at the top?
greenguy

Postby MacStill » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:22 pm

greenguy wrote:
Do you guys go inlet at the bottom the outlet at the top?

Yep :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:10 pm

MacStill wrote:1/2" BSP is correct :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I use a gate valve on the inlet side of each condenser, and split the feed with a "Y" from the pump, then each condenser has it's own outlet line back to the tank.

The SS braided plumbing lines are great, the ones used for plumbing toilets, taps etc in houses.

With the setup you have described I understand having a valve on the inlet for the RC but because you are not using warmed water from the PC I don't understand the need for a valve on the inlet of the PC, other than to create back pressure so the RC can load up. I was under the impression the PC could run flat out. :-B
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Dominator » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:21 pm

Yeah but he is not running on a recirculating system so running the PC flat out will just waste water.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby MacStill » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:25 pm

There's no hard and fast rules on how you plumb up your condensers, I just explained how I have mine done.

On my rig the PC valve never gets adjusted during a run, the valve is generally set at about half open, but when I disconnect my still from the boiler and cooling tank I can stop any chances of the IBC syphoning dry by closing the valves.

I've often said for the novice plate still user 1 valve running through both condensers is good, because it removes another variable that can cause confusion, and it's a good way to get to learn how the still operates with small adjustments.

It really isn't rocket science like some of the posts and videos around suggest, just keep it simple and repeatable until you're confident, then change the cooling to 12 valves if you want :teasing-neener:

The most important thing of all that traps many a new plate still user is variable water pressures, like running your rig on mains while all your mates are using the toilet and the mrs is using the dishwasher, this will ruin your run guaranteed with all the pressure fluctuations.

;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:32 pm

Thank you all clear now. Going to work on cooling setup today.

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby greenguy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:43 pm

Dominator wrote:Yeah but he is not running on a recirculating system so running the PC flat out will just waste water.

This is true but i will be soon anuff so for the matter of $20 i will get two valves
Was going to get every thing today but i will wait till the beast is here and set it up so i know how much of every thing i need i think im going to make some thing up like a control panel with the two valves on it that i can mount on my wall
cheers all for ya help
Now i just need the plane to hurry up :laughing-rolling:
greenguy

Postby Bushy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:59 pm

To prevent fluctuations in household pressures, put a 100kpa pressure reducer inline before the condensors. Acts as a buffer. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby greenguy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:05 pm

greenguy

Postby Bushy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:19 pm

The 7dollar one. Normal garden hose threads. Piece of piss.
Bushy

Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby greenguy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Sweet will c if bunnings over here has em shore they will :handgestures-thumbupleft:
greenguy

Postby TBone » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:37 pm

Dude this is sweet!

I'll be referring to this thread in a few months when I get mine!
TBone

equipment: 5 Star Mac 4 SSG
50L keg boiler
Grainfather brewing system

Postby drunkmore » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:00 pm

If you put valves in and don't want to get confused, they can be left open ( zip tied...to be safe) until such time as you are confident enough to engage them.
Beats having your rig changed when its new valves are fitted.
Although I don't use one, ( different still) think a flow meter is a good idea for being able to repeat the run. It's amazing how a 16th of a turn on a needle valve can be a huge difference in flow rate.
drunkmore

equipment: Pda1 over a 50ltr Keg cooled via recirculated 2000 ltr water tank
Cookan with Gass

Postby greenguy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:06 pm

needle valves pissed me off on my last reflux still way to temperamental flow meter well could do put ill just do what i use to do and put a 1ltr pyrex just on the out put to measure if need be
Im not in to temp gauges or making marks on ware it was on the last run i reckon its better to learn the still so u can adjust as need be im all for taking notes and all but i wana be able to just drive it like i do with my pot still :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Im gona run with two 1/2" gate valves for the input at work we have two massive stainless Laser's so will get the boys to cut me a panel to mount on the wall that will house the valves and plumbing behind it

All so found a guy who sell's 1/2" braided hose for cheap as 1.5 meters $12 :happy-partydance: so will run with braided hose and brass hose fittings to make it look good
greenguy

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:12 pm

greenguy wrote:
Im gona run with two 1/2" gate valves for the input at work we have two massive stainless Laser's so will get the boys to cut me a panel to mount on the wall that will house the valves and plumbing behind it

All so found a guy who sell's 1/2" braided hose for cheap as 1.5 meters $12 :happy-partydance: so will run with braided hose and brass hose fittings to make it look good

This is how I like my rig these days, valves mounted away from the still suits me fine :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Bushy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:43 pm

This should be turning up shortly
ux_a13061800ux0061_ux_g02.jpg

After I insulated my boiler and column I struggled to find that little sweet spot on me gate valve. Hopefully this thing will take some of the guesswork out of it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bushy

Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Dominator » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:14 am

Bushy wrote:This should be turning up shortly

After I insulated my boiler and column I struggled to find that little sweet spot on me gate valve. Hopefully this thing will take some of the guesswork out of it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I got one of those recently and it shits all over my gate valve. Like you said, it takes the guesswork out of your water flow.

Oh and thanks for the tip on the pressure reducer. I will get one and see if it can dampen the fluctuations in my water pump. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby blond.chap » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:59 am

Bushy wrote:This should be turning up shortly

I got 2:
WP_000051.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills