Greaneys 4" bubbler attempt !!

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Greaneys 4" bubbler attempt !!

Postby Greaney » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:20 pm

Hey guys
I haven't posted here much before, but i have done alot of researching and reading on this site and i have decided to try and build a bubbler :) . Something very similar to Bushy's looks great.

This is some of the gear I have to begin with Image

And some of the equipment I have purchased

I am looking to build this mostly with soft soldering and making ez flanges and reducers hopefully without having to fork out 30$ at Reece's. I have a fair bit of time and not really a tight budget.

I am looking to flip my keg upside down to use the 2" for a drain and connect a 4" on the bottom that will connect straight up to my column. Is this a good idea? If not all information would be greatly appreciated. Also regarding length of the main column , and the other condensers ?

I live on the North-side of Brisbane also :) i want to be able to create rum and whiskey without losing the flavour. I currently own a T500

Thanks
Greaney
Greaney

equipment: t500 and stainless steel filter :)

Re: Greaneys 4" bubbler attempt !!

Postby 1 2many » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Sounds good mate the upside down keg is what i am doing, Are you going electric or running gas ? you can solder the ferules but the 4" has a fair bit of stress might be better to weld. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=3944
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Greaney » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:47 pm

Oh yes ! I have looked at your build a few times! It looks great i am going to go electric as a temp controller would be the best option for me i think !

Looks like one of my photos didn't work ill try link again
The guy from the scrap yard hooked me up with the stainless steel drum also and said I might be able to use that as a boiler also.
I will be sussing out some legs and some copper to make ferrules tomorrow I think .
It is so hard not having any gear so it looks like ill be doing a fair bit of shopping for hole saws, a good hammer and i even need some type of solid steel to use as an anvil :) !!!

This is going to keep me buzy for a while ! . One more thing when making the rings for the ferrules what size tube do i use for 4" and can I braze the rings with a propane torch or this MAP i've read about. So much to read and try to remember, i have started noting everything down .
Greaney

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:50 pm

Good luck Greaney . My first bit of advice is throw that bernzomatic flux in the bin and buy some Bakers or Comweld 965.

Way too many builders have had sad moments due to that shitty flux

Braze with Mapp .Copper to copper needs no flux
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Greaney » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:05 pm

Thanks for the help guys !!
Greaney

Postby Jonno » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:08 pm

Hey man, good to see ya givin it a go!

Your right, your work turn around is short as :laughing-rolling:
Jonno

Postby Greaney » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Yeah Jonno

Have 4 days off while everyones at work i haven't even touched the copper yet , what length does your bubbler come to with just the four modules connected ? I may have to order some dominoes and i need some DAP for a few of the washes im going to put down. I have so much on my mind and i just want to get into cutting and welding :)) .
Greaney

Postby Jonno » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Each module is around 150long. I shot you a text! Get back to me
Jonno

Return to Plated Column Stills