Advantages of a bubbler plate?

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Advantages of a bubbler plate?

Postby Valoren » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:30 pm

G'day again guys, I must say I'm grateful that I discovered this site before going out buying another product, Now at the moment I'm just running a copper still that I bought off Ebay hooked up to a 50 L keg, I must say that the plated stills on this site look pretty fucking epic and I just want to know what the advantages are compared to the unit ive got now, There's no valves on mine to slow output of spirit and I manage incoming water with a nylon olive over my tap. It produces 94 to 95.6 ish with full packing, I've yet to run it without packing since all I've run up to this point is neutrals and TPW but I'm about to run a rum wash through it without any packing. It produces a nice clean neutral but im not sure if it's going to be very suitable detuned.

Since you guys seem to really be loving the plated bubbler cap stills could you list some of the advantages i'd get if I switched?
Valoren

equipment: copper still head, reflux, 50 l stainless keg boiler, 2200 watt element.

Re: Advantages of a bubbler plate?

Postby MacStill » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:36 pm

I hope you dont mind, however I just edited your post a little, we prefer not to mention certain names here... it's just nicer that way :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby MacStill » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:45 pm

Valoren,

There are many advantages to running plated stills, that's why they're so popular.

A shortlist:

Advantages

Speed
Single runs
high purity
big flavours
Modular = versatile as vodka/neutral column as well
very simple still to run

Disadvantages:

You'll spend more time playing with your column than with your mrs

I cant think of anything else :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Dominator » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:35 am

Yep, what Mac said. A 4in plated column will produce at about 2.5L per hour. Depending on the configuration it will run anywhere from high 80's (%ABV) up to azeotrope, and will do it in a single run, so no more strippimg then spirit runs. I have a 4 plate setup and my still runs at 92-93%. Even though produces at a high ABV, it will still retain full flavour for rum and whisky, for neutrals you can add a packed section with SS/copper or with scoria/volcanic rock packing. The more plates you have, the higher your ABV and the less flavour, so by adding or removing plates or packed sections you can easly change your still to suit rum, neutral or even gin.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Valoren » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:09 pm

What's the rough cost for a decent bubbler plate, my still cost me two twenty on Ebay and it's a hundred times better than the first "Reflux" still from the home brew store, Not the t500 the older version, I've made the cost of my still back ten fold but i do need to consider the cost. I already have a 50 L keg boiler so I don't need a new one of those. The bubbler plates ive seen just look epic, it's like a massive copper booze producing flute! My copper unit polishes up nice but its not exactly a conversation piece!

Any other benefits?
Valoren

equipment: copper still head, reflux, 50 l stainless keg boiler, 2200 watt element.

Postby MacStill » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:17 pm

Valoren wrote:What's the rough cost for a decent bubbler plate

See this topic mate ;-)

5 Star's Heart Stopping bubble cap still Deal :teasing-neener:

:D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Valoren » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:19 pm

It's going to be a while before I can afford that unit but it looks awesome, I'm assuming it's all copper? Also that there's no silicone gaskets? (Don't want that shit in my product!)
Valoren

Postby MacStill » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:24 pm

I'm guessing you didnt even read the thread, never mind.... keep researching ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:10 pm

If I wasn't so hell-bent on doing everything I possibly can myself, I'd already have one of Mac's 4" SSG bubblers on its way...

The tinkerer in me wants to build my own, though, so I'm forever destined to sift through the scrap heaps looking for 4" copper. I do have access to plenty of stainless pipe, though...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Fatherjack » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:48 pm

For Me, its shiny, its got windows & by fuck it separates the good, the bad from the ugly
Fatherjack

equipment: 50l keg boiler
Mac pot still

Postby MacStill » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:51 pm

Fatherjack wrote:For Me, its shiny, its got windows & by fuck it separates the good, the bad from the ugly

Yes I generally like to be separated when running mine too, the bad and ugly knows better than to bother me when I'm playing with my column :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Dominator » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:28 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:If I wasn't so hell-bent on doing everything I possibly can myself, I'd already have one of Mac's 4" SSG bubblers on its way...

The tinkerer in me wants to build my own, though, so I'm forever destined to sift through the scrap heaps looking for 4" copper. I do have access to plenty of stainless pipe, though...

That's why I built part of mine and I got some bits from Mac. The best of both worlds.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Valoren » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:24 pm

MacStill wrote:I'm guessing you didnt even read the thread, never mind.... keep researching ;-)

Got your stuff mixed up with some american company! my fault. I'll re read it; Also great looking website.
Valoren

Postby ticknaylor » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:28 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:If I wasn't so hell-bent on doing everything I possibly can myself, I'd already have one of Mac's 4" SSG bubblers on its way...

Definitely agree I love building its fun and ya get better at it with every build. If ya want the rolls Royce Macs got it covered no question high quality. Edit I didn't enjoy drilling my perf plates but did everything else
ticknaylor

Return to Plated Column Stills