Port or bare probe??

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Port or bare probe??

Postby CH3CH2OH » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:52 am

I am looking at putting a thermometer above the rc. I was planning on just drilling a 3/8 hole in my 4" to 2" reducer or the ascending section of my 180' bend, put the bare probe through a cork and into the vapour path above the rc.

With the probe being above the reflux condenser and falling condensate do you think I can get away with no thermo port and get accurate readings with the bare probe? It worked well in the bok under the top plate.
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Re: Port or bare probe??

Postby Sam. » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:09 am

As long as its sealed it should no be a problem. Is your still copper or stainless? If copper having a port will be a very accurate reading seeming it has such good heat transfer. Having the bare probe will obviously give the most accurate reading.

Any reason for wanting a thermo on a bubbler? I have never used one and from my understanding about all they are useful for is another guide for the onset of tails. :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby CH3CH2OH » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:56 am

The reducer and 180 are stainless and I'm without a TIG

The reason for the thermometer is more just for keeping records of runs
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Postby crow » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:57 pm

Yeah I use it for the same reason as on all stills, to tell me when the still is about to start. Yeah my thermometer is just a probe type in a cork atm. I have a rye nut soldered into the reducer but just have the cork screwed into that (think horse drawn 911 Porsche ) :laughing-rolling: The thing is the threaded fitting works well for screwing in a hose connection as a flush port as well :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Return to Plated Column Stills