Out With the Old & Into the New. bubbler build.

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Out With the Old & Into the New. bubbler build.

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:20 pm

Only need to control water through deflag,slowly close the water off after it's been refluxing for half hour to start taking product,but when using it for a stripping run I don't even hook the water up to the deflag,just the product condenser and use like a pot still
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:20 pm

I think I said that right :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby emptyglass » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:21 pm

I use a 3 way ball valve (Olddog copy). It works, but I find it a bit twitchy.

Thats why I asked Mc what he thought.

You only need control over the reflux condensor. Product condensor just needs to knock down everything that comes its way
emptyglass

Postby maheel » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:08 pm

Little Dong wrote:I think I said that right :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

sounds right to me, thanks Dong

would you get just as good control from a gate valve ?
i know how a ball is a little harder to make adjustments
maheel

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:50 pm

A gate valve would probably give you more control,and being only on the cooling side of things it wouldn't really matter what it's made of :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I found with the ball valve if you floe it off too far and the temp gets too high when taking product,just open the bitch up again,put her into full reflux and start again. No real biggy,coz once you got her pulling heads it doesn't take much more reduction of the water flow once your into the hearts to keep her running. Set and forget type of thing. Once the temp starts to rise and ABV starts to drop,turn the tap off altogether and collect the tails.
Mate if I can run and build one,you sure as fuck can :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby emptyglass » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:33 pm

Little Dong wrote:Mate if I can run and build one,you sure as fuck can :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'm pretty dumb and I got one done. Not all that light on the pocket, but worth it. The product alone is worth it, dont worry about the savings in run time.

You might want to make sure the gland is nice and tight on a gate valve so it dosn't move once set. A weeny lil spring between the gate and the bonnet/cap over the stem might work also.
Well thats what I was thinking when I looked at that option. Disc vavle would be the same, I guess.
emptyglass

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:38 pm

Spot on EG,would probably work a treat,but even with the ball valve,after you run her a few times,you get feel for the whole show,sorta know where abouts you should be :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:41 pm

I'll be using a poly pipe valve after paying the bill for my newest build :doh:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby emptyglass » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:50 pm

And a fancy build it is.

Nice. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=27722
Last edited by emptyglass on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emptyglass

Postby emptyglass » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:53 pm

Little Dong wrote:Spot on EG,would probably work a treat,but even with the ball valve,after you run her a few times,you get feel for the whole show,sorta know where abouts you should be :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You are right Mr dong. And the price and availability of ball valves makes them hard to go past.
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:56 pm

Hmmmmm full boar 3piece ball valves come with tri clamp fitting too :whistle:

Hmmmmmm :think: :think: :think:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:58 pm

I'm using a 1/2" ball valve on Bertha,and she's a bit of a bitch to run,but almost got her worked out,well as much as you can with a female :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby emptyglass » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:59 pm

You havin a go at my fancy pants 3 way valve?

Was a present from an old boss.
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:03 pm

WineGlass wrote:You havin a go at my fancy pants 3 way valve?

Was a present from an old boss.

Not at all, just thinking how cooooooool those full boar ones would look on my new rig with tri clamp connections...... :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:06 pm

Fuckin Roger that!!! :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Would look way cool!
Cane Toad

Postby R-sole » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:23 am

WineGlass wrote:
Little Dong wrote:Mate if I can run and build one,you sure as fuck can :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'm pretty dumb and I got one done. Not all that light on the pocket, but worth it. The product alone is worth it, dont worry about the savings in run time.

You might want to make sure the gland is nice and tight on a gate valve so it dosn't move once set. A weeny lil spring between the gate and the bonnet/cap over the stem might work also.
Well thats what I was thinking when I looked at that option. Disc vavle would be the same, I guess.

Gate valves also need to be set on the down stroke (ie closing) to avoid creep.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby SBB » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:06 am

maheel wrote:how precise does the water flow need to be?
is control needed more to the Deflag ? or both ?

Maheel I ended up using the same sort of 1/2 inch needle valve as Mac does for water control to the reflux condencer. I open it less than half way to achieve full reflux, i dont have a huge amount of water pressure as I use a small submerible pump.
In hindsight i think i could have used a smaller and cheaper needle valve, especialy if you have plenty of pressure. (town water supply)
I found smaller 3/8 brass needle valves localy for about $35....I now think one of these would have done the job.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:17 am

A $6 brass gate valve from Bunnings will do the job just fine, if you want to build a bubbler and be a real tight arse you could even use a plastic poly pipe valve that cost $2 :laughing-rolling:

I choose to use quality components even if it cost a bit more, but then that's why I could never sell stills on ebay for $200 :text-lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:40 am

You could but would anyone really want to..........I reckon it would be a complete pain in the arse trying to get reflux the way you wanted it.......its fiddly enough using a needle valve.
i dont regret buying the better valve......just pointing out that there may be an alternative.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:59 am

I wasnt disagreeing with you either ;-)

Those $35 ones (if they're the ones I'm thinking of) just come with BSP threads, then they sting you about another $15 a side for the fittings ;-)

I'll probably just use a couple of cheap gate valves on my new build, but only because I have them sitting here with fittings for them from earlier builds.

Also worth pointing out, I always adjust my needle valve on the down stroke as 5Star suggests with gate valves.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills